Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. a limited access/divided road (what we tend to call an expressway). -- AP will let you set a speed up to 18 mph (might be 15 but I recall someone saying the limitation was 18) over the speed limit but NOT 90 mph or over.

Are you sure about this new "max speed based on some number above the speed limit?" If so, I must have missed the discussion about this.

I agree that there is an overall max--not sure if it is 85 or 90--at which TACC and autosteer can be engaged. I just was not aware that the max speed, on divided highways, has changed recently, and that it was ever based on the speed limit.

Are you sure about this new "max speed based on some number above the speed limit?" If so, I must have missed the discussion about this.

I agree that there is an overall max--not sure if it is 85 or 90--at which TACC and autosteer can be engaged. I just was not aware that the max speed, on divided highways, has changed recently, and that it was ever based on the speed limit.

I could be wrong. I don't have an AP1 car (although I've spent a lot of time driving them (long story)) so I don't have personal experience with the latest AP software update that imposed the new "speed limit only on non-divided/non-limited access roads". I thought I had read someone said that the patch had two different limitations (not including TACC) the speed limit for the non-divided/non-limited access roads and some other number for divided/limited access roads. I do know people are saying the AP trips off line and locks out if you exceed 90 so clearly you can't set it over that. Maybe that is the limit I was thinking of.

Since getting the update, have had a couple instances where cruise control is inactivated and unable to use any driver assistance features per the error alert. Otherwise, camera says it's still calibrating. Giving it one more day then calling Tesla. 75d, 4 days old.

the real problem is the absurdity of the way we set and use speed limits, at least in the U.S.. A law that's intended to be broken as a matter of course

Sat here in UK I have found that discussion surprising. USA has speed limits which everyone ignores (both Enforcement and Public), over here the limits are enforced (being caught 3 times in 4 years results in a driving ban for a couple of months, repeat offence = longer ban) - sure, people speed but are aware they are at risk of getting caught. Ditto front number plates, most of our speed cameras photograph rear plates but we consider front plates necessary for identification after a crime. Ditto no requirement for things like no side-impact-bars on heavy goods vehicles (which has been mandated over here for 20 - 30 years already ...). I find it very hard to understand why that is in a modern 1st World country ... surely: either change the speed limits, or enforce them??

The fact that New Tech may well enforce speed limits is no surprise to me, even though I may find it an annoyance.

The fact that New Tech may well enforce speed limits is no surprise to me, even though I may find it an annoyance.
I am wondering if there is not something with regard to this statement. What if their is some secret, clandestine movement underway to use autonomous vehicles to finally force cars to behave speed limits. Maybe Tesla is part of the conspiracy! ;)

These days I can believe just about anything.

Sat here in UK I have found that discussion surprising. USA has speed limits which everyone ignores (both Enforcement and Public), over here the limits are enforced (being caught 3 times in 4 years results in a driving ban for a couple of months, repeat offence = longer ban) - sure, people speed but are aware they are at risk of getting caught. Ditto front number plates, most of our speed cameras photograph rear plates but we consider front plates necessary for identification after a crime. Ditto no requirement for things like no side-impact-bars on heavy goods vehicles (which has been mandated over here for 20 - 30 years already ...). I find it very hard to understand why that is in a modern 1st World country ... surely: either change the speed limits, or enforce them??

Welcome to the "Wild West"

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I'm on 2.50.114, and yesterday tried AP for the first time since the update, on a short divided stretch of road (about 6km long) with 80kph speed limit - the road heads out of the city to the local university. AP was limited to exactly the speed limit, unlike before. I thought the new only-up-to-the-speed-limit restriction was only on undivided roads? Maybe Tesla's map database is confused and thinks this is a regular city road?? Further towards the university the road does become undivided and twisty though with a lower speed limit. But the portion I tried it on is clearly a dvidied stretch of road.

I'm on 2.50.114, and yesterday tried AP for the first time since the update, on a short divided stretch of road (about 6km long) with 80kph speed limit - the road heads out of the city to the local university. AP was limited to exactly the speed limit, unlike before. I thought the new only-up-to-the-speed-limit restriction was only on undivided roads? Maybe Tesla's map database is confused and thinks this is a regular city road?? Further towards the university the road does become undivided and twisty though with a lower speed limit. But the portion I tried it on is clearly a dvidied stretch of road.

It's probably Google Maps that's confused. My brother participates in the crowd-sourced map editing for Google maps and we were fixing some issues the other day.

I was SHOCKED at how many errors are in Google's database.

I believe the term is limited access road for there not to be the limit. Which means it must have on and off ramps and no cross traffic, as in intersections

I believe the term is limited access road for there not to be the limit. Which means it must have on and off ramps and no cross traffic, as in intersections

I'm not certain what Tesla's intent was, but my experience is that you generally don't have the limit on any road with a physical divider or median between the opposing sets of traffic lanes, regardless of traffic lights and potential cross traffic.

I'm not certain what Tesla's intent was, but my experience is that you generally don't have the limit on any road with a physical divider or median between the opposing sets of traffic lanes, regardless of traffic lights and potential cross traffic.
well this particular road has a very wide grassy median, no cross traffic and no traffic lights for about a 6km stretch. no limit with AP prior to this latest update. This particular road example isn't a too big an annoyance - it's not like I HAVE to use AP on it, it's just that I can see how this new limit is a PIA for other legitimate stretches of road that others are experiencing. BTW if this is some kind of maps database error, is there some way to report it?

The term Tesla has used are divided, limited access roads.

The divided is pretty clear. Limited access means it is a road with on-ramps and off-ramps. It sounds like the road you were driving was not that, but rather a divided road with a 6 km straightaway. That would not qualify...

The term Tesla has used are divided, limited access roads.

The divided is pretty clear. Limited access means it is a road with on-ramps and off-ramps. It sounds like the road you were driving was not that, but rather a divided road with a 6 km straightaway. That would not qualify...

Although I've seen it unrestricted on many divided, non-limited access roadways.

In over 10,000+ miles of driving between firmware 7.0 and 8.0, I have yet to see either the TACC or AP reduce my speed based upon a speed limit sign. I've tried to replicate this behavior on the freeway and on city streets, but I've never seen the car actually slow down based on a sign. The camera will read a sign and display the new slower speed limit, but no adjustment in speed for TACC or AP. What am I missing?

In over 10,000+ miles of driving between firmware 7.0 and 8.0, I have yet to see either the TACC or AP reduce my speed based upon a speed limit sign. I've tried to replicate this behavior on the freeway and on city streets, but I've never seen the car actually slow down based on a sign. The camera will read a sign and display the new slower speed limit, but no adjustment in speed for TACC or AP. What am I missing?

I'm not sure.

In any case make sure to test it using the full AP, and not just TACC. On a surface street that has a 45mph speed limit try setting AP to go 55mph. It will force it to either 50mph, or 45mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Although I've seen it unrestricted on many divided, non-limited access roadways.
Was that since the latest update (2.50.114)? That was the case with the AP1 software -- there were no speed restrictions on any roads. With the new software, the restriction appears to be 90mph on divided/limited-access roads, the speed limit on roads not meeting that criteria. This new restriction is one of the things many AP1 users are unhappy about.
Apologies if I have missed this but my AP will not go 5 MPH over the limit, like it used to do, on a non-divided road. It happened after I updated to 2.50.114 on 12/23/16. This was the update that added the additional EQ bands to the Hi-Fi.
Yes, this has been discussed extensively in this thread and others. The old limitation of 5mph over the limit was apparently lowered to the speed limit with the latest software update for AP1 cars....

AP has slowed down my vehicle when lower speed limit sign is detected compared to current speed. TACC wil not slow down.

But it will only do this on a road that is being treated like an undivided highway, right?

You agree that on roads that the Tesla understands to be divided highways, where you can set any speed up to 85 or 90 along with autosteer, the car never reads a lower speed limit and adjusts the speed down. That is one of the features that was demo'd at the D launch event, but that has not been implemented yet.