Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I tried to search and did not find anything.

Lately (past few days) the car has been randomly changing my streaming source with no input from me. I may not have pinned down the exact pattern yet, but I think it has switched from USB to a TuneIn favorite, and also from one TuneIn favorite to another. I believe it has gone to the same TuneIn station every time.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

I will further note for the record that my USB tracks are still arranged alphabetically within folders, which is incredibly annoying and stupid. But I KNOW the USB problems have been discussed to death so I'll leave this one at that.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I tried to search and did not find anything.

Lately (past few days) the car has been randomly changing my streaming source with no input from me. I may not have pinned down the exact pattern yet, but I think it has switched from USB to a TuneIn favorite, and also from one TuneIn favorite to another. I believe it has gone to the same TuneIn station every time.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

I will further note for the record that my USB tracks are still arranged alphabetically within folders, which is incredibly annoying and stupid. But I KNOW the USB problems have been discussed to death so I'll leave this one at that.
Yes. I've experienced the streaming change all by itself. Seems to change to the favorite to the right. happened to me about 5 times in a hour today. rebooted after three, did not fix..

If you touch the clickable surface just above the left scroll wheel, you can inadvertently change to the next favorite. Not saying this is the cause of your streaming change, but it can happen.
This is probably what's happening. This is from the new Owners Manual:
"Next

If you are listening to local or satellite radio and you have defined more than one radio preset, press to play the next preset in the radio band that is currently playing. If you have not defined more than one preset, press to go to the next available frequency.

If you are listening to Internet radio, or to an audio file on a connected Bluetooth or USB device, press to skip to the next song or station.

If you have more than one favorite defined, press and hold to cycle through favorites."

Last edited:
Haven't followed this thread too closely and didn't wade through to see if these were already mentioned (btw, has there been any discussion about splitting this thread in to AP, Media, and other?), though I'd guess it has been and this is just piling on...

1) V8 AP does not recognize white or yellow lines as well as previous version. I've experienced several incidences where there were very clear lines that it didn't see. This behavior did not go away and may have gotten worse with latest point update.

2) A couple of times it's not seemed to be able to figure out how to go straight on a straight road with straight lines. It's swerved quite erratically left and right until I took over. This is on roads I drive often. Never saw this behavior prior to v8

3) Swerve right at top of hill with slight over correction afterwards does not seem to have improved or perhaps improved a very minor bit.

4) Sometimes when it indicates it's following the lines it seem to actually somewhat follow the car in front. This happened today in 5 mph traffic through a construction zone when the car in front slowly moved towards the left and the k-rails that were there. Tesla followed rather than stay near the middle of the very well marked 12' wide lane lines. It saw the k-rails as indicated by the yellow proximity sensors but still didn't move away from them towards the center of the lane. I finally took over rather than allow it to possibly scrap against the k-rails.

OTOH, slows much smoother when approaching a car in front and particularly a car that's stopped. This is very much appreciated.

Reactions: scottf200
Haven't followed this thread too closely and didn't wade through to see if these were already mentioned (btw, has there been any discussion about splitting this thread in to AP, Media, and other?), though I'd guess it has been and this is just piling on...

1) V8 AP does not recognize white or yellow lines as well as previous version. I've experienced several incidences where there were very clear lines that it didn't see. This behavior did not go away and may have gotten worse with latest point update.

2) A couple of times it's not seemed to be able to figure out how to go straight on a straight road with straight lines. It's swerved quite erratically left and right until I took over. This is on roads I drive often. Never saw this behavior prior to v8

3) Swerve right at top of hill with slight over correction afterwards does not seem to have improved or perhaps improved a very minor bit.

4) Sometimes when it indicates it's following the lines it seem to actually somewhat follow the car in front. This happened today in 5 mph traffic through a construction zone when the car in front slowly moved towards the left and the k-rails that were there. Tesla followed rather than stay near the middle of the very well marked 12' wide lane lines. It saw the k-rails as indicated by the yellow proximity sensors but still didn't move away from them towards the center of the lane. I finally took over rather than allow it to possibly scrap against the k-rails.

OTOH, slows much smoother when approaching a car in front and particularly a car that's stopped. This is very much appreciated.
Quick comment, Camera is colorblind, it would not have noticed white/yellow lines anyways.

Reactions: JenniferQ
3 days of driving with 2.42.40: On my roads, I've found Autosteer to be substantially more stable compared to the first 8.0 build. Less likely to lose center around curves and over hills, especially when some of the lane markers are faded.

It's now pretty much on par with if not slightly better than Autosteer in 7.1. Combined with the TACC improvements in all 8.0 builds, I'm a pretty happy camper.

Interesting and thanks for the step by step. I rarely use AM or FM bands just streaming sources; TuneIn radio and Slacker. TuneIn has all my local AM/FM channels anyway and they are much clearer. Have you tried the delete re-add process on those too?

I have for TuneIn. From day 1 of my first Model S in 2013 I have been frustrated that there is no way to easily re-order favorites or place where a new one should go. I like all my talk hanging out together, my jazz in a cluster, and my pop in a group. But when I have inadvertently deleted a favorite and needed to add it back in, it always goes to the bottom of the whole list. So, to get things in the order I want I delete everything from the insertion point to the bottom and add them back in, one by one, in the order I want them listed. This is a huge pain and I don't understand why there is no view that lets you move the favorites to the order you want them in when you are going to progress from one to the next using the prev/next buttons on the steering wheel. Those buttons are useless for me now because I haven't bothered to delete and re-add everything in my list the last few times I needed to, so now I have to take my eyes off the road to scroll to and pick the next station I'd like to change to from the list in the screen.

Reactions: msnow
Changing the subject slightly, I find my vampire drain is less and efficiency on a trip improved. i can't comment on music as my radio is welded to the all Hawaiian station. Also, no Autopilot. The tripplanner was dead on while dealing with big altitude changes and fierce crosswinds.

3 days of driving with 2.42.40: On my roads, I've found Autosteer to be substantially more stable compared to the first 8.0 build. Less likely to lose center around curves and over hills, especially when some of the lane markers are faded.

It's now pretty much on par with if not slightly better than Autosteer in 7.1. Combined with the TACC improvements in all 8.0 builds, I'm a pretty happy camper.

I agree! the 8.0#2 update seems to have improved autosteer back to useful level. My 8.0#1 was all over the place and crossing lane markers frequently but this new update seems to have fixed that issue.

I have for TuneIn. From day 1 of my first Model S in 2013 I have been frustrated that there is no way to easily re-order favorites or place where a new one should go. I like all my talk hanging out together, my jazz in a cluster, and my pop in a group. But when I have inadvertently deleted a favorite and needed to add it back in, it always goes to the bottom of the whole list. So, to get things in the order I want I delete everything from the insertion point to the bottom and add them back in, one by one, in the order I want them listed. This is a huge pain and I don't understand why there is no view that lets you move the favorites to the order you want them in when you are going to progress from one to the next using the prev/next buttons on the steering wheel. Those buttons are useless for me now because I haven't bothered to delete and re-add everything in my list the last few times I needed to, so now I have to take my eyes off the road to scroll to and pick the next station I'd like to change to from the list in the screen.

To organize Tunein favourites, create a free Tunein account on your PC and organize your favourites there. Then login to that account in your Tesla and Voila!

The current behavior in 8.0 is arguably more dangerous, because it forces you to tap on the map, then wait for it to reduce and show the status bar. Your eyes are off the road longer because you cannot immediately reach over and perform an action with one tap, or view status without any taps.

True however I've found that I now tap the screen once without looking at it to get the icons up, then look at screen after that to choose what you want. I find that fine, just need to change the procedure somewhat. IMHO no more dangerous than before.

Cross posted to the Comprehensive Bug List, here are the remaining bugs in v8 with regards to USB playback:

Media Player Bugs as of .40 of v8

1. Search
SEMI-FIXED (text input search works, voice search is hit or miss) Some instance of “ghost results” from previous media that is no longer plugged in. Selecting these items causes the Media Player to not play anything. There should also be an option to apply preferential treatment to search results (USB vs. streaming) and/or eliminate certain sources from results by user preference / Streaming people will want it one way (remove USB results), USB media people will like it the other way (remove streaming results) / Not all results are displayed when clearly there are more matches / What does “Top” mean in search results?

2. Playback Resume
Tracks still reset to beginning when exiting and then returning to the vehicle. Observed slight causality with track resetting when a driver returns to the car after longer than 15min from leaving it – need more testing / passenger door status change may also affect this

3. Bookmark Feature
Especially in light of the ‘Playback Resume’ error, request feature to "Bookmark" exact place (time and album) in audio track and save 3-5 different slots for resuming later / critical for audiobooks and podcasts played via USB / Trying to find an exact timestamp in a file can be dangerous while driving. Allowing a “Favorite” to save the current timestamp and album would suffice for this feature or it can be a separate section: FAVORITES / RECENT / BOOKMARKS

4. Shuffle/Shuffle Toggle
Shuffle is much better, however, there are hints that it is still playing the same set of songs depending on either which song is selected or how many times the shuffle button has been toggled. Entering into the car for the first time of the day results in the last playing song from the night before to play from start but then next series of songs to play are the same repetitive set from the day before. Also, Shuffle still randomly turns off between USB sources, player sources, and entering/existing vehicle, Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources, seems random

5. File Directory Listing
Folders should be listed first alphabetically, and then files next alphabetically / Files and folders still intermixed in Folder View / Do not use tag data for sorting anywhere within Folder View

6. Grammatical Articles Used in Alphabetical Listing
Lists are using ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ as alphabetical markers. These prefixes should be ignored for alphabetical sorting. For example, ‘The Beatles’ should be under “B”, not “T”

7. Multi-artist Album / Multi-disc Albums
Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated / ID3 tag DISCNUMBER should be used when sorting a list of files, should group by disk first, then by track

8. Documentation on USB Functionality
• Expected scan times per track/data size – disclose effect of MCU reboot and list rescan triggers
• Documented hard limits to volume size, individual file size, max number of files, ID3 tag fields
• Physical device support/specifications (Flash/SSD, max. USB output power per port/as a pair)
• Supported Tags
• Supported File Formats
• Supported Playback Formats
• Album Art Size/Type Limitations

9. Directory/File Sorting
Directory listing should place folders at the top in alphabetical order, followed by individual files in alphabetical order

• Informative
Reactions: CSFTN and kevinf311
And here are the most requested features still:

Most Popular Software Enhancement Requests from Ownership:

1. Automatic Volume Leveling based on interior cabin noise, or speed of vehicle

2. "Play Down" from Current Folder View - The first entry inside a folder should be to play everything within that folder, ie. all files listed in that view as well as all the files within the subfolders of that view / should also apply to songs and albums within an artist folder

3. Make Artist and Album Selectable in Now Playing - so that pressing them immediately starts playing the match. For example, if you are in a random mix of songs and Michael Jackson comes on, pressing the Arist Name will begin playing all songs by Michael Jackson. Pressing the Album Name (ex. Bad), will start playing that whole album as the selected playlist, but from that track forward in the album. ALTERNATIVELY, Queue next song, artist, album by making the displayed text in 'Now Playing' hot-linked/clickable, then matches to the field clicked are moved from their existing place in the current playlist to the next track in queue. Essentially, behind the scenes, the Media Player would be performing a “Search USB” function and then automatically selecting the proper matches. This eliminates all that time trying to speak the name correctly and/or type, then browse, then select, through the results on the screen while driving.

4. Playback from Recents - Remember the "playlist" that the 'recent' was a part of when selected / If you play one of these items that was part of an album or list, it should go back into playing the same album or the same list respectively when chosen again

5. Playlist Support (.m3u?)

6. Gapless Playback - for lossless audio formats (AAC and FLAC)

Reactions: Cyclone