Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impression: Not Happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today we picked up our much anticipated CPO P85. I've been lurking on the forum and heard great things about the CPO program and that cars were re-conditioned to excellent condition as expected of any CPO program. We were in good hands - I was certain.

I dont feel great right now. Our car was in a very obvious sand storm and has pitting on all front paint and glass. I showed this to the advisor and was met with, "its a used car," and "we'll see what we can do." Other minor things were a tear in the seat leather and the previous owners make up stains on the alcantara headliner.

I just sold my 7 Series BMW and had all imperfections re-painted, wheels refreshed and put new tires on for the new owner. I spent $1500 so it looked like new for the elated guy that came to my home to purchase. Now I'm told I just bought a used car in worse condition than the one I just sold, and "we'll see what we can do."

Yeah, we shouldn't have accepted the car, but we've been driving our family around and to work with one car and catching rides for the last month. We do love the car and the experience is super cool, but not knowing if the car will be fixed to CPO standards is a bad feeling. Kind of a pit in my stomach. I told the advisor who was 100% non-committal the whole time, "Imagine if you just spent 70K on a car and you discover it needs a new windshield and new headlights, fog lights and the whole front needs repainting...

Hopefully, they will fix and I'm going to request a set of 21 inch wheels to make us feel better for the hassle of this bad experience.

I'll take some and post. Pitting is hard to see and the only way I caught it was the very bright overhead lights in the showroom. They took it to the service center to try to fix these issues, but I told them it needs new paint and all the glass needs replacing. When they brought it outside, even the non-committal advisor had to admit that there was pitting everywhere and white spots were apparent on the hood, glass and bumper.

I have to say, your story would make a lot more sense to me if e.g. the show-room obscured the damage and it was quite clear when you got home and looked at the car in normal sunlight. In that case I would feel duped. In your case ... I'm also at a loss to understand why you took delivery of a car you consider unacceptable from the get-go.

Reactions: jimmyjohn
Thanks for the feedback and I'm clear now I should have not accepted. But reminding me of this on every post is only rubbing salt into the wound. I was hoping my Tesla Brothers would lift my spirits and tell me how great things were going to be!

I can identify with what you are experiencing. I've bought new and used, and turned in lease vehicles, etc. Realistically, the only car you can expect (demand) to be perfect is a new one.... and having worked in an assembly plant for 15 years, I know that even a vehicle new from the factory can have a lot of blemishes (due to stuff that happens at the factory).

I don't know the details of Tesla's representation of what a CPO car is expected to be. If you were led to believe it should be "like new," then you have to press them to make it so. (Do they really say that in writing?)

My experience with buying CPO (Mercedes, Toyota), was that they were trying to make the car as nice as possible, but there is some normal wear and tear. Maybe that is in the eye of the beholder; but in each case, I felt I was getting a car with most of its usable life still remaining, but at a substantial discount (i.e., a good value), such that minor imperfections were not an issue to me.

So, in short, I feel your pain, but if you want new, you have to pay for new.

I'm going to request a set of 21 inch wheels to make us feel better for the hassle of this bad experience.
o_O I think you may have got too many trophies as a kid.

With a good attitude, I think you and Tesla can come to a reasonable solution quickly. Pressing the "I demand" button after accepting delivery (and signing all those papers) leaves you vulnerable in this unfortunate situation. Good luck.

Wasn't trying to rub it in. Sorry.

But you really should look on the much, much brighter side - you have an amazing car now. And worst case scenario is you spend $1-2K to make it look fantastic. I do hope you get this taken care of one way or another sooner than later, so that the pit in your stomach goes away. And then your baby will bring you nothing but joy!

Also, as NikeWings said, try not to come off too demanding (I wouldn't even mention additional rims). Tesla doesn't have to do jack for you at this point, so you'll likely get more out of them with a carrot and not a stick.

Good luck.

I seriously considered a CPO before ordering. I did not have the same impression from reading other CPO purchasers experiences here. At best, the system is inconsistent. True, they may be able to make things right after the fact, but the idea that the cars are carefully reconditioned, or even cleaned up, is not what I saw reported from a significant number of buyers.

Sorry to hear of your experience, and I feel your pain, so please don't take this wrong but when asked to post pictures you said:

I'll take some and post. Pitting is hard to see and the only way I caught it was the very bright overhead lights in the showroom.

Can it really be that bad if it won't show up in pictures and the only way you caught it was in the bright lights? Again, I'm just asking.

other minor things were a tear in the seat leather and the previous owners make up stains on the alcantara headliner.

Please post pictures of this damage.

As I have stated previously, sand damage is extremely hard to notice unless in direct sunlight. Anyway, here are some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 165