Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just catching up as my update only came tonight. Does AP take exits now with an indicator as iirc was promised? I want more than a sketch pad. <whine>
Nope. All we got was a "favorites" station under Streaming, an enhancement to the map that shows restaurants, hours, ratings and that dumb etch-a-sketch. None of the promised fixes that were supposed to be in 8.0 last October and then re-promised for last December are in there. Very disappointing.

• Informative
Reactions: JenniferQ
Just catching up as my update only came tonight. Does AP take exits now with an indicator as iirc was promised? I want more than a sketch pad. <whine>

We got the alpha, beta, delta, omega version. On exits with really bad lane markings, the car dives to the right seeking its boundary, and then we pretend. It's amazing, no blinker needed.....seems like it just reads your mind. Wow. Can't wait. It will be awesome.Yah.

I assume it is because it was the first release where the code base converged and the same release could be sent to Classic, AP1, and AP2 cars.
Couldn't they have done that with any new release say 18.x.x? It seems like they are trying to fulfill Elon's Tweet promises by delivering an "8.1" without the promised kernel, offramp exit, Nav and MP fixes when in reality the biggest thing 8.1 did was bring parity for AP2 owners. Not unimportant but deceptive.

I assume it is because it was the first release where the code base converged and the same release could be sent to Classic, AP1, and AP2 cars.

I don't think we know that for sure....that's more of a conjecture based on observations. I honestly haven't looked at the firmware tracker for myself to see if that assertion (which I've read a number of times) is supported by the facts...

Bruce.

Makes you wonder why they called this release 8.1...

upload_2017-4-13_11-1-6.png

• Funny
Reactions: yak-55 and msnow
Our recent 700-mile trip between San Francisco and Santa Barbara around highway 101 has found 8.1.17.11.10 of AP1 no worse than 8.0.17.8.16 and still more than useful in my applications... it makes straight route drowsily boring if I was acting like an overly responsible pilot monitoring all the mirrors and the displays.

For most of our highway travel being in the day time and mostly sunny, I set the AP to 80mph in 65 zone and 90mph in 70 zone (Waze in the console!). There were only a handful of cases where I had to override to cope with the merging or crossing traffic from the left (the J. Brown scenario). Cresting hills was no problem. Lane changing was a breeze. Traversing through construction zones with cones on one side is no different. It never misread those 55 speed limit signs in any of the construction zones or slowed down. AP1 did corner very well even in the winding sections descending to the Pacific Ocean. There were a couple screams from my wife but I or our kids weren't aware of anything special, so I asked my wife to lower her sixth sense or not to be deceived by those painted lane markings :)

On some undivided roads to remote parks, AP1 worked well too and proceeded confidently between the grass at 35~40mph which surprised me as it shouldn't allow AP to be engaged but the GPS seems to incorrectly consider the rural routes a part of the highway due to no cellular coverage. It looks like the Mobileye+Tesla system can be more capable.

On busy city streets with central divide and parked cars on the right (one lane on each direction), I've noticed the system was able to identify the virtual boundary as seen in the dashboard, follow traffic, and squeeze through without any problem.

The biggest gripe that I keep always thinking is that the AP1 system is unable to handle stop signs (since it can read all the erected speed signs correctly) and the STOP mark/line on pavement, and my proposed behavior for it could be to stop automatically at the line then let human accelerate by pedal without disengaging itself except making turns.

Hopefully AP2 only changes the sensing part and everything else more or less stays on course.

Wow, your experience is certainly better than mine, or at least it sounds as if your positive experiences are under more varied conditions. I use AP1 frequently but have not had the occasion to go very far since the latest update. What I have seen seems no different. But my experience on the crests of hills is quite different from yours -- the car always wanders around for a bit as it reaches a crest, even a modest crest on an Interstate.

Wow, your experience is certainly better than mine, or at least it sounds as if your positive experiences are under more varied conditions. I use AP1 frequently but have not had the occasion to go very far since the latest update. What I have seen seems no different. But my experience on the crests of hills is quite different from yours -- the car always wanders around for a bit as it reaches a crest, even a modest crest on an Interstate.

I am with you on this. One exception though, if I am following a car ahead of me and we are at the crest of a rise or hill, then the wondering is very minimal. However, If no car ahead of me and on a crest or rise, then the wondering is more pronounced until the camera can once again lock onto the painted lines. The camera seems to be looking out into space and looses the lines on a crest or rise of a hill. Now I am very used to that behavior and anticipate it.

Forgot to say that mine is an X, maybe it's because the camera sits slightly higher than S.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and ArtInCT
Nope. All we got was a "favorites" station under Streaming, an enhancement to the map that shows restaurants, hours, ratings and that dumb etch-a-sketch. None of the promised fixes that were supposed to be in 8.0 last October and then re-promised for last December are in there. Very disappointing.

Awwwww, how can you not love that dumb etch-a-sketch?

The Etch A Sketch was introduced near the peak of the Baby Boom on July 12, 1960 for $2.99.[2] It went on to sell 600,000 units[2] that year and is one of the best known toys of that era. In 1998, it was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame at The Strong, in Rochester, New York. In 2003, the Toy Industry Association named Etch A Sketch to its Century of Toys List, a roll call commemorating the 100 most memorable and most creative toys of the 20th century.

Reactions: MMC- and msnow
so i took my car in to service center today because after the long body shop repair, there were a couple issues that needed tweaking (alignment, loose window seal = wind noise, trunk latch wobbly). i went for a drive with the tech to demonstrate the alignment issue i was having.

during my conversation, i mentioned AP was a little worse after 8.1, and he basically finished the sentence for me, saying "yea let me guess, it's losing lane markers here are there more than before, right? we're aware some people have been having that issue, we've been getting calls every day since 8.1, and hopefully it improves very soon with the next update"