Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will say it again. Tesla needs an "ambassador" group that is made up of extremely active Tesla owners with dev/tech experience, that can thoroughly test features, troubleshoot, offer up technical solutions, and follow up on results. Then that same group can funnel in new ideas for features that the ownership base actually want and need.

I disagree. I don't see why Tesla should get, for free, those things which it needs to do on its own dime. I understand the spirit behind your suggestion, but Tesla is spending billions of dollars and it should be investing a fraction of that towards proper software development. A much less expensive and time-consuming option would be to publicly embarrass Tesla at every turn. Invite the news media to your house and show them what a clusterf* Tesla's software has become. Lobby Consumer Reports to write about it. Call your favorite CNN reporter or local consumer news guy or gal, then spread the piece on social media.

Or if every Tesla owner and five of their Tesla owning friends tweeted Musk and Tesla about their sh*tty software, maybe it would get some attention.

Tesla needs a black eye, not freebies.

I disagree. I don't see why Tesla should get, for free, those things which it needs to do on its own dime. I understand the spirit behind your suggestion, but Tesla is spending billions of dollars and it should be investing a fraction of that towards proper software development. A much less expensive and time-consuming option would be to publicly embarrass Tesla at every turn. Invite the news media to your house and show them what a clusterf* Tesla's software has become. Lobby Consumer Reports to write about it. Call your favorite CNN reporter or local consumer news guy or gal, then spread the piece on social media.

Or if every Tesla owner and five of their Tesla owning friends tweeted Musk and Tesla about their sh*tty software, maybe it would get some attention.

Yet they blew the competition away in the latest Consumer Reports Owner Satisfaction Survey. The eye you want to blacken might be too far out of reach.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D and jgs
This is just stupid. Tesla's doing fine. They're paying attention to the important stuff -- driving. Whether or not the entertainment system works perfectly is just so irrelevant. Nobody's going to be pleased when the garage door opener is rock solid and somebody dies because Tesla decided to put their best engineers on making a few loud fools happy with their luxury car.

If there were infinite money, then Tesla could hire the best people for everything. There isn't. They don't. Time spent on one thing is quite clearly time not spent on another. So far as I'm concerned they're prioritizing correctly.

If there were infinite money, then Tesla could hire the best people for everything. There isn't. They don't. Time spent on one thing is quite clearly time not spent on another. So far as I'm concerned they're prioritizing correctly.
I doubt the issue is with funds -- these are not big money issues to solve. I suspect the issue is with a management and organizational structure that is straining to scale. The organization can't walk and chew gum at the same time. This is, unfortunately, a harder problem to solve than money is.

But given that, I agree I'd rather have them spend their limited bandwidth -- whatever the limiting resource truly is -- as they are. Doesn't mean they can't and shouldn't do better in the future, though.

Edit to add: in either case no amount of public shaming is likely to help anyway.

This is just stupid. Tesla's doing fine. They're paying attention to the important stuff -- driving. Whether or not the entertainment system works perfectly is just so irrelevant. Nobody's going to be pleased when the garage door opener is rock solid and somebody dies because Tesla decided to put their best engineers on making a few loud fools happy with their luxury car.

Well to be accurate, it's not just the entertainment system (there's countless threads on that so not so irrelevant to many of the people you call "fools"). AP itself is shaky and that's where the resources and priority seems to be. Navigation has been a joke since it first came out in 2012 (lots of threads on that too). There's also many driving features in addition to Nav such as trip planner that are still on beta. So from a software point of view "Tesla's doing fine" if you have a low bar.

• Love
Reactions: BertL and Andyw2100
Well to be accurate, it's not just the entertainment system (there's countless threads on that so not so irrelevant to many of the people you call "fools"). AP itself is shaky and that's where the resources and priority seems to be. Navigation has been a joke since it first came out in 2012 (lots of threads on that too). There's also many driving features in addition to Nav such as trip planner that are still on beta. So from a software point of view "Tesla's doing fine" if you have a low bar.

But my navigation works fine, my music works great (although I can't figure out why they took away direct channel input on XM) and I like the UI generally. I didn't like the double tap to access controls issue in nav at first but I got used to it and now prefer it. Much cleaner look. There are many things that one or more of us may dislike, and may even vehemently dislike, but in almost every respect, not everyone agrees. Someone(s) at Tesla has made a decision about a number of things in the UI that they feel are good (or are the consequences of decisions internally that are driven by finances, software licenses, available memory and processor speed, software team capabilities, and many other things). Like with every other UI decision in every other product, they may or may not agree with our point of view, or for any of those reasons can't make it happen the way you would like. You are free not to buy another Tesla if your USB music isn't sorted the way you would like, and I totally get it. The things that matter to you are the things that matter to you (collective you in both cases, not you personally). From my perspective, when I sat down and test drove the car, and put it through its driving and software paces, my decision was that on the whole, I was happy with my purchase. I still am. And I also wish I waited until the AP2 hardware came out, but didn't know when that will be, and am happy to have the AP2 folks and Tesla work out the kinks in the next year or two. Multi-billion dollar corporations with huge software and assurance teams make mistakes with software all the time. Sort of seems unfair to require perfection from Tesla in their software when we certainly don't get perfection from Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, etc...

But my navigation works fine, my music works great (although I can't figure out why they took away direct channel input on XM) and I like the UI generally. I didn't like the double tap to access controls issue in nav at first but I got used to it and now prefer it. Much cleaner look. There are many things that one or more of us may dislike, and may even vehemently dislike, but in almost every respect, not everyone agrees. Someone(s) at Tesla has made a decision about a number of things in the UI that they feel are good (or are the consequences of decisions internally that are driven by finances, software licenses, available memory and processor speed, software team capabilities, and many other things). Like with every other UI decision in every other product, they may or may not agree with our point of view, or for any of those reasons can't make it happen the way you would like. You are free not to buy another Tesla if your USB music isn't sorted the way you would like, and I totally get it. The things that matter to you are the things that matter to you (collective you in both cases, not you personally). From my perspective, when I sat down and test drove the car, and put it through its driving and software paces, my decision was that on the whole, I was happy with my purchase. I still am. And I also wish I waited until the AP2 hardware came out, but didn't know when that will be, and am happy to have the AP2 folks and Tesla work out the kinks in the next year or two. Multi-billion dollar corporations with huge software and assurance teams make mistakes with software all the time. Sort of seems unfair to require perfection from Tesla in their software when we certainly don't get perfection from Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, etc...
I guess the problem is the development over time. When a feature is released, it sometimes doesn't work the first time, and that's frustrating (equalizer). Plus, you have things that span multiple versions that go unaddressed (like podcasts restarting). It's not the current state that bothers me, it's the lack of proper testing that allows these things to make it out into the fleet for us to helplessly deal with until Tesla gets around to fixing, if ever.

It all comes down to this, Tesla is better than this. Even if the above way of doing things was acceptable (it's not), they should rise above and put forth a product to be proud of.

From my perspective, when I sat down and test drove the car, and put it through its driving and software paces, my decision was that on the whole, I was happy with my purchase. I still am. And I also wish I waited until the AP2 hardware came out, but didn't know when that will be, and am happy to have the AP2 folks and Tesla work out the kinks in the next year or two. Multi-billion dollar corporations with huge software and assurance teams make mistakes with software all the time. Sort of seems unfair to require perfection from Tesla in their software when we certainly don't get perfection from Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, etc...

But what if after you bought the car, Tesla intentionally broke all those things you were OK with when you bought it?

Most of the things people are all up in arms over worked perfectly in 7.1, 7.0, 6.2, etc, etc. Now, they are demonstrably worse.

BTW, used autopilot on an undivided local road this am and it let me set default to 50 in a 35. Go figure.

It seems like AP looks up in the navigation database the status of the road. If it is defined in there as a 'major arterial road' then the AP is not limited. If not a major arterial road, then AP limited to the speed limit. However, the database with this info is buggy. In suburban Atlanta, the two north/south roads in this area no limit on AP speed setting. Identical divided highway running east/west limited to speed limit.

So work needed by Tesla to get the roads correctly categorized as divided or not, which will make AP much more consistent in behavior.

It seems like AP looks up in the navigation database the status of the road. If it is defined in there as a 'major arterial road' then the AP is not limited. If not a major arterial road, then AP limited to the speed limit. However, the database with this info is buggy. In suburban Atlanta, the two north/south roads in this area no limit on AP speed setting. Identical divided highway running east/west limited to speed limit.

So work needed by Tesla to get the roads correctly categorized as divided or not, which will make AP much more consistent in behavior.

That's not good. What did Tesla say when you reported that error?

Does this make me right about crosssecting,/nearby roads giving false readings?

I will say it again. Tesla needs an "ambassador" group that is made up of extremely active Tesla owners with dev/tech experience, that can thoroughly test features, troubleshoot, offer up technical solutions, and follow up on results. Then that same group can funnel in new ideas for features that the ownership base actually want and need.

I agree but as jdjeff88 says we are that group ultimately. The dilemma that Tesla and almost every other company has when it comes to public "suggestions" is that if they encourage use of those suggestions they open themselves up to lawsuits for compensation for said suggestions. Meaning if there was a group that gave suggestions on features and there was a direct correlation between the person(s) that gave the suggestion and Tesla putting it into the car then they could legally file for compensation for the ideas (Intellectual property). Thats why Tesla has its own forum and monitors forums like this and other blogs so they can take the ideas and use them without having the correlation.

At the end of the day they are listening and whether its the beta/EAP testers or us general owners they are listening its just a matter of what gets prioritized and when it can be implemented.