Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. The build number is unique. The firmware version, currently 8.0, is a marketing thing. As we see, a completely unrelated build number is being pushed out as the next 8.0.
I remember an instance where a 7.1 "build number" (as you're calling it) was either the same or inconsistent with a previous 7.0 build number. That's why the complete number including the version (what you're calling a marketing number) is the full complete unique number.

I remember an instance where a 7.1 "build number" (as you're calling it) was either the same or inconsistent with a previous 7.0 build number.

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen, or if it did, it was a user entry error on EV-FW.com (which was later fixed).

I'm certain the build numbers (2.52.2, etc) are NOT exclusive/unique to the Version number (8.0, etc).

edit: buy yes, for completeness, it's best to use 8.0(2.52.2), etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, but I may be slow to pick up on this...
Are we going from software build
8.0 (2.52.120) to build
8.0 (17.3.2)

My MS60 has HW2 and I am still at 2.52.120 and there hasn't been any new features except key fob recognition since I got it Christmas Eve.

Should I expect 8.0 (17.3.2) sometime soon?
And in addition to the details from @msnow you can register at Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App if you haven't already done so, to track the various updates/builds. If you are able to determine the logic behind the various roll-outs, you win a prize. :D

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen, or if it did, it was a user entry error on EV-FW.com (which was later fixed).

I'm certain the build numbers (2.52.2, etc) are exclusive/unique to the Version number (8.0, etc).

edit: buy yes, for completeness, it's best to use 8.0(2.52.2), etc.
Just to be clear, when you say build numbers are exclusive to the version numbers it sounds like your saying you could have an 7.0 (1.2.3) and an 8.0 (1.2.3)...each one being exclusive to their respective version number.

Just to be clear, when you say build numbers are exclusive to the version numbers it sounds like your saying you could have an 7.0 (1.2.3) and an 8.0 (1.2.3)...each one being exclusive to their respective version number.

Oops.. no, I meant it the exact opposite, sorry. There won't be a 7.0(1.2.3) and a 8.0(1.2.3)..

I guess I should have said this instead: Build numbers are unique across Version numbers.

Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: chillaban
Still waiting on17.3.2. Looks like most got it on Sunday. I have strong WiFi, so that should not be it. I'll watch the spreadsheet and call Tesla if it does not come in the next day or two. Anyone else in this boat?

Every car does not get every update. For whatever reason, your car may never get this one, and then could be one of the first to get the next one. Or you may never get the next one too.

Your car will eventually get updated. Try not to sweat it.

And I definitely would not call anyone at Tesla because your car hasn't received one update a few days after some other cars have.

I noticed it twitched quite a bit in the lane and I could see the black lines on the screen dancing a bit. I am hoping they will smooth this out with more data on their part and some improvements to the code.

It definitely isn't as smooth as the AP1 I test drove

Yeah, that made me scratch my head additionally. This version really "dances" as you said. Is not as smooth as AP1. Has many quirks. Makes me wonder if they started over for this. However keeping the faith they will...as you noted.... "smooth this out......improvements to the code."

I have AP1 (HW1) and running 2.52.22.
This release "dances" a lot ... really a lot !!
And it's in plain highways (European 2 or 3 lanes each direction with divider)

The previous versions were a lot smoother.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour ?

I have AP1 (HW1) and running 2.52.22.
This release "dances" a lot ... really a lot !!
And it's in plain highways (European 2 or 3 lanes each direction with divider)

The previous versions were a lot smoother.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour ?
I'm not. In fact I find it smoother and more stable than the last few updates. Could be a geographic thing though.

Notably, I don't think it was expected that people would use autosteer(on HW2) by going 20mph below the speed limit when the rest of traffic is going the full speed. I was able to try it out in actual 40mph traffic last night and it worked beautifully, presumably by following the car in front.

On a side note, a feature request: allow a different steering wheel position(tied to driver profile) for auto steering. It'd be nice to have the wheel come down a bit so I could rest my arms better while still holding the wheel, and it shouldn't be a safety issue since steering wheel position is just about comfortable position anyway.

Reactions: jgs
On a side note, a feature request: allow a different steering wheel position(tied to driver profile) for auto steering. It'd be nice to have the wheel come down a bit so I could rest my arms better while still holding the wheel, and it shouldn't be a safety issue since steering wheel position is just about comfortable position anyway.

That's an interesting feature request. You should write something up, and send it to [email protected].

Reactions: kevinf311
Notably, I don't think it was expected that people would use autosteer(on HW2) by going 20mph below the speed limit when the rest of traffic is going the full speed. I was able to try it out in actual 40mph traffic last night and it worked beautifully, presumably by following the car in front."
QUOTE]

To try mine out I head for our wonderful "405" freeway. (not the CA one) I can always count on stop and go slow traffic almost any time of day that fits nicely into the 45 mph "window". Yesterday I drove approx. 15 miles in that traffic. Still noticing the twitching and jerky movements.(and yes I am talking about the autosteer ..not MY jerkiness :D) Possibly there is still calibration going on. It will be great when we can use the "Enhanced Autopilot" on the other highways and main streets.....possibly at a bit higher speed. Even though I would love "perfection" in the autosteer...it doesn't mean I am not thankful to have lived long enough to see such a marvel! (67 years old). This is my second Tesla, I have an aerospace engineering background which leads me to be in awe of this wonderful machine!

Notably, I don't think it was expected that people would use autosteer(on HW2) by going 20mph below the speed limit when the rest of traffic is going the full speed. I was able to try it out in actual 40mph traffic last night and it worked beautifully, presumably by following the car in front.

Interesting request but there is a specific steering position, just like mirrors, to allow proper vehicle control. It shouldn't be about comfort.

I could see this being a useful feature when full automous driving comes out that the wheel would retract. As it is right now I think you should have it in the normal position as your hands are suppose to remain.

Again though really interesting thought process.

allow a different steering wheel position(tied to driver profile) for auto steering.

Not seen that requested before ... I would suggest you just create an additional profile (based on your main profile, but just with a different steering position). I imagine one day AP will not need any/much input from me, but as it stands right now there are times when I am in-and-out of AP repeatedly, and I don't think having the steering move each time would be desirable :confused:

Thanks for the answers, but I may be slow to pick up on this...
Are we going from software build
8.0 (2.52.120) to build
8.0 (17.3.2)

My MS60 has HW2 and I am still at 2.52.120 and there hasn't been any new features except key fob recognition since I got it Christmas Eve.

Should I expect 8.0 (17.3.2) sometime soon?

I would think you should be receiving an update soon. Since you're still in "shadow" mode (2.52.120) and EM has stated ALL HW2 cars where getting the update, then I would expect something soon. As others have stated there's no guarantees that you'll receive any specific update but, you should be transitioning out of shadow mode any day with an update (maybe a new release).

Last edited:
I found a spot in front of my house, away from the charger, that gets my internet signal. 2 hours later I got the upgrade notice and then 45 minutes after starting the upgrade I got 17.3.2. I guess there were a lot of engineering version between the two releases.

You can do that today without any software programing from Tesla. All you need to do it create another driver's profile. Keep everything the same except lowering the steering wheel. You can then press the "Autonomous" profile and it will lower the steering when for you.