Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First day of my 12.24 kW install!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 26 cameras around my property including 4 in the attic. They range in brand, model, and price. I'm using Blue Iris as my NDVR and it's doing the motion detection for each stream. Since nothing moves in the attic, it's set to most sensitive settings available.

26 cameras!!! That is some bandwidth.

Thinking about adding a camera or 2 to my Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro. Never thought to add one to the attic, but it would capture any critters.

Your peak today with a 7% system loss (really conservative) would have you at 8.1KW at noon.

Are the 8 panels on the flat portion not titled SSW for optimal peak time production? They look completely flat.

Today I did a bit better. Looks like I peaked at 9.3KW. Thought it might have been some type of cloud effect as it was a bit of blip up.

The flat roof tiles are parallel with the flat roof which has a very slight east by southeast slope.

Screenshot_20200823-171747.png

Based on your layout and being in SoCal, 8.3KW is excellent. PVWatts only has you at:

(Summing up each panel group on an hourly basis based on your azimuth and roof angle)

Your peak today with a 7% system loss (really conservative) would have you at 8.1KW at noon.

Are the 8 panels on the flat portion not titled SSW for optimal peak time production? They look completely flat.
One word of caution with PVWatts hourly and daily data (and this may not apply as much for SoCal as where I am) is that it seems to be highly variable, based on the weather history for the specific date. While it all should average out over time, it could be well off for a day. As an example, PVWatts daily numbers for me for the next week (in kWh) are: 34.7, 33.0, 22.8, 8.9, 27.3, 22.9, 23.0. Clearly these are not actual predictions of what will happen. But, when all of August is averaged out, the 29.1 kWh/day PVWatts comes up with is reasonable.

One word of caution with PVWatts hourly and daily data (and this may not apply as much for SoCal as where I am) is that it seems to be highly variable, based on the weather history for the specific date. While it all should average out over time, it could be well off for a day. As an example, PVWatts daily numbers for me for the next week (in kWh) are: 34.7, 33.0, 22.8, 8.9, 27.3, 22.9, 23.0. Clearly these are not actual predictions of what will happen. But, when all of August is averaged out, the 29.1 kWh/day PVWatts comes up with is reasonable.

It would be great if the site had a way to tell you what the generation would be on any given day regardless of weather.

SCE's website is starting to be updated to reflect the NEM changes.

SCE generated a partial month's bill through 8/22. I received PTO on 8/22.

It is showing I'm now on a 12 month cycle. Not sure why it still says my rate plan is DOMESTIC instead of one of the TOU plans.

upload_2020-8-29_10-28-9.png

Good to see the some negative usage during the middle of the day. Also happy to see lower usage in the 5-8 time period. We still are generating solar power until 7 PM so it offsets our baseline usage a bit. I know that will go away during the winter.

We are still using more power in total than we are generating each day. However, it has been hot and our AC has been running a lot. Our usage has typically been 80-100 kWh while our generation is 60 - 65 kWh. Hopefully, once this heat wave passes our usage will be less than our generation.

upload_2020-8-29_10-23-35.png

It would be great if the site had a way to tell you what the generation would be on any given day regardless of weather.

I've toyed around with Solcast, which attempts to predict solar irradiance at a given location considering all factors including weather. They have free plans for hobbyist users which can do short term predictions however I've found it challenging to get accurate results since I have panels facing 3 directions and the free service only allows for aggregate panel descriptions (N total panels facing average X direction). It's been on my list to play with it more but things have been...busy :)

did you go with the system they proposed to you?

Yes. It was mostly just more work for them. I do wish I had pushed for more panels on the southern garage though as it would have hid a bit of a the conduit better and it looks a little odd to have 6 panels sitting there as you walk up to the house. More panels would make it blend in a bit more I think instead of being a pod structure popping out of the garage.

Yes. It was mostly just more work for them. I do wish I had pushed for more panels on the southern garage though as it would have hid a bit of a the conduit better and it looks a little odd to have 6 panels sitting there as you walk up to the house. More panels would make it blend in a bit more I think instead of being a pod structure popping out of the garage.

do you know how many kWh/day your system generates?

Although honestly, my order to install time wasn’t really too bad. It’s the install to PTO time that’s killing me. But at least I’ve been able to run the system off grid while I’m waiting (and I’ve generated more than 4.1MWh during that time as well). If I just had to sit there and stare at my solar panels while they were doing nothing for 10+ weeks I’m not sure I would have been able to stay sane.