Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the price hikes are done for now. The last little 1K bump was a final tweak.
Hikes were initially to manage the backlog surge, then later to adjust for the tax rebate/credit possibility.
I don't think the 8K credit will survive, but I can believe 4500 or so, and that seems the amount reflected in Tesla's price adjustments.
The CBO funding analysis would show the whopper that an 8-12.5K gift would cost. The BBB is anything but a sure thing. Something, yes...but everything? Not a good bet.
I actually hope you're right. I think this whole EV credit ridiculous (demand already exceeds supply and companies are already making capital investments in EV tech, so why do we need it). The CBO analysis and other independent analyses show the entire proposal will cost far more than projected by the admin.

However, I'm a federal auditor (not IRS) and I can tell you that common sense and fiscal responsibility are in short supply in DC... not as if that's news worthy lol.

Just curious when you ordered your car. I ordered mine in July and I am getting the following from Tesla:

Estimated delivery: June​

Delivery timing will be available soon
I see all of these June-October dates for MYLR and I'm jealous - I wish my MYP would have a June date lol. I just don't need a car atm but don't want the price to get jacked up by June of next year. I'd gladly wait 6-9 months for my car, especially if it increased my odds of getting one with the 4680 batteries and any 'early/mid-year updates'!

I see all of these June-October dates for MYLR and I'm jealous - I wish my MYP would have a June date lol. I just don't need a car atm but don't want the price to get jacked up by June of next year. I'd gladly wait 6-9 months for my car, especially if it increased my odds of getting one with the 4680 batteries and any 'early/mid-year updates'!
Talk to your SA about putting your order on hold. Will keep your current pricing.

Reactions: impastu
When you say service advisor, is that just anyone I can get in contact with via chat.... or calling up the local showroom/delivery center... or whoever I can actually speak with in general?

Thanks in advance!
I went to a local showroom so I have a contact already. But start with Chat, they should be able to help you, if not, try the local showroom, but bet call gets answered by a centralized call center, not the actual showroom.

Just curious when you ordered your car. I ordered mine in July and I am getting the following from Tesla:

Estimated delivery: June​

Delivery timing will be available soon
My OD and HOLD info are in my profile signature on every posting.

BTW, assuming you've ordered a MY and can wait, you're in the catbird seat.
It's a virtual guarantee you will get a MY with front + rear megacasts and 4680 batteries, for 440lbs of reduced weight.
The weight is the big deal, not the batteries. Weight buys range, performance, and handling. I'd opt for that all day long.
4680 batteries aren't the big deal unless you'll be doing lots of long road trips. In that case, faster charging will be helpful.

Last edited:
I actually hope you're right. I think this whole EV credit ridiculous (demand already exceeds supply and companies are already making capital investments in EV tech, so why do we need it). The CBO analysis and other independent analyses show the entire proposal will cost far more than projected by the admin.

However, I'm a federal auditor (not IRS) and I can tell you that common sense and fiscal responsibility are in short supply in DC... not as if that's news worthy lol.
"I can tell you that common sense and fiscal responsibility are in short supply in DC... not as if that's news worthy lol."

I'm totally with you on that !!!!!!!!!

Cross posting in this thread as well...

Well, was not expecting this but just got my congratulatory delivery text message, logged in, hit the blue button, and now this. OD and profile completion: 09/25, EDD was 11/15 - 12/13 for weeks with zero movement (unlike with my MYLR experience). Quite surprised since I'm 20 minutes from the Fremont factory so was totally expecting a December EOQ push for me.

6 weeks from OD in California is unfathomable.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211109-091805_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211109-091805_Chrome.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: Steve S

Well, was not expecting this but just got my congratulatory delivery text message, logged in, hit the blue button, and now this. OD and profile completion: 09/25, EDD was 11/15 - 12/13 for weeks with zero movement (unlike with my MYLR experience). Quite surprised since I'm 20 minutes from the Fremont factory so was totally expecting a December EOQ push for me.

Oh... and for added data... I'm gonna be one of those who gives up hopes of the EV tax credit bill passing, will just take delivery, and enjoy the vehicle now! His and hers model Ys in the garage for the holidays!

Oh... and for added data... I'm gonna be one of those who gives up hopes of the EV tax credit bill passing, will just take delivery, and enjoy the vehicle now! His and hers model Ys in the garage for the holidays!
BTW, if you do have taxes to pay at the end, you may still be able to qualify if this passes. I think at least one form of the bill is setup to give EV credit to Tesla purchasers who bought between June 1st and December 31st.... but $7,500 instead of $10,000. Don't quote me on that though... but I know I read it somewhere. The problem being this thing changes all the time... lol.

Tesla may be pushing out CA and Western Region deliveries now in anticipation of a lot of people deciding to wait out the Tax Rebate squabbles in WDC.
My order was on HOLD for 12/1 but Tesla wants me to take delivery NOW. They have a car being delivered tomorrow to my delivery center.
I have declined the delivery. The local SA has plenty of local buyers waiting for a car ASAP.
So no repercussions on my order (as far as I have been told).

BTW, if you do have taxes to pay at the end, you may still be able to qualify if this passes. I think at least one form of the bill is setup to give EV credit to Tesla purchasers who bought between June 1st and December 31st.... but $7,500 instead of $10,000. Don't quote me on that though... but I know I read it somewhere. The problem being this thing changes all the time... lol.
There were two versions of the EV tax bill - Senate and House. The one you're referring to is the Senate bill, which makes it retroactive to purchases after May 25. That version is dead, sadly. The revision that still exists is the House version - which applies to vehicles purchased from January 1, 2022. That's what everyone is waiting to see pass and thus there will be a lot of holds on Tesla deliveries as @tangible1 stated.

I’m with you on that. I’ve been following the news on this pretty closely and convinced if it passes at all it will be a stripped down bill. And wouldn’t be surprised if they managed to screw over Tesla in some way since the Biden administration seems to hate them. They could do it by lifting the 200,000 cap only for union made vehicles. So I’m going to take my MYLR as soon as I can.

There were two versions of the EV tax bill - Senate and House. The one you're referring to is the Senate bill, which makes it retroactive to purchases after May 25. That version is dead, sadly. The revision that still exists is the House version - which applies to vehicles purchased from January 1, 2022. That's what everyone is waiting to see pass and thus there will be a lot of holds on Tesla deliveries as @tangible1 stated.
Well thank you sir, I appreciate the input. I knew there were two different versions, I just didn't realize which one was dead. Sorry to hear it isn't in the cards for you... but then again I think the whole thing is silly. EV's are selling out faster than companies can make them and companies have already invested tens of billions in EV research and development - the sector really doesn't need any incentivization at this point. I'll still take advantage of it if it presents itself, but I just don't see the need.

Well thank you sir, I appreciate the input. I knew there were two different versions, I just didn't realize which one was dead. Sorry to hear it isn't in the cards for you... but then again I think the whole thing is silly. EV's are selling out faster than companies can make them and companies have already invested tens of billions in EV research and development - the sector really doesn't need any incentivization at this point. I'll still take advantage of it if it presents itself, but I just don't see the need.
I agree. The fact Tesla MYLR backlog is now like 8 months at their current prices should be indication enough that the tax credit is not needed. Tax credits are to help incentivise and clearly, EVs don't need incentives for people to adopt. And we know what Tesla is going to do IF the tax bill passes, continue to raise their prices so some of those tax incentives that will be coming from tax payers like all of us will indirectly be fed back to Tesla (which I'm okay with as a shareholder. Hahaha).