Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can do that today without any software programing from Tesla. All you need to do it create another driver's profile. Keep everything the same except lowering the steering wheel. You can then press the "Autonomous" profile and it will lower the steering when for you.
Yep, that's what I do... My profile list includes. Normal, long trip(as you describe) , working (stopped, usually charging), exit, and rest.

I just got 17.3.2 and am having problems with the phone connection.
I can control my bluetooth phone through the car, but when I call out the voice does not work in the car, but I can speak and listen on the phone. When someone calls in the audio works like it should. Anyone else have this problem?
(is there a better place to post a bug like this)

You can do that today without any software programing from Tesla. All you need to do it create another driver's profile. Keep everything the same except lowering the steering wheel. You can then press the "Autonomous" profile and it will lower the steering when for you.

Sure. I could also move the steering wheel myself and then choose my profile again when I'm out of autopilot. But it'd be better to have this without having to fiddle with the touchscreen while driving(which I try to avoid as much as possible).

Sure. I could also move the steering wheel myself and then choose my profile again when I'm out of autopilot. But it'd be better to have this without having to fiddle with the touchscreen while driving(which I try to avoid as much as possible).
Agreed. ...but Tesla has elected to not even implement automatic easy in/out like other luxury mfgrs first, so I don't hold a lot of hope for something like this unique to future automous driving. Like others, I always press a profile once a I get into my seat, start to backout while the s-l-o-w profile does it's thing and it's drop-down covers a large part of the backup camera display if I don't want to wait for it all to complete; then after turning my MS off, I press another profile to move the steering wheel in and eject myself from the seat. ;)

The profiles work with my manual use as I get in and then out again -- it's just IMHO some of the more subtle firmware-driven UI and ergonomic things Tesla has forgotten and not prioritized to even care about in recent years, which the more mature mfgrs mastered long ago as standard, and should easily make their way into their competitive EV as they come to market. I love my MS for so many reasons, but truly miss the attention to detail these sort of little things provided me that I enjoyed for so many years in my former Lexus, MBZ and BMWs.

I just got 17.3.2 and am having problems with the phone connection.
I can control my bluetooth phone through the car, but when I call out the voice does not work in the car, but I can speak and listen on the phone. When someone calls in the audio works like it should. Anyone else have this problem?
(is there a better place to post a bug like this)
It might help if you created a signature for yourself that includes what car you have, when it was built and which version of AP HW you're on.

Reactions: Ahisaac
Every car does not get every update. For whatever reason, your car may never get this one, and then could be one of the first to get the next one. Or you may never get the next one too.

Your car will eventually get updated. Try not to sweat it.

And I definitely would not call anyone at Tesla because your car hasn't received one update a few days after some other cars have.
I picked up my car in 12/16. So, of course it has HW2. Per Elon the update is suppose to go to the entire fleet. I'm watching the "firmware" spreadsheet. When I see no updates for a day for 17.3.2 I will absolutely call Tesla to see if they believe I should have gotten the update. And if so do they understand why I have not. I think I'm patient, but I do want to understand what is going on.

I do want to understand what is going on.

FWIW this is a FAQ, plenty of FGA available but here's a summary:

Your car / VIN number needs to get onto a "Release" list, this is done in batches. The update may not be made available to your car at all (OK, I agree that is unlikely for a general release like this); part way through the release all further releases can be aborted (e.g. bug found). Batches are set up to spread the download loading on Tesla servers etc., so it is common for hours / days / weeks to elapsed from first-car to last-car. If you were first this time doesn't mean you will be next time.

Your Country / Territory might be delayed - e.g. regulatory reasons - as might your model etc.

It would help if you park where there is WiFi. Large updates may not ship over LTE etc. initially (cost saving for Tesla), but if your car does not visit WiFi then eventually LTE/whatever will be used

On occasions parking at a Tesla service centre, within the Geofence area, may get you an update (that you would otherwise have to wait for)

I picked up my car in 12/16. So, of course it has HW2. Per Elon the update is suppose to go to the entire fleet. I'm watching the "firmware" spreadsheet. When I see no updates for a day for 17.3.2 I will absolutely call Tesla to see if they believe I should have gotten the update. And if so do they understand why I have not. I think I'm patient, but I do want to understand what is going on.
While their intentions may be to send it out to the entire fleet, we have seen many many examples of them launching an update, only to stop it right away when a new issue is discovered, followed by a revision and another update a week later.

While their intentions may be to send it out to the entire fleet, we have seen many many examples of them launching an update, only to stop it right away when a new issue is discovered, followed by a revision and another update a week later.
Sounds reasonable. I have been reading a number of posts with issues related to the update. And certainly Tesla is not the most transparent company on the Earth.

My info:
I'm in Tesla's home state (California)
I have strong WiFi.

I'm not so anxious as to park my car by a service center and do some rain dance.

Sounds reasonable. I have been reading a number of posts with issues related to the update. And certainly Tesla is not the most transparent company on the Earth.

My info:
I'm in Tesla's home state (California)
I have strong WiFi.

I'm not so anxious as to park my car by a service center and do some rain dance.
The SvC geofencing updates aren't happening anymore anyway.

:).

"The rain dance was only necessary when hoping to receive the update at your own location--not for service center updates"

That must be it. I forgot the rain dance!

It is funny to read the lengths people will go. And who knows, perhaps they work. Like setting up a cell phone hot spot, moving the car to a location closer to the WiFi, going to a SvC, keeping the car connected to power. I've done none of these and still got previous updates. Perhaps my luck has run out...

Last edited:
:). It is funny to read the lengths people will go. And who knows, perhaps they work. Like setting up a cell phone hot spot, moving the car to a location closer to the WiFi, going to a SvC, keeping the car connected to power. I've done none of these and still got previous updates. Perhaps my luck has run out...
of-course-i-believe-in-the-power-of-barking.jpg

I think I may have discovered a new bug. I don't know when this would have changed, but the firmware I have now is 8.0(2.52.22), and the behavior is definitely different (worse) now.

In the past, if I was on a call, with the phone display in the right position on the instrument cluster, I could hold the scroll wheel in, and then select a different display, like power. I didn't do this often, because I didn't often need to see the power display while on the phone, but I definitely did this occasionally, so that I could see if my regen limit had gone away yet or not. Well, I tried to do that today, while on the phone, and all I managed to do was disconnect the call. Pressing in on the scroll wheel does not bring up the menu of other options, as it did in the past.

When I reached my destination I rebooted both the 17" display and the IC, and tested this again. (Thanks, Mom!) Still no luck. There is no simply no way to change the display while the phone is in use.

After writing the above, I realized that perhaps this bug also affected the ability to move the nav off the left side of the IC once it has taken over whatever is normally displayed there. I went out to the car to check, and it does not. The ability to switch from the nav, to something else, still works. So this bug only affects the phone.

I'll write this up as a bug for Tesla, and send it in to [email protected], but before I do I wanted to check to make sure others were also experiencing this, and then if that is the case, to see if anyone might be able to help pinpoint what version of the firmware introduced this bug.

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: jgs and msnow
That's what I thought too when he posted the message. But the key point is holding down the scroll wheel. Pressing the wheel should hang up but he's saying holding the wheel now will also do this as opposed to being able to change function.

Actually pressing and holding the wheel does not hang up. I inadvertently hung up on my call by subsequently trying to hold and press, and not holding long enough. (In other words, I just pressed.)

But I can't stress this enough--THIS IS DIFFERENT BEHAVIOR THAN BEFORE. Previously you could press and hold and then change the app, as normal, while on a call.