Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Model X with 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats a good idea for extra large libraries. Although, Bluetooth audio quality is not as good. If you donr have the Hi-Def sound system you probably won't notice it.
That used to be the case, but with the latest BT protocols and higher bit rates I can barely notice the difference. And yes my peasant ears are just fine with the standard audio so take my opinions with a shaker-full of salt :p

Last edited:
They just set defaults for sides certain apps appear on it seems. You'll just have to get used to doing a long press on the app icon and dragging it to the top/bottom screen that shows up under your finger...

Thanks, all, for the advice on dragging the apps to the desired location on the screen. That, does help a bit. It still does require extra effort and significantly more attention paid to the screen while driving. I can't believe I am the only one who likes to always have a specific app in one place, while exchanging the apps in the other location. I remember many people posting about liking to leave the camera app active at all times to supplement the rearview mirror.

I also found a bug in the media player. When listening to a radio station (FM or XM), if you select a favorite from the Favorites scroll that is not a radio station (i.e. a streaming station or Tune-In station), the radio app stays selected. The system seems to think you are still listening to a radio station. It switches to showing only favorites and "top hits" icons, instead of the station selector controls. Because you are not actually listening to the radio anymore, you cannot get back to radio controls by touching the "now playing" info at the bottom of the player. Thus, if you would like to return to listening to a radio station, you cannot do it unless you have a radio station in your Favorites list, in which case you have to choose the favorited station, then you can get back to the radio controls and choose a new station. If you didn't have a radio station on your favorites, I'm not sure how you could return to radio controls. Touching the radio tab at the top doesn't do it, despite what it says in the update description.

Sorry if that isn't very clear. You might have to try it to see what I'm trying to describe. Again, still having the source scroll on the steering wheel would likely alleviate this problem. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

My 2c after driving to Vegas with 7.1 and back with 8.0.

I really really enjoy the new Podcast search feature. I could never get podcast streaming to work in 7.1 and before.

Autopilot was ridiculously good. It worked great through roadworks as well as in Nevada where there are only Botts Dots (and no other lane markings. I usually drive with my hand resting on the wheel, and maybe got the nag 3 times on the whole trip. The white flashing border is really good too, way easier to notice than the stupid pop up at the bottom.

Overall very happy with the update. Looking forward to the future with 8.1 and beyond.

Thanks, all, for the advice on dragging the apps to the desired location on the screen. That, does help a bit. It still does require extra effort and significantly more attention paid to the screen while driving. I can't believe I am the only one who likes to always have a specific app in one place, while exchanging the apps in the other location. I remember many people posting about liking to leave the camera app active at all times to supplement the rearview mirror.
I have found the opposite. I like to keep the camera open all the time, and with 7.1 put it in the bottom so that opening other apps would leave it alone. I didn't like it cause if my wife was playing with the music app, she blocked my view of the camera. Now I leave the camera on top, because it works how I wish it worked when I first got the car. Just have to retrain myself on the preferred location for it.

I updated to 8.0 overnight on Friday and drove to the USC vs Colorado game on Saturday...and did not experience any issues. I'm loving how autopilot manages stop-and-go traffic on the freeway, though I didn't like how it swerved when a car tried to squeeze in front of me.

I didn't really experience any issues with 7.1 (I haven't had my X that long either), so I can't really say I've noticed any significant difference to its behavior in 8.0. I do like the UI changes and definitely prefer the media player now...but didn't try playing media from my phone. The Falcon Wing door behavior, while quicker, seems a bit more conservative (i.e. doesn't open as much as it did before in my small garage). Even the front doors seem to stop shorter.

I prefer having the camera on top, but like how the buttons go away when the nav map is there...so I'm tempted to push the camera to the bottom window when I'm navigating in unknown territory (as I did when I left the Coliseum and proceeded on surface streets through South Los Angeles).

Since updating I know longer see traffic condition highlights on the roads. Do I have to do something to bring that feature back? Between that and the loss of letters to pick through the huge number of artists on my USB stick, 8.0 hasn't been much of an improvement for me.

Since updating I know longer see traffic condition highlights on the roads. Do I have to do something to bring that feature back? Between that and the loss of letters to pick through the huge number of artists on my USB stick, 8.0 hasn't been much of an improvement for me.

There's a button on the lower right side of the navigation screen that toggles the traffic condition highlights, right above the one for charging locations.

The buttons all disappear when the screen enlarges to take over the button bar, so you might have to tap the map to get them to show up first.

Finally able to install (car was in service for a faulty middle row seat). Overall I'm very happy with the changes.

As many others have gone into great detail on the autopilot I'll just say that it's an improvement for me.

I'm going to have to play with the media player more before I can fully understand the changes, but since I mostly just played radio or my phone, it's not a big deal either way.

The biggest improvement for me is the auto front door. It now behaves well enough that I'll finally be able to keep the option turned on. The changes appear to be:
  1. The door doesn't open until you get very close. Before it would start to open when approaching from the rear at about the rear bumper. Now it waits until you're about 2 ft away.
  2. The door doesn't close until you are ~15 feet away. With this and #1, the door doesn't keep opening and closing as you try to move around the car.
  3. Once the door is closed it won't try to open again until a delay has occurred (I forget the amount of time the change log reported).
I haven't experienced any of the faults yet (knock on wood!) but I didn't install until last night so I may have a later version than some (2.40.21).

• Informative
Reactions: SSD420
I've had two new experiences with 8.0 yesterday, one good and one not so good.
First the good, AP recognized a cyclist on the road ahead of me coming around a bend! I drive with both hands on that particular stretch of road but I like to keep AP active. The car in front of me was blocking view of the cyclist, as i turned through the curve I saw a red bicycle on my IC and a warning chimed, very cool.

The not-so-nice experience was while I was sitting at a stoplight I started to smell the exhaust fumes of the surrounding cars (I keep recycled air on always). I looked at my A/C settings and recycle was still lit, but there was a notice that something was "limited by fan speed", I tried to override all the auto settings but was still getting outside air. Finally I had to turn on BWD to get rid of the fumes in the car. Of all the media and USB complaints, this is much more of an issue for me. I think the algorithm for air flow and temp control could use some work. If the temp is set to 68 and the compressor is on and ambient air is cool enough to where the cabin might become a little cooler than the selected temperature (especially if fan speed is not set to auto) the car is now mixing in outside air to adjust the cabin air temp. (this is easily fixed by letting us turn this feature off).

I've had two new experiences with 8.0 yesterday, one good and one not so good.
First the good, AP recognized a cyclist on the road ahead of me coming around a bend! I drive with both hands on that particular stretch of road but I like to keep AP active. The car in front of me was blocking view of the cyclist, as i turned through the curve I saw a red bicycle on my IC and a warning chimed, very cool.

The not-so-nice experience was while I was sitting at a stoplight I started to smell the exhaust fumes of the surrounding cars (I keep recycled air on always). I looked at my A/C settings and recycle was still lit, but there was a notice that something was "limited by fan speed", I tried to override all the auto settings but was still getting outside air. Finally I had to turn on BWD to get rid of the fumes in the car. Of all the media and USB complaints, this is much more of an issue for me. I think the algorithm for air flow and temp control could use some work. If the temp is set to 68 and the compressor is on and ambient air is cool enough to where the cabin might become a little cooler than the selected temperature (especially if fan speed is not set to auto) the car is now mixing in outside air to adjust the cabin air temp. (this is easily fixed by letting us turn this feature off).

Someone pointed out in another thread that the lowest fan speed allowed in recirculation mode is 4 under 8.0.

I think that's tied to the improvement that claimed to make the air output equal for a given fan speed regardless of climate settings - which makes me wonder if the new recirculate "4" is actually the old recirculate "1" relabelled based on airflow.

Someone pointed out in another thread that the lowest fan speed allowed in recirculation mode is 4 under 8.0.

I think that's tied to the improvement that claimed to make the air output equal for a given fan speed regardless of climate settings - which makes me wonder if the new recirculate "4" is actually the old recirculate "1" relabelled based on airflow.
If this is the case, we still dont jave a way to turn this feature off. There should be an override to recycle the air in any case. Most cars have the ability to manually select recycle. This was how it operated in 7.1, now the system is mixing in outside air for some reason.

If this is the case, we still dont jave a way to turn this feature off. There should be an override to recycle the air in any case. Most cars have the ability to manually select recycle. This was how it operated in 7.1, now the system is mixing in outside air for some reason.

If my guess is right about what's happening, and recirculate "1" no longer exists as a result, what Tesla should probably do is force the fan speed to "4" and switch to recirculate when you select the manual recirculation with a lower fan speed manually set.

Either that or renumber so that "4" is the new one for all flow settings, or if the hardware allows it define some new lower fan speeds to create a recirculate "1" again.

If my guess is right about what's happening, and recirculate "1" no longer exists as a result, what Tesla should probably do is force the fan speed to "4" and switch to recirculate when you select the manual recirculation with a lower fan speed manually set.

Either that or renumber so that "4" is the new one for all flow settings, or if the hardware allows it define some new lower fan speeds to create a recirculate "1" again.
Once I noticed outside air was being pushed in I changed the fan speed, went all the way up, still got outside air. I think it is more temperature dependent. I'm hoping this was just an oversight, I would hate to lose the force recycled air feature. Sitting in traffic has now become even less tolerable.

I'm sad that after this long wait for 8.0, I still haven't gotten to experience it. SC still has my MX :(. I've been stuck in a rental ICE vehicle for about a week now.
You may be one of the few that has not upgraded but with all the noise, you may be better off. Since you cannot go backwards I would count this as a blessing.;)

Reactions: SSD420