Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Colorado Supercharger location confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We cruised by Silverthorne to freshen up. They don't look like they will be ready this weekend but I am not a contractor.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, somebody forgot to tell the home office that they actually installed more than four. I guess we'll find out in Saturday how many of them are energized.

I only tested one but none had any signs saying they were out of order.

So far, I only have commitments from SteveZZZZ and me for the Colorado Supercharger outing Tomorrow. Anyone else interested? If so, let us know and if you are comfortable with it, send me your cell phone and e-mail to via a Private message at View Profile: Cottonwood

SteveZZZZ and I would love to have some company. Here are the plans:

1. 9:30am or so - Meet for Coffee at Mountain Lyon Cafe in Silvethorne and check out the Supercharger status nearby. From recent reports, it is not operational.
  2. Convoy or just enjoy the drive to Glenwood, meeting at the Supercharger at noon or so. Glenwood Springs Supercharger | Tesla Motors
  3. Because it is approximately 180 miles for most front range drivers to Glenwood, many of us will want to take on a good solid charge for the return. Worst case, that is an hour each on the Supercharger. Even though the Tesla site says there are only 4 stalls in Glenwood, it appears that there are more from pictures. Bring your swimsuit, Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge, Pool and Spa is about two miles away. If some MS's are not charging, we can use them to shuttle over to the hot springs.

My plan is to do an almost full range charge, to both just watch how the charging tapers and to be able to do the return trip via Aspen and Independance Pass. That route is three major passes and 211 miles back to Boulder. That range and mountain driving are completely doable in a fully charged P85, but I will want to start with a full charge and drive somewhat conservatively. Boy, it would be great to have the Silverthorne site up and running for that return route...

Charge rate from Supercharger | Tesla Motors
SC Charging.png

Cottonwood, I know of at least one other Model S owner who's planning to meet us in Silverthorne, and another who's planning to skip Silverthorne and be at Glenwood around noon (that's in addition to wycolo).

Colorado Model S owners converged on the new Glenwood Superchargers today. We occupied five of the six charging stalls and drank from the firehose for an hour or so before dispersing again. From left to right: Quent, from Lafayette; Willy (wycolo) from Encampment, WY; Butch (Cottonwood) from Boulder; Bennett (EVger) from Edwards and Bob, from Littleton; and Stevezzzz, from Broomfield. It was a gorgeous day for a drive in the mountains and the Superchargers lived up to their billing. How cool is that? My round trip was 370 miles at an average of 271 Wh/mi; that includes a climb from our home at 5000' elevation over two major passes in each direction (Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,158'; and Vail Pass at 10,662' elevation). We drove mostly at about 5 mph over the speed limit, averaging 65-80 mph. It's impressive how well Model S performs in the mountains, and how efficiently it recaptures energy on the downhills.

We trooped into the lobby of the Residence Inn and told the desk clerk how much we appreciated their making the parking spaces available to Tesla for the Superchargers.

I also stopped by Silverthorne SC's; we found the gates open on the construction site and no one around. So I parked and plugged in at one of the SC pedestals and confirmed that they are not energized yet. Then a couple of construction guys in a pickup came and ran us out, saying that the site will be ready for business sometime next week. BTW, the signage at each parking stall in Glenwood says "Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking" while the signs at Silverthorne say "Tesla / 30 Minute General Parking". That must have been a negotiating point with the owners of the lot, but really I don't see the problem since the Superchargers are located in an overflow area at the outlet stores and there doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for parking, even in the main lot.

20130921-_9210123.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the Silverthorne site with my Sig S plugged in but not charging (the SC's aren't operational yet). While I was there a guy with one of those airport shuttle buses stopped and started pumping me for information. He's intrigued with the idea of adding some Model X cars to his fleet of ground transport vehicles. Tesla Time! It's all good...
View attachment 31137

Last edited:
My thanks to Stevezzzz, Bob and Cottonwood for picking me up for the convoy to Glenwood today. It was very impressive to see the three Model Ss rolling up the hill and into my driveway. The ride through Glenwood Canyon was a impressive as ever.
It was great to witness the fast charging. There are 6 bays (3 pairs) in Glenwood. Attached are two photos of various Model Ss Supercharging there.
It was a pleasure to meet the entire group. What a great day!

Teslas @ Glenwood .JPG
Teslas @ Glenwood 2.jpg

My thanks to Stevezzzz, Bob and Cottonwood for picking me up for the convoy to Glenwood today. It was very impressive to see the three Model Ss rolling up the hill and into my driveway. The ride through Glenwood Canyon was a impressive as ever.
It was great to witness the fast charging. There are 6 bays (3 pairs) in Glenwood. Attached are two photos of various Model Ss Supercharging there.
It was a pleasure to meet the entire group. What a great day!

Great meeting you, EVger! Here is a picture of the three MS's in your driveway. Good luck with your future purchase!

Edwards-md.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Colorado Model S owners converged on the new Glenwood Superchargers today. We occupied five of the six charging stalls and drank from the firehose for an hour or so before dispersing again. ...

I took the road less traveled to head back east and am very happy that I did. I drove to Aspen, had a nice hike with some friends there and then drove over Independence Pass leaving Aspen at 5pm. At that hour on Saturday Evening, there was almost no traffic going my way. With the light traffic, I was able to take that twisty mountain road with spirit, lots of fun! Even with the spirited driving, I had ample charge to make it back to Boulder. The Independence Pass, Fremont Pass, Eisenhower Tunnel route give you three crossings of the continental divide!

BTW, peak color should be next weekend along I-70; maybe we need a do-over next weekend with Silverthorne open! Here is a picture of my MS on top of Independence Pass:

Independance.JPG

There are three Supercharger cabinets and six charging pedestals, all of which are enabled. The website has it wrong.

And the Silverthorne site has four Supercharger cabinets and 8 charging pedestals. See the picture below taken the morning of 9/22. With a little luck, Silverthorne will be online this week. We will see how many stalls are listed.

Silverthorne 20130922.JPG

BTW, my overall stats for the trip were 387.7 miles, 113.3 kWh, 292 Wh/mi, crossing the 5 major passes and the Continental Divide 4 times! Over a year after delivery, S00037 lost its Supercharger virginity.

See Supercharger charging rate anomaly for some analysis of my charging data.

Last edited:
Man I stop checking this post for a week and look what happens! I guess a watched pot never boils because I've been looking here and on Tesla Motors site frequently since June. Now of course I am swamped at work and won't be able to make it up there for a lil while. I'm totally jealous of y'all. Post more pics!!

Indeed it is Glenwood Springs SC in the group photo. Seems we are doomed to mis-name and confuse these two SC locations for some odd reason. But they are bringing Tesla into the High Country big time. Great that everyone could make it!
--

Sorry I missed you guys but Telluride was pretty nice this weekend. My stats for this weekend. All legs were done at about the speed limit, which is no fun but it was my first real road trip and I wanted to make sure I made it.

Parker to Silverthorne = 88.3 mi, 30.2 kWh, 342 wh/mi. with an elevation gain of 3,166 ft.
Parker to Glenwood Springs = 181.4 mi, 50.4kWh, 278 wh/mi with a total elevation loss of 108 ft.
Total for Parker to Telluride = 371.2 mi, 110.0 kWh, 296 wh/mi with a total elevation gain of 2,881 ft.

On the return trip, I did 290 wh/mi. but it was raining cats and dogs the whole trip home. It was even snowing on Vail Pass and at the Tunnel. I figure that probably cost me about 10%.

There was an asphalt trailer in one of the supercharger spots on the return trip. Not a big deal in the middle of the day but I am worried that the stations are too close to the hotel and they will be iced in the evenings.

Last edited: