Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Ahem*
In the previous version of the update, ‘Drive On Nav’ automatically suggested lane changes based on the destination, but the driver needed to pull on the Autopilot stalk to initiate any lane change.

Now it is not required anymore in the latest version of the feature.

Figured that would happen. I wonder if a certain somebody who claims he’s always right will admit that he was wrong here...

All in all it seems like really exciting news.

I'm glad the on-ramp to off-ramp without requiring manual lane changes is actually going to be released.

Sure its a bit terrifying, and I'm not quite sure how human drivers will respond to that. It's going to be more nerve racking at first than AP. Where I'm paying extra attention to make sure it doesn't screw up. Others will simply trust the car 100%, and we generally know what eventually happens if one does that.

But, its great news to hear that the most important aspect of EAP (to me) will be released,

*Ahem*

Figured that would happen. I wonder if a certain somebody who claims he’s always right will admit that he was wrong here...

I claim he's wrong enough times that I find him annoying.

But, on the dash cam I can cut him some slack if it slips a release. It's also entirely possible it will come later as it doesn't need to be tested as throughly.

Reactions: EinSV
Yes, confirmation that "drive to nav" will not require driver input to change lanes. Apparently, the suggestion to change lanes was just an alpha feature. In the final V9 version of "drive to nav", autopilot will make lane changes to take exits without driver input. Very happy to hear this!

Tesla Version 9 update: getting closer to release, now fixes one of the biggest issues with Model 3 UI, and more

Any idea if the “auto lane change” will also be available with normal highway driving or only for on/off ramp with navigation chosen?
Sure would be nice to have the car change lanes automatically on the highway

Any idea if the “auto lane change” will also be available with normal highway driving or only for on/off ramp with navigation chosen?
Sure would be nice to have the car change lanes automatically on the highway

It's a good question as I'd love for a car to stay in the right lane, and only get over when it needs to pass someone.

It is missing on feature I'd love. That is the ability communicate to another Tesla to say "hey, can we do the buddy system"

Half the cars on the road are going to be Model 3's so that would be really awesome.

It's a good question as I'd love for a car to stay in the right lane, and only get over when it needs to pass someone.

It is missing on feature I'd love. That is the ability communicate to another Tesla to say "hey, can we do the buddy system"

Half the cars on the road are going to be Model 3's so that would be really awesome.

Auto Tesla Gang (Beta)

Hopefully they improve the nav system to account for differences in opinion on which route to take or at least be able to account for carpool lane speed.

In my commute, the nav often recommends to switch to another highway. I tend to disagree that it's worth the hassle of moving several lanes over to get into a long line of cars to get to another highway that also had a lot of traffic with fewer lanes and no carpool lane. If the car took care of the hassle, it wouldn't matter to me. However, it does matter if the route optimization did not take into account that carpool lane speed could make a difference in which route would take less time to travel.

Hopefully they improve the nav system to account for differences in opinion on which route to take or at least be able to account for carpool lane speed.

In my commute, the nav often recommends to switch to another highway. I tend to disagree that it's worth the hassle of moving several lanes over to get into a long line of cars to get to another highway that also had a lot of traffic with fewer lanes and no carpool lane. If the car took care of the hassle, it wouldn't matter to me. However, it does matter if the route optimization did not take into account that carpool lane speed could make a difference in which route would take less time to travel.

A while ago there was an opt-in screen for sharing your commute data anonymously to feed into the traffic data Tesla uses for navigation. Not sure what happened to that or if they’re still pushing in that direction, but if so, that would use whatever other Tesla drivers are using, carpool lane or otherwise.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
On readdit I saw one thread talking about v9.0 would remove the nags for the interstate highways. But no proof was provided. Anyone else have a source? Or have comment?

This seems to be an assumption about Drive on NAV. So maybe if Nav is on, no Nags will occur... Heres to hoping!

I am hoping V9 will reduce the nags for interstate driving. It would make sense since V9 is supposed to move autopilot closer towards FSD. If Autopilot on V9 gets more confident with interstate driving and can do the "drive to nav" well enough, there should be less reason for the nags.

Reactions: Axael
On readdit I saw one thread talking about v9.0 would remove the nags for the interstate highways. But no proof was provided. Anyone else have a source? Or have comment?

This seems to be an assumption about Drive on NAV. So maybe if Nav is on, no Nags will occur... Heres to hoping!

I didn’t quite catch the whole thing, but on the ER for Q2, during the beginning part where the AP hardware and software leaders presented, one of the guys said *something* about making the handover back to the driver much less abrupt in this version(well, he didn’t say “v9” but just the highway-highway implementation they were working on). He didn’t go into a ton of detail, but from his talking about it, it sounded like essentially level 3 autonomy to me.

That’s the only source I’ve seen on it.

EDIT: Finally just went back and listened to that segment again. It was both less and more than I remembered. It was Stuart Bowers; he specifically did say “v9”, that it would be handling the full freeway onramp to offramp including lane changes and following navigation and “hand back control when it’s deemed safe”. That latter bit is a bit vague, but may imply something that doesn’t require quite as much constant human supervision as what we have today.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Axael and Joe F