Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be very happy with an AP system that recognizes red lights, speed limit signs and stop signs, continues through off-ramps to surface streets (and the inverse as well),sees vehicles in front of me when coming around a corner or approaching at speed that are completely stopped (especially fire trucks, lol), ability to utilize the ultrasonic sensors / side cameras to adjust lane position when using narrow HOV lanes or oncoming motorcycles, on screen monitoring of vehicles to either side that are behind me (blind spot detection), ability to discriminate motorcycles, trucks and cars in any position, and select-able on-screen projection of all of the cameras (assuming they are capable of normal video transmission and not just digitized info), etc....features I feel would make my driving safer NOW.

Honestly, I like to drive myself, and the Tesla is a fantastic driving machine, which is one of the primary reasons I bought one. So getting full self driving doesn't excite me as it does many others here. But, I appreciate the stress reduction, convenience, and safety aspects of EAP, and would love to see them get those to a 99% reliability level before working on FSD.

To really get to level 4/5 autonomous driving, FSD will require rebuilding the SC network for self-connecting chargers, the likely cooperation of both federal government and zillions of local agencies to authorize it's use, and the cooperation of other manufacturers to incorporate inter-vehicular communications - things that Waymo and others running test vehicles aren't concerned with yet, things that are still many, many years away IMO.

Elon, please just get the previously announced functions finished and operating correctly, please ;)

Park seek mode is when I'm driving around m3 in empty parking lot seeking for park functionality to kick in to see how it works in the first place.

I honestly have no clue how it does not work in those situations. But it works at a red light with cars next to me! I’ve have never been able to try out auto park since the day I took delivery of my car.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Tesla has lost enough of my trust that $1,000 is a small price to pay for certainty.
We probably won't be kicking ourselves over $1,000 if they can pull off something amazing. If they can pull FSD off I would gladly pay them $10,000. That would be a great modern miracle.
When Tesla's "FSD" improves enough over the next couple of years, I believe they will jack the price up to ~$10,000 because the features will be compelling enough people will pay that much.

I want to see the reaction here when the cost of waiting suddenly increases from $1,000 to $XX,000. It's coming.

The statement could be a way to increase cash on hand by having more people pre-purchase FSD.
With the ramp up on the Model 3, this could mean a lot of cash.

Smart man. I was thinking some more fuel for the epic short burn fire.

100,000+ cars * $4000 = 400,000,000+ in revenue just for pre-existing cars with AP2 and AP2.5.

Just a rough guess of cars that DIDNT take FSD because everyone knows they could have just saved that money at the time.

No one wants their neighbor to have a better Tesla than they so pony up that money they shall.

This really should be a surprise no one as those who looked into the development access MONTHS ago saw firmware for street sign recognition and toggles for the extra cameras.

I'll be very happy with an AP system that recognizes red lights, speed limit signs and stop signs, continues through off-ramps to surface streets (and the inverse as well),sees vehicles in front of me when coming around a corner or approaching at speed that are completely stopped (especially fire trucks, lol), ability to utilize the ultrasonic sensors / side cameras to adjust lane position when using narrow HOV lanes or oncoming motorcycles, on screen monitoring of vehicles to either side that are behind me (blind spot detection), ability to discriminate motorcycles, trucks and cars in any position, and select-able on-screen projection of all of the cameras (assuming they are capable of normal video transmission and not just digitized info), etc....features I feel would make my driving safer NOW.

Pretty much agree with all that, and I think its reasonable to expect those things to happen with the current suite of sensors and computers onboard. Anything more, I dont see how the current hardware could do it. We've all seen the Waymo and other cars that do full self driving, they have a boatload of cameras and sensors mounted on the roof...and even those dont seem to get it right all the time.

As you said, if the current cars could do the items you listed, I'd be extremely happy with the car.

I don't see anyone here who is saying that they WANT my FSD and by "investing" the $3000 we are letting Tesla know it's a priority. That was my main reason for spending the money, and the classic, "what if I don't have the money when the feature IS available?"

Of course, the other reasons mentioned here apply, the dribble of FSD features will be exclusive to those who paid, if we need another $1000 computer we already paid for it, etc...

-Randy

• Love
Reactions: landis
I don't see anyone here who is saying that they WANT my FSD and by "investing" the $3000 we are letting Tesla know it's a priority. That was my main reason for spending the money, and the classic, "what if I don't have the money when the feature IS available?"

Of course, the other reasons mentioned here apply, the dribble of FSD features will be exclusive to those who paid, if we need another $1000 computer we already paid for it, etc...

-Randy

Lots of geniuses took the $3,000 to put into BTC thinking it'd pay for a a free Performance Model 3. Now it's $1000 BTC Residual and $3000 USD more for FSD. :D

I think many people when they hear of an upcoming enhancement will naturally assume it will be included in EAP when in fact Tesla decides the feature is for FSD owners only.
You can be sure there will be some heated discussion over this.

I agree. I think EAP still needs the following:
  • speed limit sign recognition
  • showing trucks, motorcycles/bicycles, and cars on the IC
  • auto lane changes on secondary roads
  • AP breaking to a full stop
  • auto emergency braking to a full stop
  • using the NAV for automatic changing lanes to get on a new interstate
I think some of the first FSD features using AP may be:
  • stop sign recognition with braking to a full stop
  • stop light recognition with braking to a full stop
  • plus all of the other FSD features
When the FSD features start arriving, those that have not paid for it will not be happy.

I had always wondered where the "summon" feature belonged. I'm glad its in the EAP camp, however it seems like improvements to it will fall into the FSD camp.

There is going to be a fine line between EAP and FSD that is going to call for a lot of disappointment.

I believe "eventually" they are going to merge into one product - After all - its only software going forward.

Tesla appears to have conquered the hardware hurdles for both EAP and FSD into a single hardware package that they now have on every car leaving the factory. I wonder if the price of the hardware is covered in each Model 3 purchase.

Last edited:
I had always wondered where the "summon" feature belonged. I'm glad its in the EAP camp, however it seems like improvements to it will fall into the FSD camp.

There is going to be a fine line between EAP and FSD that is going to call for a lot of disappointment.

I believe "eventually" they are going to merge into one product - After all - its only software going forward.

Tesla appears to have conquered the hardware hurdles for both EAP and FSD into a single hardware package that they now have on every car leaving the factory. I wonder if the price of the hardware is covered in each Model 3 purchase.

I agree it really feels like an FSD feature. I assume it's on all the eAP cars because it predates AP2 and the eAP/FSD dichotomy - it was an AP feature before Tesla announced anything about FSD, and they didn't want to take it away from people.

As for hardware costs, I'm sure it's covered. Tesla isn't actually using anything terribly expensive in the AP2/2.5 hardware suite, unlike most autonomous car efforts (some LIDAR cans are sold for half the price of a model 3 from what I've read.)

I agree it really feels like an FSD feature. I assume it's on all the eAP cars because it predates AP2 and the eAP/FSD dichotomy - it was an AP feature before Tesla announced anything about FSD, and they didn't want to take it away from people.

The summon in AP1 where the car would just move forwards or backwards a few feet on command was not self-driving so I can definitely see why it stayed under AP2. If Tesla ever does the smart summon where the car can turn left or right in a driveway that might still be under EAP since it is just a slightly fancier version of the basic summon using ultrasonics to navigate a curved driveway. But the summon where the car can leave a parking spot to come pick you up or drop you off and navigate a parking lot to find a parking spot on its own, that will definitely be a FSD feature since that does involve self-driving.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
The summon in AP1 where the car would just move forwards or backwards a few feet on command was not self-driving so I can definitely see why it stayed under AP2. If Tesla ever does the smart summon where the car can turn left or right in a driveway that might still be under EAP since it is just a slightly fancier version of the basic summon using ultrasonics to navigate a curved driveway. But the summon where the car can leave a parking spot to come pick you up or drop you off and navigate a parking lot to find a parking spot on its own, that will definitely be a FSD feature since that does involve self-driving.
For the time being the Tesla website advertising still shows the car navigating around a house to summon as part of EAP.

For the time being the Tesla website advertising still shows the car navigating around a house to summon as part of EAP.

Yes that it was I was describing here that I said would probably still be under EAP:
If Tesla ever does the smart summon where the car can turn left or right in a driveway that might still be under EAP since it is just a slightly fancier version of the basic summon using ultrasonics to navigate a curved driveway