Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First L3 Self Driving Car - Audi A8 world premieres in Barcelona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Audi A6 released. From Car Magazine:
"Tech has trickled out from the A6’s bigger siblings, meaning it has the capability for Level 3 autonomy (check out what that means here), mainly thanks to the suite of radar scanners in the little modules protruding out of the grille. Those panels use just some of the five radar sensors, five cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors and a laser as part of its suite of driver assistance kit.
The Level 3 autonomous tech isn’t quite available in the UK, just as Chris Chilton found out in his drive of the A7 Sportback, but the kit is there for when the UK eventually says yes to Level 3 autonomy being used on public roads. We're not joking: the new A6 is ready to drive itself.
HERE mapping data is used to optimise the best route for you in the navigation system, your Android smartphone can be turned into a key through the myAudi app and there’s a parking pilot for both public bays and your home garage.
The new Audi A6 saloon will be available to order soon, launching in Europe from June 2018. Prices aren’t known yet but we expect the range to start from around £35,000 for an entry-level A6 40 TDI SE in the UK."

Guess we really need that sensitive and specific 2018.8/10/? update really fast. Since 2018.6.1 is still really useless with a bit of snow and slush partly obscuring the lane markers.
Don't know how manufacturers are going to deal with snow and ice. All of these sensors are going to be blocked and useless.

New Audi A6 released. From Car Magazine:
"Tech has trickled out from the A6’s bigger siblings, meaning it has the capability for Level 3 autonomy (check out what that means here), mainly thanks to the suite of radar scanners in the little modules protruding out of the grille. Those panels use just some of the five radar sensors, five cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors and a laser as part of its suite of driver assistance kit.
The Level 3 autonomous tech isn’t quite available in the UK, just as Chris Chilton found out in his drive of the A7 Sportback, but the kit is there for when the UK eventually says yes to Level 3 autonomy being used on public roads. We're not joking: the new A6 is ready to drive itself.
HERE mapping data is used to optimise the best route for you in the navigation system, your Android smartphone can be turned into a key through the myAudi app and there’s a parking pilot for both public bays and your home garage.
The new Audi A6 saloon will be available to order soon, launching in Europe from June 2018. Prices aren’t known yet but we expect the range to start from around £35,000 for an entry-level A6 40 TDI SE in the UK."

Guess we really need that sensitive and specific 2018.8/10/? update really fast. Since 2018.6.1 is still really useless with a bit of snow and slush partly obscuring the lane markers.

Can I see a link? to Car Magazine

NVM, I found it.

Europe June 2018? India Early 2019? USA when?

Last edited:
I could live with 37mph for traffic... If it actually worked.

The limitations they talk about are worrying too. Only on multi-lane roads, and only with traffic on both sides. No good when queuing for an exit or on a single carriage way.

I could live with 37mph for traffic... If it actually worked.

The limitations they talk about are worrying too. Only on multi-lane roads, and only with traffic on both sides. No good when queuing for an exit or on a single carriage way.
This is getting to be a bit absurd. There are so many limitations to this "Level 3" autonomy as to make it useless.
I could say my 20 year old Land Rover is Level 3 Autonomous as long as the road is straight, speed is 35 mph, no other traffic, good weather, driver ready to take over, etc.

Reactions: hiroshiy and zmarty
What makes you think it disengaged?

The biggest hint was when that alarm sound went off and the guy said something like "okay I have to take over now", then grabbed the steering wheel and started driving. But really it was when the two of them had that extended discussion about why it disengaged that completely convinced me.

Worryingly the driver said that it disengaged because the traffic in the adjacent lane cleared up. The car requires it to be hemmed in on both sides or it panics.

The biggest hint was when that alarm sound went off and the guy said something like "okay I have to take over now", then grabbed the steering wheel and started driving. But really it was when the two of them had that extended discussion about why it disengaged that completely convinced me.

Worryingly the driver said that it disengaged because the traffic in the adjacent lane cleared up. The car requires it to be hemmed in on both sides or it panics.

Yeah, the experienced test pilot heard that sound and immediately stopped his conversation to grab the wheel, like a knee-jerk. That seems to imply that he had some prior experience with that sound being correlated with something scary happening. Just like in your Tesla how the Hold Steering Wheel nag wouldn't make you react like that, but the collision alarm would.

Speaking of collision alarms, as the former owner of 2 Audis, that single BEEP chime in current cars is the Audi Pre-Sense alert tone (e.g. FCW). It's oddly polite and it's actually quieter than the "you left your headlights on" alert….

We do have two fundamental different approaches with regard to autonomous driving. They have been discussed in depth. Tesla is the only one without Lidar and a neural net data driven self learning approach. Although Waymo has as well data so its a bid more complex.

However Audi explained a while ago that they believe to be able to cover every major street situation by developing algorithm and coding for about 30-35 situations on streets. That was the moment when I almost stop reading and about to close the video I watched where an Audi Engineer explained their approach.

Short term by doing that you are able to bring faster a car on the road that can handle simple situations e.g. stop and go in a traffic jam. Thats the situation where they claim to be L3 which I question.

However as time passes by I believe that their approach won't develop further as street situations are quite complex and although you can follow rules many people just don't and your algorithms need to "learn" and "anticipate" this situations. Thats something as far as I know only Tesla is going after.

It takes way more time and is more complex and you make for years only small steps but you constant improvement. Its like learning driving a bicycle as a kid. Horrible at start but you constantly learn, adapt and adjust until perfection is almost there. A robot can learn cycle a bicycle but only to that extend that you program situations you define and describe in a controlled environment.

Reading today what just happens to Waymo I believe they experience the situation where their approach does prove to be unable to overcome this hurdles. So the development and improvement curve of this approach may flatten out.

'I hate them': Locals reportedly frustrated with Alphabet's self-driving cars

Reactions: zmarty

In the video Spidy posted above, it looks like if you don't take over within a certain amount of time after the bell rings (seemed to be at least 7 seconds), the car will slow down and stop. It doesn't instantly disengage.

In the video Spidy posted above, it looks like if you don't take over within a certain amount of time after the bell rings (seemed to be at least 7 seconds), the car will slow down and stop. It doesn't instantly disengage.

Yeah, I'm not convinced stopping the middle of the highway is the best way to handle that situation. At least with this system the traffic won't be moving too fast I suppose.