Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Model X with 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove 200 miles home today. Tried out AP as much as I could. I will say it is much more aware of the surrounding vehicles now, it can track cars ahead further around a curve and shows what direction a vehicle is facing. Stopping is earlier and smoother, same with lane change. My only gripe was when it disabled and locked me out of using it (happened once) my hand was on the wheel, I was focused on the road and my conversation, then there were two beeps and AP disengaged. I was so annoyed I pulled over and re-engaged it. Didn't happen again the rest of the way home. Reminders were about the same frequency as 7.1 for me, but I suppose that is b/c I'm always holding the wheel. I didn't try keeping my hands off for any length of time. Navigation was quirky, kept changing my route through country roads, I got tired of that and changed the nav app settings to only suggest a new route if it would save me 10+ minutes it was set to 5 by default. I felt like there was a bit more lag before I was getting my next turn announcement. I haven't done a reboot yet, that might help. I love the new speed of the fwds. I didn't notice a difference with regen, but I did notice that creep seemed a bit weaker? Rolled back a hair when on an incline after releasing the brake. I never had that happen before. So far so good. Enjoying the unlock as I walk up to the car, I can now walk straight to the charging port and disengage the plug without reaching for my fob or opening a door.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Can someone with v8.0 help me update my list. Pretty sure I do not want to download... just want to be clear

V8.0

Pros
sometimes better AP - either way with more restrictions
Faster FWD (x only)
Cooler charging UI

Cons
everything else?

Can someone with v8.0 help me update my list. Pretty sure I do not want to download... just want to be clear

V8.0

Pros
sometimes better AP - either way with more restrictions
Faster FWD (x only)
Cooler charging UI

Cons
everything else?
The increased safety of AP alone is a good enough reason to update. I am a heavy AP user and it felt more "aware" after moving to 8.0

Reactions: Yuri_G and wanaxnow
love the update, searching for music is easy to do now, and maps looks way better.
The increased safety of AP alone is a good enough reason to update. I am a heavy AP user and it felt more "aware" after moving to 8.0
Agreed.. Did 280 miles today and with heavy use of AP. I have to agree with the above statement. Does anyone know what happened to the shortcut that allowed you to jump to the list of superchargers and destination chargers out there? I can't seem to find it anymore on the maps (or under any other shortcut). I used to find that shortcut and list to be very handy.

BUT I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY REMOVED THE AUDIO SOURCE SCROLL! Why in the @$%# would they remove this from the right scroll? You can still do climate, contacts and everything else - but the ONE thing I actually used is gone. So, switching from one audio source to another is 2-3 clicks, minimum on the main screen as you go down the highway. BRING THIS BACK PLEASE.

The above is my only major gripe, so far, with the update. I used this feature everyday. It was my favorite shortcut. PLEASE do bring this back, Tesla!

My other issue is that I always keep the rear view camera open in the lower half of the screen. Previously, I could switch apps, as needed, and they would change my upper half view, but leave the lower half on the camera. This worked well for me. NOW, when I choose a new app, it seems to slide the previous app to the lower half, replacing my camera view. This necessitates many extra taps to return to the setup I prefer. Maybe I'm mistaken about what is happening. Have others noticed this?

Reactions: adamcb
My other issue is that I always keep the rear view camera open in the lower half of the screen. Previously, I could switch apps, as needed, and they would change my upper half view, but leave the lower half on the camera. This worked well for me. NOW, when I choose a new app, it seems to slide the previous app to the lower half, replacing my camera view. This necessitates many extra taps to return to the setup I prefer. Maybe I'm mistaken about what is happening. Have others noticed this?
My car is in service so I haven't been able to play with 8.0 yet, but I might have a possible solution for this problem. Instead of just touching the app icon, try dragging it to the area of the screen where you want it (top in your case). This "should" replace the current app with the selected app and not touch the bottom app. Let us know if this works. I hope to get my car back by Tuesday and I'll try it then.

The above is my only major gripe, so far, with the update. I used this feature everyday. It was my favorite shortcut. PLEASE do bring this back, Tesla!

There is a new function that works, drag and drop the camera into the lower segment.

Agreed.. Did 280 miles today and with heavy use of AP. I have to agree with the above statement. Does anyone know what happened to the shortcut that allowed you to jump to the list of superchargers and destination chargers out there? I can't seem to find it anymore on the maps (or under any other shortcut). I used to find that shortcut and list to be very handy.
There's a lightning bolt icon on the right side of the map. Right below the satellite and traffic view function. I think I saw a menu when I pushed it.

There's a lightning bolt icon on the right side of the map. Right below the satellite and traffic view function. I think I saw a menu when I pushed it.

This. It pops up a list on the lower left part of the map with superchargers at the top, then places you've charged at before, then destination chargers. Very handy, and much better than what I remember from 7.1.

PSA: a long press on the arrow buttons on the left side of the wheel cycles through your favorites across all sources.

This. It pops up a list on the lower left part of the map with superchargers at the top, then places you've charged at before, then destination chargers. Very handy, and much better than what I remember from 7.1.
No, much worse. It doesn't show all superchargers in order of distance from you. It only shows a few superchargers, I think based on the level of map zoom. I've seen as few as 1 supercharger listed there. The old way was better, with a charging tab on the navigation, along with recents and favorites, that listed everything. The car thinks it can predict what I want to see-- but it can't.

Reactions: X Fan
Hello all, I am in the camp with the "update failed" message that popped up on my phone and the car's screen with no action since.

This was Friday around lunch, and I am assuming at this point, that I can't re-initiate or pull the update again right? I am traveling this week and would have loved to use the new features/design. I have been parked at my residence connected to WiFi with the car plugged in since Friday evening.

Will my car check for the update again on its own, or is it a one-time shot?

They just set defaults for sides certain apps appear on it seems. You'll just have to get used to doing a long press on the app icon and dragging it to the top/bottom screen that shows up under your finger...

My X is less than 2 weeks old and I'm still learning. I use Tunein on my iPhone both at the gym and in my old BMW via bluetooth. With 7.1 I could not sign in with my Tunein account. 8.0 fixed that and I signed in on the first try.

Will be trying AP on Tuesday with a day trip to Newport Beach, about 160 miles RT on freeways.

Anyone have any tips for Autopark? I want to try that this week.

Systemcrashed--

Ok your endorsement made me select update tonight.

Hopefully USB music is tolerable.
Good luck! I spend a lot of time on highways with AP, the increased radar sensitivity and smoother acceleration and braking made it worth it for me. I dont have a huge music library on USB, so until Tesla adds a playlist feature for USB media I use is sparingly.

My X is less than 2 weeks old and I'm still learning. I use Tunein on my iPhone both at the gym and in my old BMW via bluetooth. With 7.1 I could not sign in with my Tunein account. 8.0 fixed that and I signed in on the first try.

Will be trying AP on Tuesday with a day trip to Newport Beach, about 160 miles RT on freeways.

Anyone have any tips for Autopark? I want to try that this week.
Watch it like a hawk - it's far from perfect. I prefer to park myself - faster too ;)

Good luck! I spend a lot of time on highways with AP, the increased radar sensitivity and smoother acceleration and braking made it worth it for me. I dont have a huge music library on USB, so until Tesla adds a playlist feature for USB media I use is sparingly.
Here's an idea for folks with USB music: upload it to Google music and stream from your phone - that interface is pretty robust in the car.