Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But what if after you bought the car, Tesla intentionally broke all those things you were OK with when you bought it?

Most of the things people are all up in arms over worked perfectly in 7.1, 7.0, 6.2, etc, etc. Now, they are demonstrably worse.

It is definitely subjective. I've accepted that things will change, because the fact that they will change is on the whole entirely positive. Tesla changed the way AP works entirely by allowing radar to be the primary channel for a number of things. In doing so, it has made the car safer in a number of circumstances. That also means that a whole new spate of learning needs to be applied in order for the functionality to be increased and fine tuned. They haven't taken away anything I care about, and have added a number of things that I do care about. I believe the car is more capable that it was in 6.2, 7.0, 7.1 etc... Some changes are clearly driven by regulatory/public pressure, some are to move the car into full self-driving, some are to please some engineer or manager of accountant or EM himself and we may or may not agree. If, at the end of my lease, I am unhappy with how things have ended up, I will simply not get another Tesla. Not saying of course that people have no reason to grouse. It is the internet. It is to be expected!:D

It is definitely subjective. I've accepted that things will change, because the fact that they will change is on the whole entirely positive. Tesla changed the way AP works entirely by allowing radar to be the primary channel for a number of things. In doing so, it has made the car safer in a number of circumstances. That also means that a whole new spate of learning needs to be applied in order for the functionality to be increased and fine tuned. They haven't taken away anything I care about, and have added a number of things that I do care about. I believe the car is more capable that it was in 6.2, 7.0, 7.1 etc... Some changes are clearly driven by regulatory/public pressure, some are to move the car into full self-driving, some are to please some engineer or manager of accountant or EM himself and we may or may not agree. If, at the end of my lease, I am unhappy with how things have ended up, I will simply not get another Tesla. Not saying of course that people have no reason to grouse. It is the internet. It is to be expected!:D
See, I spend hours per day in the car so my take on it is that non-driving functionality is just a bit higher than mediocre. There really have been some great features on an individual level, but the UI in general suffers from an overarching theme:

1. Requireing more button pushes to get to where you need to be
2. Broken features that require workarounds, either away from the car or while driving
3. Severe lack of documentation on incremental releases so that the owner has to use trial/error to figure out what's changed.

Reactions: EVCarGUy and mrElbe
See, I spend hours per day in the car so my take on it is that non-driving functionality is just a bit higher than mediocre. There really have been some great features on an individual level, but the UI in general suffers from an overarching theme:

1. Requireing more button pushes to get to where you need to be
2. Broken features that require workarounds, either away from the car or while driving
3. Severe lack of documentation on incremental releases so that the owner has to use trial/error to figure out what's changed.

Or, looked at more positively:

1. More exercise
2. A chance to exercise your creativity
3. An opportunity to become a detective AND the possibility of surprises!

;)

Jeff, you mention that the car is more capable than it was with the older firmware (6.2, 7.0, 7.1, 8.0). Have you spent time driving/using those firmware versions or are you assuming? I understand you prefaced your comments with your acknowledgement that it is subjective but I think there were things that didn't necessarily change for the better that some people cared about (maybe you would have too) but I was curious to find out if you had tried them.
Also the big change Tesla made to AP was to make the camera work in tandem with the radar for AP. If they have changed this so that radar is now primary I wasn't aware of it.

Whoa! - this is a family friendly forum! :)

Seriously, when you get completely agitated and aggravated with Tesla go drive something else. It always reminds me how good the Model S is when I tend to forget.

Mike

Have you driven a car with start stop, the most annoying ridiculous band aid for efficiency I have ever witnessed. So yeah send them to drive a newer German vehicle

Reactions: gpetti
Have you driven a car with start stop, the most annoying ridiculous band aid for efficiency I have ever witnessed. So yeah send them to drive a newer German vehicle

I know, right? My last M5 had that "feature" but luckily, at that time at least, you could turn it off and it would stay off until you turned it back on. I'm not sure that's the case on all of them...

Mike

Jeff, you mention that the car is more capable than it was with the older firmware (6.2, 7.0, 7.1, 8.0). Have you spent time driving/using those firmware versions or are you assuming? I understand you prefaced your comments with your acknowledgement that it is subjective but I think there were things that didn't necessarily change for the better that some people cared about (maybe you would have too) but I was curious to find out if you had tried them.
Also the big change Tesla made to AP was to make the camera work in tandem with the radar for AP. If they have changed this so that radar is now primary I wasn't aware of it.

Yup, but not as the driver. Been a passenger in model S' in various 6 and 7 firmwares and as a driver in 7.1 and subsequent. I may be overstating the radar but I thought I understood threat camera was primary previously and now radar was primary for some things but working in concert with the camera. In any case my 7.1xxx car did great in AP and my 8.0 got squirrely but in my last update has improved significantly. I care about the driving experience the most. 8.0 broke AP to some extent but my view is that it was broken in order to let it learn to work in the new radar environment.

And I was on a ship for a week over Christmas and as soon as I got behind the wheel again, I fell in love with my car again. And my equalizer settings are still persisting. Of course the car still squeaks every time I stop. I should start a thread!

Yup, but not as the driver. Been a passenger in model S' in various 6 and 7 firmwares and as a driver in 7.1 and subsequent. I may be overstating the radar but I thought I understood threat camera was primary previously and now radar was primary for some things but working in concert with the camera. In any case my 7.1xxx car did great in AP and my 8.0 got squirrely but in my last update has improved significantly. I care about the driving experience the most. 8.0 broke AP to some extent but my view is that it was broken in order to let it learn to work in the new radar environment.

And I was on a ship for a week over Christmas and as soon as I got behind the wheel again, I fell in love with my car again. And my equalizer settings are still persisting. Of course the car still squeaks every time I stop. I should start a thread!
Have you tried driving around without regen on, to give your brakes a little workout? From what I've read its a good idea to use your brakes for real braking every once in a while. I'm not sure how frequently this should be done though. Moderator please move this post into Jeff88's squeaky Tesla thread after he creates it.;)

They haven't taken away anything I care about,

Yet. I predict your view will change when they do; mine has.

Have you driven a car with start stop, the most annoying ridiculous band aid for efficiency

I thought that too, but I now have the view that it cuts pollution at city intersections and is a health benefit for the unfortunate folk that live there.

Reactions: thecloud
I've tried the regen trick and it doesn't really help. Going in for service soon.

Start stop worked well on my A-8s, but the problem in Texas is that because of the heat and a/c demand, the car will sometimes only shut down for 10 seconds until it has to restart for the climate control.

I swear there was direct channel entry for XM and that is gone and if so that is stupid as far as I am concerned. But I otherwise like the entertainment UI and it works better and has far more functionality than any of my previous vehicles. So I'm not overly concerned. Maybe 8.1 will bring that back.

If you really want to be upset, try the Mars Easter egg. The rover doesn't move across the map! The orientation just changes. What a waste! If you are going to let me go to Mars in a lander you need to let me explore! Moderator, please move this thread to a new one entitled "Tesla crushes pioneer spirit and Elon Musk will kill those he sends to Mars because he won't let us ever move!"

FullSizeRender.jpg
New warning (at least to me). Appears when manually accelerating above set speed of autopilot. Seems kinda obvious to me.

View attachment 208139 New warning (at least to me). Appears when manually accelerating above set speed of autopilot. Seems kinda obvious to me.
There were times in the past when I would be resting my foot on the accelerator a bit too hard, only to discover the car wasn't braking when I expected it to. It seems this warning addresses that issue.

There were times in the past when I would be resting my foot on the accelerator a bit too hard, only to discover the car wasn't braking when I expected it to. It seems this warning addresses that issue.
It also has a hard rotation between the 3 messages if you choose to drive like that; "will not brake", "autosteer speed reduced", "hold steering wheel".

If you recall, the hold steering wheel warning in the past was a combination of periodic checking for driver presence and AP confidence. In this instance, it's a timed requirement.