Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla put on a drive day in Torquay (Victoria, Australia) today. Heath took myself and my wife out in the 85, here are our thoughts:

1. The quietness. Such an amazing feeling, clicking the lever to D, then smoothly pushing on the accelerator to begin moving without the noise and delay of an ICE.
2. The power. The 85 had more than enough to give us both the "holy ****!" feeling, I can't even begin to imagine what the P85D must be like!! Also, the feeling of absolutely instantaneous acceleration is incredible.
3. The handling. I was very impressed with how well planted the car felt on the road. Even with the 21's, I didn't feel the ride was at all harsh.
4. The Tesla grin. Now I know exactly what everyone meant by the "Tesla grin". I couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

Getting back into our ICE felt prehistoric, ancient, terrible, like we'd been moved back in time. It's only a matter of time before ICE vehicles will be a distant memory.

All in all, I can't wait to park one of these in the garage. I always thought I'd get the P85D, however I really felt the 85 had enough. I'd hate to feel a case of upgraditis too soon though....

You've taken the pill, it's only a matter of time.

No doubt you won't be disappointed by any model. I too was afraid of "upgraditis" but even after test driving the P85D I knew I didn't need that much power for all that extra money. So I went with the 85D and it was 100% the right choice for me. To each his own. Others wouldn't be happy with anything less than the P85D.

Good luck!

You've taken the pill, it's only a matter of time.

No doubt you won't be disappointed by any model. I too was afraid of "upgraditis" but even after test driving the P85D I knew I didn't need that much power for all that extra money. So I went with the 85D and it was 100% the right choice for me. To each his own. Others wouldn't be happy with anything less than the P85D.

Good luck!

I can send the buy what you want idea. I took a 85D for a test drive, but ended up with a 70D, and I still love driving the car.

I have respect for anyone who makes a decision about their car and is content with it afterwards. I had my test drive in the P85D and the controlled madness of that car made me feel alive. It confirmed my decision to order that model was the right one. It is coming soon but never soon enough!

I have the S85 signature in Australia. Far more than enough power and no regret or any desire to complicate things with a dual motor. We don't, for practical purposes get snow and who in their right mind would drive one in slippery dirt or mud? No real NEEED for all wheel drive. I don't even need or want a P or a P+.