Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes that it was I was describing here that I said would probably still be under EAP:

https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

Tesla Autopilot page said:
Enhanced Autopilot

Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

... subject to regulatory approval. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot, and must be prepared to take action at any time.

On-ramp to Off-ramp

Autosteer+

Smart Summon

With Smart Summon, your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you.

Full Self-Driving Capability

Build upon Enhanced Autopilot and order Full Self-Driving Capability on your Tesla. This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances ...

Smart Summon is listed as one of the EAP capabilities.

But this probably doesn't mean EAP is done, right? That would be a bit disappointing.

Any guess on what a FSD feature would be?

Traffic light detection?
You need to be really good at that, to implement it. Unless it's just a warning. False positives can be a big problem.

Speed sign detection, summon?
I hoped those would be EAP. As others mentioned, summon is promised under EAP.

Anything I'm missing here?

But this probably doesn't mean EAP is done, right? That would be a bit disappointing.

Traffic light detection?
You need to be really good at that, to implement it. Unless it's just a warning. False positives can be a big problem.

there are different ways to detect speed limit signs. what you need to think about is what vs how.

EAP says it will do A,B,C. it doesn't say all of the detailed HOW it will do this.

my expectations based on Elon's behavior/announcements, EAP will continue to improve even after all WHAT items have been satisfied because of the FSD development effort which will bring more refined behavior to EAP (the how). The reason this will happen is because i am and all of the folks who bought tesla are the salespeople/marketing department (i'll keep talking about how my car is getting continuously better over the months of ownership).

EX. EAP already travels on highway so there is NO requirement to use cameras to read signs on highway and adjust speed. this basic requirement is satisfied. however, they will likely improve this as the FSD features develop and they're able to read signs visually for FSD, it will be very little effort to allow EAP to read these signs and act accordingly.

this is what will keep my model 3 ahead of every other car on the road for the next 2-3 years (at least). i say "at least" because legacy automakers may finally change their ways of putting outdated and broken features and leaving them the way they are without hope of updates in 3 years time period. those who say this is already happening for other cars today because dealers/manufacturers provide OTA updates, i say it barely touches the surface of what these OTA updates can and should do.

• Informative
Reactions: kgerrard

Traffic light detection?

Speed sign detection and summon are EAP features unless Tesla changes something.

Traffic light detection would be a FSD feature. Other FSD features would be things like: stop sign detection, turning at a 4 way intersection, auto lane change on city streets.

Speed sign detection and summon are EAP features unless Tesla changes something.

Sometimes, I wish I took screenshot of Tesla's website when I ordered my car... O:)

About this, I just checked the manual of the car, and the only thing it mentions is that the speed limits are retrieved through GPS coordinates, nothing else.

I don't recall searching for this specific feature already, but I think the manual often stated "this feature isn't available yet" for a lot of AP / EAP features, they might have changed this lately...

Sometimes, I wish I took screenshot of Tesla's website when I ordered my car...
Internet Archive: Wayback Machine has been invaluable trying to dig up what used to be on tesla's web site. Just search for the date on or just before they date you ordered your car and should should be able to see what is promised. (Note my profile picture is from the original AP page, showing "summon" pulling out of a garage and out to a curb.)

The summon in AP1 where the car would just move forwards or backwards a few feet on command was not self-driving so I can definitely see why it stayed under AP2. If Tesla ever does the smart summon where the car can turn left or right in a driveway that might still be under EAP since it is just a slightly fancier version of the basic summon using ultrasonics to navigate a curved driveway. But the summon where the car can leave a parking spot to come pick you up or drop you off and navigate a parking lot to find a parking spot on its own, that will definitely be a FSD feature since that does involve self-driving.
Isn't self parking under EAP also? That's a turning exercise....correct?

It's not FSD until the steering wheel can be removed from the car without a loss in functionality.

You do realize why he's starting to release features in 8/2018, right? So that the owners of vehicles from 10/2016 that are coming off lease don't have a successful class action lawsuit and/or he has to start refunding $3k per car.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Axael and israndy
Isn't self parking under EAP also? That's a turning exercise....correct?

Yes, self-parking is under EAP. But like you said, right now, self-parking is just a turning exercise using the ultrasonics to check how close the car is to the adjacent car. You stay in the car and the car just turns until it is parked right. That's a far cry from getting out of your car in the front of a store and letting you car zip off without you through a parking lot and then park itself. The latter will be a FSD feature, I believe.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Yes, self-parking is under EAP. But like you said, right now, self-parking is just a turning exercise using the ultrasonics to check how close the car is to the adjacent car. You stay in the car and the car just turns until it is parked right. That's a far cry from getting out of your car in the front of a store and letting you car zip off without you through a parking lot and then park itself. The latter will be a FSD feature, I believe.
I wonder if there is anyone out there that has gotten out of their car and allowed it to self park in a tight spot.....or get out of the car and let summon park the car in the garage by itself to avoid dinging the car door on the garage wall.

Those are the 2 functions that I thought would might be FSD functions.

I wonder how much more they can improve these 2 functions without them becoming FSD.....hmmmm..

It's not FSD until the steering wheel can be removed from the car without a loss in functionality.

You do realize why he's starting to release features in 8/2018, right? So that the owners of vehicles from 10/2016 that are coming off lease don't have a successful class action lawsuit and/or he has to start refunding $3k per car.
Removing the steering wheel is level 5 autonomy. No one is even close to that yet.