Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it said temporarily unavailable, what did the road look like in the instrument panel display?

Foggy/rainy weather can create issues in seeing the lane lines in some lighting conditions.

In that case, you'll see no lane lines or just black lines rather than the grey over black lines it shows when AP is tracking the lane correctly but not engaged, and if you try to engage you'll get the temporarily unavailable message.

(There's also no steering wheel in the top right of the speed then.)

I did have only the black road lines and not the gray. But, I'm almost sure that when I successfully engaged it yesterday it also only had black lines. And the steering wheel never appeared yesterday too. It just kicked it when I double tapped the lever.

I did have only the black road lines and not the gray. But, I'm almost sure that when I successfully engaged it yesterday it also only had black lines. And the steering wheel never appeared yesterday too. It just kicked it when I double tapped the lever.
I just received my update yday (hw2) and I as well only saw black lines, even on roads where AP would work. When I engaged it turned blue, and the wheel appeared. Other than that, black lines and no wheel.

Interesting. On AP1, you can't engage with black lines and no steering wheel - you'll get the same temporarily unavailable message mentioned above (if there's a car right in front of you, you might get the steering wheel and be able to engage based on follow the leader instead.)

Upgraded to 17.3.2 late yesterday. Not sure what my previous version was, but it was primitive and the release notes said it was for bug fixes. 17.3.2 worked right from the start. No camera calibration messages. Got it to autosteer on my way to work for about 15 seconds. It was dark out and I felt like it needed to be watched very closely. First Tesla road trip this weekend, Portland to Seattle and back, so good timing for the update. Very exciting.

Reactions: Nevek
So I kept getting the Driver Assistance Features Unavailable and a road that yesterday had black lines on the display today was the foggy road to no where. I spoke to Tesla support and we did the reboots, the power off and the brake and reboot. The last seemed to clear it and I was able to try it out a bit on the way home out of Boston. The irony was the only bit of Rt2 that it let me use it on was moving fast. So I was the slowest car going at 45mph to try it out.

I noticed it twitched quite a bit in the lane and I could see the black lines on the screen dancing a bit. I am hoping they will smooth this out with more data on their part and some improvements to the code.

It definitely isn't as smooth as the AP1 I test drove

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
FWIW nothing that I've seen supports the 8.0.2.52.22 versioning scheme. "8.0" is what we in the industry call the marketing version, and "2.52.22" is the build number that engineering uses.

I'm not exactly sure what the above means. I was providing @JHuberman the full version number because that is what he is going to see when he presses the Tesla T at the top of his 17" display.

FWIW nothing that I've seen supports the 8.0.2.52.22 versioning scheme. "8.0" is what we in the industry call the marketing version, and "2.52.22" is the build number that engineering uses.
I think @Andyw2100 is correct. What you are calling the build number can and probably has been repeated in past major versions (6.2, 7.0, 7.1, 8.0). Therefore the full, unique and complete version is called "v8.0 (2.52.22)" by Tesla.

Reactions: Andyw2100
I noticed it twitched quite a bit in the lane and I could see the black lines on the screen dancing a bit. I am hoping they will smooth this out with more data on their part and some improvements to the code.

It definitely isn't as smooth as the AP1 I test drove[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that made me scratch my head additionally. This version really "dances" as you said. Is not as smooth as AP1. Has many quirks. Makes me wonder if they started over for this. However keeping the faith they will...as you noted.... "smooth this out......improvements to the code."

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure what the above means. I was providing @JHuberman the full version number because that is what he is going to see when he presses the Tesla T at the top of his 17" display.

I just mean don't combine all the numbers together with dots. I'm fine with 8.0 (2.52.22) or just 2.52.22, but 8.0.2.52.22 adds more confusion because it is not any of the Tesla nomenclature version numbers and may add confusion down the road.

(It's just like how Windows 8 was 6.2.9200, and not 8.0.6.2.9200)

(*cough* sorry, spend too much time at my Silicon Valley day job dealing with version numbers)

EDIT #3: The more I think about it the more I think I was pointlessly pedantic. Sorry, must be my day job bleeding through!

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: evp and Andyw2100
I just mean don't combine all the numbers together with dots. I'm fine with 8.0 (2.52.22) or just 2.52.22, but 8.0.2.52.22 adds more confusion because it is not any of the Tesla nomenclature version numbers and may add confusion down the road.

(It's just like how Windows 8 was 6.2.9200, and not 8.0.6.2.9200)

(*cough* sorry, spend too much time at my Silicon Valley day job dealing with version numbers)

Got it. Thanks!

Reactions: chillaban
Thanks for the answers, but I may be slow to pick up on this...
Are we going from software build
8.0 (2.52.120) to build
8.0 (17.3.2)

My MS60 has HW2 and I am still at 2.52.120 and there hasn't been any new features except key fob recognition since I got it Christmas Eve.

Should I expect 8.0 (17.3.2) sometime soon?

Thanks for the answers, but I may be slow to pick up on this...
Are we going from software build
8.0 (2.52.120) to build
8.0 (17.3.2)

My MS60 has HW2 and I am still at 2.52.120 and there hasn't been any new features except key fob recognition since I got it Christmas Eve.

Should I expect 8.0 (17.3.2) sometime soon?
You are going from version v8.0 (2.52.120) to v8.0 (17.3.2) in Tesla terminology.