Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Version 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an email, as many other did, announcing 9.0 and introducing new features:
Discover Software Version 9.0

On thing really caught my attention as odd -
"
Blindspot Monitoring
To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware."

The wording on that is kind of funny- I thought all model 3's have FST hardware, but it's just disabled. Does that mean that if I did not buy the FSD package, I won't get BSM? If that is the case, then:

Why would they decide to bundle blind-spot monitoring with FSD(assuming FSD hardware is present)? It just doesn't make sense to me. "every other car" out there has BSM almost STANDARD (Yeah, I'm talking about you GM and FORD base models). And I really don't want to sound like that guy comparing other cars to Tesla, but from a pure logic standpoint - if I have FSD, I am theoretically NOT IN DRIVING, the car is, so why would I care if there is someone in my blindspot or not??!?!

On the other hand , if I do NOT have FSD, I really sure could use that BSM!!

I'll wait and see :) I'm sure I'm just not reading it correctly.

All Model 3's do have the hardware, but not early model S's and X's.

Just got an email, as many other did, announcing 9.0 and introducing new features:
Discover Software Version 9.0

On thing really caught my attention as odd -
"
Blindspot Monitoring
To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware."

The wording on that is kind of funny- I thought all model 3's have FST hardware, but it's just disabled. Does that mean that if I did not buy the FSD package, I won't get BSM? If that is the case, then:

Why would they decide to bundle blind-spot monitoring with FSD(assuming FSD hardware is present)? It just doesn't make sense to me. "every other car" out there has BSM almost STANDARD (Yeah, I'm talking about you GM and FORD base models). And I really don't want to sound like that guy comparing other cars to Tesla, but from a pure logic standpoint - if I have FSD, I am theoretically NOT IN DRIVING, the car is, so why would I care if there is someone in my blindspot or not??!?!

On the other hand , if I do NOT have FSD, I really sure could use that BSM!!

I'll wait and see :) I'm sure I'm just not reading it correctly.

I am not sure if this is a new feature in version 9, or I just missed it before. I thought I don't have heated seats for the back 3 seats or at least I can't turn them on before. Now I could and they work! Too bad, nobody ever sit in the back of my model 3 LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42
I am not sure if this is a new feature in version 9, or I just missed it before. I thought I don't have heated seats for the back 3 seats or at least I can't turn them on before. Now I could and they work! Too bad, nobody ever sit in the back of my model 3 LOL.
This has been there since I picked up my car a few weeks ago (and I think it was there earlier).

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42 and Need
Damm! This car just keeps getting better and better. Got home after a month away and there was a new software version. Unfortunately it was just 28.2. Then this morning, just one day later, there was another and now it's v9. Now auto-lane-change works in town (previously only on the freeway) and now it shows cars behind and behind in the adjacent lanes.

Haven't driven enough to have noticed other improvements. Don't much care about the screen UI one way or the other. It's the AP stuff I care about.

I have EAP, not FSD. Was reading comments about whether the display of surrounding cars would come to EAP or only FSD. Was very happy to find it on my EAP car.

Only 51% of everyone has it, and as far as I know nobody in Europe has it yet.

I'm guessing you got those numbers from teslafi? If just looking at Model 3's it looks like about 75% on v9 and 25% on 36.2 V8.

I'm watching closely because my car seems to be plagued with back end software issues. It took a week for them to activate my phone key and almost two for my wife's. I don't know if it's related but 36.2 didn't come to mine until I saw about 98% of the model 3's from teslafi were on it and mine wasn't so I called to have it pushed.

So far no v9 here so I'm worried it's going to have to be manually pushed again, which not only means I get it that much later but I seemingly may have to call for every update which is a PITA. Good WiFi here so that's not the issue.

I'm guessing you got those numbers from teslafi? If just looking at Model 3's it looks like about 75% on v9 and 25% on 36.2 V8.

I'm watching closely because my car seems to be plagued with back end software issues. It took a week for them to activate my phone key and almost two for my wife's. I don't know if it's related but 36.2 didn't come to mine until I saw about 98% of the model 3's from teslafi were on it and mine wasn't so I called to have it pushed.

So far no v9 here so I'm worried it's going to have to be manually pushed again, which not only means I get it that much later but I seemingly may have to call for every update which is a PITA. Good WiFi here so that's not the issue.
Numbers make sense, because afaik not much model 3 if any have been delivered to Europe yet. Seems 75% of US has v9 then, so still 1/4 are on v8. No reason to call them just yet :).

Driving today on v9 I noticed some things.

1. The lane markings on the display seem narrower, closer to the sides of the car.
2. When driving in an extra-wide lane, the car seemed to have trouble staying centered, and swerved back and forth more than I liked.
3. May be my imagination, but it seems to brake more abruptly when approaching a stopped car. It used to do this, then I thought one of the last v8 versions had improved it, and now it's back to how it was before.
4. May be my imagination, but it seems to take longer to auto-lock when I walk away.
5. I mentioned the moving images of stopped cars before. One of those images was actually (virtually) bumping the image of my car.
6. Sometimes a car will show up when it's behind and in front of me in an adjacent lane, but will disappear when it's directly next to me. (Not a big deal, because I can see it easily then.)
7. Auto lane-change works wonderfully in town. Previously only worked on the freeway.
8. AP works wonderfully on city streets that have a lane line on only one side of the lane. Previously it required a line on both sides. (Not sure if this is new to v9, but it would not do it when I first got the car.)
9. As noted in another thread, the dashcam works for a while and then quits. I'm calling it useless for now.

V9 is an improvement but needs some work still. This is still the best car I've ever driven, and is a lot better than it used to be. Whoever heard of a car getting better as it gets older?

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad