Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Big FWD Issue, Help?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey VegasSoldier
Comparable symptoms (driver side FWD shows open&close icons, FWD failed to open from touchscreen, exterior, interior or fob ... driver door didn't honor/recognize FWD ultrasonics for clearance & hence only opened a crack), comparable remedy (SC forced firmware update - they claim the bug is remedied in 2.42.40). Love my SC!
Same here Dogldogl. I have had my x for about a month now and this is the second time this has happen. I still love my X.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
I just got this issue in my passenger fwd. Any pointers on if this can be fixed easily via a reset? Is there a way for us to force a firmware upgrade? It sucks that this had to happen like 15 mins before we were to leave for a week long family trip ... I still love the car (sic)

They are rolling out firmware now... No way to force as far as we know ; some used to force some luck by parking close to their SC and getting their car connect to Tesla wifi. Hoping that the FW will fix it for everyone, and also that QA will learn from it :-(

It's got to be a silly firmware bug. The door is in a funky stage and the firmware cannot detect whether it's open or closed. This is just a guess looking at how the screen shows both the options for the door. I am positive a firmware reinstall or an upgrade should fix it. However unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to force this...

Got exactly the same symptoms yesterday in my wife's X, left FWD would not open, screen is showing both icons (open & close). Also driver's door only opens a little and we need to force it to enter or exit. Called Tesla and waiting for SC to give us appointment. @Pandamoanium did it really take 3 weeks to repair?
What is the procedure for a manual opening?

I never saw this, sorry!

It took my SC about a week including the ordering of parts.

Manual opening was done through the speakers in the door, I'd suggest you call the SC or roadside and ask them how to do it. Some people are not comfortable doing it but it wasn't too bad.

It's got to be a silly firmware bug. The door is in a funky stage and the firmware cannot detect whether it's open or closed. This is just a guess looking at how the screen shows both the options for the door. I am positive a firmware reinstall or an upgrade should fix it. However unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to force this...

If it's the same issue I had then it was not a firmware/software related issue but a mechanical one.

So this is the second time I'm dealing with this problem. My FWD (falcon wing door) on my driver side is saying is open but its close. I am getting both the buttons on my screen. The door wont open or close. I tried with the key fob, screen, door, and the actual switch in the back. The first time this happen to me, it started with the driver side fwd. Then my driver side door would only open an inch, even when there was nothing next to it. Then my passenger fwd started to do the same thing. I called the Tesla 800 number and they didn't know what it was. This time I called and explain to them again about the problem. They said they would check my logs and call me in the morning. They fixed it the first time by replacing the sensors on both sided. I can tell they downgraded the firmware and then upgraded it. I kept getting the notification on my phone about the firmware. I have had the x less then 30 days. This would be the third problem I have had with it.
This exact same thing is happening to me. It just started happening to me today. I have only had my MX since around May, but have had numerous problems. I am so frustrated by this car, especially since it is so satisfying and amazing to drive. Argh.

My MX has lots of issues with FWD. It has been in the shop for five within 100 days of ownership. FWD will not open consistently in variety of situations. The recent repair couple of days ago, on FWD with firmware upgrade has made things worse, as today morning one of the FWD got locked and can't open with FOB, center screen, outside handle or inside button. I did troubleshooting with tesla tech over the phone without any help.

So my passenger FWD will not open. It is closed and shut tight. Center screen shows the door as closed, but it has both button options to open and close the FWD. Pressing either one does nothing.

I've called the SC and set an appointment. I tried resetting the center screen and the instrument cluster. I even popped the door open manually and played with the FWD latch controller.

Has anyone ran into this issue also and know what the fix is?
----------------
Yep sitting here right now with driver side FWD inoperative closed. Same symptoms as everyone, both symbols on screen pressing these, fob, exterior handle, interior switch no action. Reset both computers and emergency power off too. Window operates, door fit looks perfect in jamb to me. Pushed and pulled, no difference, Firmware 2.50.114. It has worked fine before today, same firmware. Washed car yesterday and it is rainly today also. Other side no issues. SC will look at in when they open and I go in tomorrow. GGrrrrr family here from out of town, baby seats, luggage, airport runs - I need my car Tesla. 5,198 miles delivered early August.

The SC was acccomodating but started off wanting me to take a loaner and leave the MX. No way, too much hauling to do today and tomorrow. So they said I could wait. Took about 1 1/2 hrs with good news. They pulled logs and confirmed what I had seen with FWD fail to open (and saw a second row seat issues too - another story). I was told they did a total hard reset of the system and this solved the problem, which they rested many times. I said I had done 3 different resets already including the emergency power off one. He said what they did was different, from their laptop and not something an owner could do themselves. This also corrected the driver door which was not opening fully for at least a week or so.

Let's hope this sticks. They did not change firmware which is 2.50.114. They did order a controller to solve what they detected with 2nd row seats not moving forward and tilting properly. I'll wait and see on that one.

----------------
Yep sitting here right now with driver side FWD inoperative closed. Same symptoms as everyone, both symbols on screen pressing these, fob, exterior handle, interior switch no action. Reset both computers and emergency power off too. Window operates, door fit looks perfect in jamb to me. Pushed and pulled, no difference, Firmware 2.50.114. It has worked fine before today, same firmware. Washed car yesterday and it is rainly today also. Other side no issues. SC will look at in when they open and I go in tomorrow. GGrrrrr family here from out of town, baby seats, luggage, airport runs - I need my car Tesla. 5,198 miles delivered early August.

Wondering how this turned out.

My MX is in the SC right now for this very same set of symptoms. (I also had the issue with the front door sensing an obstruction).

I think they fixed it with yet another recalibration (they believe it is firmware related, but relatively random and unlikely). Getting the car back soon.

Like you, my issue also appeared in the rain.... The last time the door was open (and then closed), it was lightly raining.

My MX was a 7xxx vin picked up early June and my passenger FWD just went yesterday. Same story with both icons on screen, and will not move with fob/screen/handle. I have a service appt for May for other stuff (passenger front door window not closing properly) that can wait that long. Now might have to drive out to SC sooner I am thinking. I will call the 1-800 line when I have time and see if they can reset online.

Just got this same problem this am myself! Worked fine yesterday, now kaput. Anyone try the FWD factory reset (frunk open, ground wire disconnect from Ohmman's sticky)? No service appts until next week, interested in trying this.

Forgot to add that the passenger side door doesn't seem to want to open all the way anymore, even with no objects in the way. And that a firmware update failed, too.

Just got this same problem this am myself! Worked fine yesterday, now kaput. Anyone try the FWD factory reset (frunk open, ground wire disconnect from Ohmman's sticky)? No service appts until next week, interested in trying this.

Forgot to add that the passenger side door doesn't seem to want to open all the way anymore, even with no objects in the way. And that a firmware update failed, too.

Just fixed my own problem! Found another way to reset the door from a similar FWD problem thread: with the door closed, pull the FWD switch up and hold it for about 20 secs. Heard a mechanism in the door run after the pause. After that, door worked fine again! And although the passenger side still doesn't open all the way, it was much better than before the FWD reset.

THANKS TMC!!!

Can we add this method to Omman's sticky?? FWD reset.

If I had read the other thread, I would not have had to take the car to Tesla Service, who in the 30 mins or so I was there, was unable to help me. They were super busy tho, so I doubt they spent much effort looking at it as I didn't have an appt.