Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First display cars in Century City & Palo Alto Stanford Shopping Mall Tesla Stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Tesla Model 3 display cars are going to LA and Palo Alto Friday
7CBE595F-40B1-4354-84A3-DE7551EA71E0.jpeg
7636724F-FAF2-4ED3-A07E-E80F87336123.jpeg

image.jpg

Yesterday was the first day the Model 3 was available to be looked at on the inside (without permission from a private owner (or at invite-only functions)) by the public, including reservation holders who reserved on or after March 31, 2016 (regardless if they are at the top of the configuration queue, including those who already can configure). Obviously, locally, that’s a lot of people, especially on the first weekend.

The nice store employee who checked me in said the line was long all day today (Saturday). They estimated a 45 minute to one hour wait; I’d say it’s closer to 1.5 hours in line. Everyone is good natured and happyish, with that shopping mentality (to help figure out their product purchase interests and decisions).

Last edited:
I’m getting a blue (if I’m getting one), but in the store spotlighting, the gray glistens richly. Our planet isn’t this bright unless it’s sunlight which saturates everything.

I learned with the Model S that Tesla Model S doesn’t do subdued; I must go for the best great color possible (no more drab for me). For me, that’s blue, and at this point, I think it would be a great fit for my Model 3 if I get one.

Ok, almost to the front of the line ...

Mostly couples and a few families are in this line. A few babies and younger children are present with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. J
I got my 60 seconds. I tripped over the entryway getting in, but once in, I adjusted the seat, and it was comfortable, better than my Model S was. The sides did not jut as harshly into my sides as the S. The headrest is not extendable to reach my head. There is ample headroom! My knees went slightly up. I did not get a chance to see how that feels after 60 minutes of driving. My time was up, so I got out, same difficult entryway.

Since I was allowed to use up a little more time of the next couple by checking the back seat myself, I sat there too. Similar difficult entryway. Comfortable, roomy knee room (after my adjustments for my driver position), roomy head room. This is a real back seat for normal sized people! Getting out once again had difficult entryway. You must take care not to trip getting in or out of Model 3. This back seat is actually useful for adults, unlike back seat of Model S (2nd row) and X (3rd row, and sometimes 2nd row).

The push button exit I read about in reviews is very easy to use and comfortable. I like it a lot.

The outer door handle is fine, as expected.

I did not get a chance to play with sound, but it was already on low, and it was already better than my Model S UHFS (which is consistent with what other new owners’ reviews said who had both).

Now I can’t wait!

Last edited:
P.S.., today’s switcheroo on the headliner is a reminder seats could be different once delivered. I’m going to have to re-test immediately before configure and get clarification on exact seat model to be installed. If it’s the one they had now, for instance, I’m hopeful I’d be pretty satisfied. (I don’t think I care about the headliner, but obviously the seat is very important.) Be careful once they introduce option creep. Luckily, Model 3 specifically isn’t supposed to have much option creep, intentionally, so that should be kept under control. Just stay alert to your particular needs. I presume the Model 3 I sat in is the premium upgraded version. For Model S and Model X, many options triggered different seat types.

As I said, I’d love to have a Model 3 as presented in that store. I didn’t get to drive it, so I don’t know about bumpiness or handling, but I’ve read it is bumpy and has good mountain handling and more than satisfactory acceleration in the LR version.

Last edited:
I’m going to say it: Right now, from second hand reviews and my sit-in, I think Tesla Model 3 (Long Range Premium) is better than my prior Tesla Model S. The Model S has a few additional features the Model 3 doesn’t have, but the Model 3 is just better. Even though the Model 3 is spartan, it has a better design and fit.

Model X is in between, with its better headroom than Model S but still not as good as Model 3, more driver legroom than S, wider seat than S but similar to 3, better sound than S but not as good as 3, towing, auto doors and Falcon Wing Doors, and better power, but 3 has superior rear seats. Also, AWD (all wheel drive) is already available in X and S. And, obviously, S & X, being more expensive, are better price status symbols, but that doesn’t matter to me (if I wanted a better price status symbol, I’d hire a boutique unit to convert a loaded new MBZ S65 to AWD electric with a wk057 kit or something ... well, and have a loaded Model X charging under a solar canopy at work, and my assistant and wife with same, and children all with Model 3. Model 3 is about quality and excellence for everyone that can afford it, not signaling exceptional social successes expressed through the story of money, and since I’m short on exceptional social successes expressed through money, the Model 3 seems like a better than superior choice, although it is still too pricey even for me at $55,000 out the door today, much more for some AI development donation options.)

Last edited:
@Ulmo - did you happen to get a pic of the VIN of the Model 3? Just curious if it's an RC unit or a recent build. I think I heard it's got the fabric headliner, so that would indicate a recent build (or a retrofit).

Thanks!
I’m sorry. I absolutely could have checked the VIN, but it never occurred to me. I’m really sorry.

In line, I considered trying to figure out the cloth types, but decided I wouldn’t be able to tell in the time alotted (and I was right). I would need quieter shopping hours to examine that, and my schedule gives me none of those hours available. While still in line, I glanced at it, and nothing distinguishable stood out to me, so I decided it was bad for my time budget to look into it.

I bet someone not in line could figure it out by comparing the S, X up close, 3 from a dozen feet away, and store interior samples, but even then, they’d need to study pictures online to have a clue what they’re looking at first.

With proper access and time, the cloth types would be fun to determine, but not one of my vital purchase points (to me it’s about truth in sales and communication, lest they change something actually important, like seats or audio or something). I have more confidence in the Model 3 design than any of Tesla’s previous vehicles, and I assume they picked a good surface for me.

Fair warning: I just ate pizza and drank some coffee in downtown Palo Alto in the last 20 minutes; assume better opinions about everything from me right now.

Last edited:
Wow... that’s a crazy line.
I was going to stop by, but will wait a few days... it’s only going to add to my angst for getting my car!
Yup. I got cold there and started to get a hunger migraine right afterward. I never wait in lines ever for anything at all (I mean anything; I won’t take planes, for instance), but obviously Tesla is an exception (duh). A new experience for me. The other people there couldn’t have been better for a two hour line full of people.

Reactions: Pkmmte and geometro
New Electrek article covering the interest with info about the LA county Century City Tesla Store:

Tesla Model 3 attracts large crowds with first display cars

It looks similar to the crowd I saw Saturday in Palo Alto's Stanford Shopping Mall Tesla Store.

Palo Alto sports two Tesla Stores. The "Palo Alto Tesla Store and Service Center" is different from the "(Palo Alto) Stanford Shopping Mall Tesla Store". The "Palo Alto Tesla Store" has no Model 3 displayed, but does sport a Service Center. I don't know the actual official names of each store.

I’m going to say it: Right now, from second hand reviews and my sit-in, I think Tesla Model 3 (Long Range Premium) is better than my prior Tesla Model S. The Model S has a few additional features the Model 3 doesn’t have, but the Model 3 is just better. Even though the Model 3 is spartan, it has a better design and fit.

Model X is in between, with its better headroom than Model S but still not as good as Model 3, more driver legroom than S, wider seat than S but similar to 3, better sound than S but not as good as 3, towing, auto doors and Falcon Wing Doors, and better power, but 3 has superior rear seats. Also, AWD (all wheel drive) is already available in X and S. And, obviously, S & X, being more expensive, are better price status symbols, but that doesn’t matter to me (if I wanted a better price status symbol, I’d hire a boutique unit to convert a loaded new MBZ S65 to AWD electric with a wk057 kit or something ... well, and have a loaded Model X charging under a solar canopy at work, and my assistant and wife with same, and children all with Model 3. Model 3 is about quality and excellence for everyone that can afford it, not signaling exceptional social successes expressed through the story of money, and since I’m short on exceptional social successes expressed through money, the Model 3 seems like a better than superior choice, although it is still too pricey even for me at $55,000 out the door today, much more for some AI development donation options.)

Posts like this really lead me to believe that the Model S refresh is coming sooner rather than later...

RT

Reactions: T34ME
Posts like this really lead me to believe that the Model S refresh is coming sooner rather than later...

RT
Maybe. Maybe the Model S refresh is obsolescence. I suppose if we don’t see a refresh soon, that will be the outcome regardless. I, for one, could not imagine purchasing a Model S in it’s current state despite having the financial resources. So glad I waited.

Thanks in advance for the disagrees :p

Reactions: T34ME
New Electrek article covering the interest with info about the LA county Century City Tesla Store:

It looks similar to the crowd I saw Saturday in Palo Alto's Stanford Shopping Mall Tesla Store.

Palo Alto sports two Tesla Stores. The "Palo Alto Tesla Store and Service Center" is different from the "(Palo Alto) Stanford Shopping Mall Tesla Store". The "Palo Alto Tesla Store" has no Model 3 displayed, but does sport a Service Center. I don't know the actual official names of each store.

We picked up our S at the Palo Alto Store location. Staging the Model at the Stanford Shopping Center gives them ample room for parking, the Store/SvC does not. Pretty small parking lot there.

Thanks for the photos and your impressions. Hope to make it over there at some point too. Not surprised by the lines and wait. I've waited in lines at different Tesla stores for events before they opened the doors and always a nice crowd. Fun exchanging info with too. Many are repeat and current owners but lots of new-to-Tesla people too. I'm seeing so many Teslas on the road even in the south bay/south county area with Zero plates still on.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo

Awesome! I am quoted in the article with my pictures from Century City.

My master plan on taking my wife there so she would pull the trigger on the order worked.

Just placed the order for the Red Model 3 with aero wheels!

Reactions: MP3Mike