Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone notice increased vampire loss with 17.11.10?

Nope. I noticed that the new phone app likes to check in on its own in the background and thought I saw more drain with that, though.

Mine has been unplugged in airport parking for almost a week now with energy saving on and always connected off - and has lost less than ten miles despite cabin overheat being on and me checking in every day, sometimes twice.

17.14.23 and AP1 here. Drove 98 miles round trip to work and definitely had fewer disengagements than normal. I took over far fewer times than ever before. Sharper curves seem such better and small hill crests bounce a little but do not cross the line. There are still a few hills that the crest still causes to cross over the line to the left and right, but I noticed a definite improvement. It does, however, take longer for the vehicle to react when coming up on a stopped vehicle. My commute has many stoplights on a 45 mph road and my car will be humming along at 50 mph and brake hard as it approaches as opposed to breaking sooner and gradually. This is only the case with stopped traffic. If the vehicle in front slows to a stop, the breaking is perfect, if they are at a stop it's a real clincher!

• Informative
Reactions: Aieukl378
I wonder what you have to do to get on the update list... would like to see the new favorites on audio and Nav...

Well RickGT, I think that patience is a key thing to have to get the update. Some updates, I am one of the first. This most recent update was exactly 2 months after my last. So there is very little rhyme or reason as to when you get the software drop from what I have seen.
I do feel that having your Tesla on WiFi, always connected is of a benefit perhaps.

Reactions: rickgt
Received notice yesterday Friday, 4/14/2017 4:06 PM "Software update is available".

Updated early this morning and love the new Nav feature with voice command for our Favorite Nav List. This is much safer & faster Nav option.

Will take a drive later this afternoon and test out the auto pilot/lane assist.

I have a dash cam but I haven't noticed much if any difference in how my car drives on 8.1, just the IC seems to indicate worse conditions than what I'm used to seeing. Also I haven't driven very much since taking the upgrade...AP has been mostly on short freeway stretches (just a few miles). I might try some slightly longer test drives this weekend if I can get the time.

I did a few more drives, a few tens of miles on the freeway. AP1 on 8.1(17.11.10) now feels approximately like what my last 8.0 release felt like in terms of the car's lane-keeping behavior. No weaving around, exit diving, etc. It does feel like the lane markers on the IC aren't as planted as I remember, but it's completely possible that this behavior was the same on 8.0 and I'm just not recalling correctly. It seems to be maintaining lane markers on the IC better than those first few drives I did on this version, I'm not sure why there's a difference.

Anyway, the high order bit is that the release of 8.1 I'm running has autopilot behavior nominally the same as the 8.0 release I was running previously, within some confidence margin.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow and Aieukl378
Do you guys also feel like that AP1 asks us to take over the wheel far more often that it did prior to 8.0? I mean before I drove up to 4 minutes without touching the wheel around LAs highways, but that seems almost impossible nowadays.

Do you guys also feel like that AP1 asks us to take over the wheel far more often that it did prior to 8.0? I mean before I drove up to 4 minutes without touching the wheel around LAs highways, but that seems almost impossible nowadays.

I'm on 17.14.23 and I haven't gotten a take over notice since updating about 3 days ago. If you're possibly referring to the 'hold steering wheel' I usually get it every 7-10 minutes driving on a freeway with no traffic lights.

Reactions: JenniferQ
I'm still somewhat new to AP1, and you've heard me complain about it at highway speeds and not being able to nudge it away from passing cars.

But today I was in a hour long stop-and-go traffic jam (on a highway), and WOW was AP really amazing in both lane keeping and TACC... it felt almost human. So much better than "driving" through that crap.

To me - AP1 with 8.1 feels more confident. Did quite a bit of driving over the weekend (around 200-250 miles) and here are some of the things I noticed:

- Less nags. Believe I drove roughly 15 minutes before I got a nag at one point.
- Keeps lanes more confidently.
- It appears to track the car in front a little bit better (i.e. if the car in front is making a drastic correction to one side of the lane, appears that my car follows suit).
- Doesn't bias towards tractor trailers nearly as much when passing them
- Takes curves on the highway much better. Was driving 80-85 on a winding section of route 80 in NJ and it was taking those turns like a champ

One thing I did notice is that the "dance" that some people may refer to in lane keeping is potentially being used to refract the radar at different angles for a more accurate view of the road (maybe?). I read this on one of the posts - can't remember which.

Well...

There was one drive I did last week (on 8.1), on a freeway in heavy traffic (speed limit 65 mph, TACC speed set to 50, actual speed around 20, autosteer on). I was getting nagged at intervals of less than a minute, and several times (3 times out of 5 once I started timing them) about 15 seconds between nags. I noticed on some of the nags there was only about a three second delay from when I was asked to put my hands back on the wheel to the flashing IC border...I don't remember seeing the interval that short before. This was in overcast daytime, light drizzle. It only happened on this one drive, so I'm tentatively attributing this behavior to the visibility at the time (still I've driven in worse weather/visibility and AP1 had no issues).

Other than that one drive, I haven't noticed any difference in nag behavior (well I usually do have a hand on the steering wheel anyway).

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: kgroschi
I'm still somewhat new to AP1, and you've heard me complain about it at highway speeds and not being able to nudge it away from passing cars.

But today I was in a hour long stop-and-go traffic jam (on a highway), and WOW was AP really amazing in both lane keeping and TACC... it felt almost human. So much better than "driving" through that crap.

I'm so glad to hear this from you as I know you were very hesitant about upgrading way back when. I find 8.1 to have far fewer nags than just the version before, as I do take every update I can get.

Reactions: HankLloydRight