Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First multi-coat Red confirmation or delivery - who will it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

xhawk101

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2012
Saint Petersburg fl
Now that we are approaching delivery of the first 60 kwh model s for those of us awaiting the new red this maybe the last hold out until the 40 kilowatt.

60 kwh multi coat red air suspension #5810 here

Come on lets see the new red!

Last edited:
@xhawk
I'm with you...."Lets see the new Red!"
It would be great if we could get a report from those taking a Factory Tour, when they first see the new red on the production line. I'm guessing that it will not be in production until March (but hoping for February).

(P: 14291) Finalized
Model S performance , 85 kWh, multi-coat red, Gray 21", pano, tech, studio sound, air, black Napa leather/alcantara with red piping, twin charger, Paint armor, HPWC. estimated delivery April-May 2013.
is this correct? it seems there are a lot of multi coat red ordered before me.
Any ideas what's a realistic delivery window?

I waited to finalize until the first day RED was available (Dec 1 for me). At CES last week, I had the opportunity to go by the Nvidia booth (were the TESLA and several reps were) several times during the 4 day event. The Tesla personnel were all sales, and said they had been told no new info on availability (still March - April) but they did say:

1). The new multicoat RED has been 'tuned', and the results are 'beautiful - you will NOT be disappointed'.
2). All NA Signatures have been completed, so that is no longer a gating item.

I also don't remember going by without seeing other owners 'hovering'. Most frequent this forum. If the extra time is being spent making sure the long term fade and peel resistance is up to TESLA standards, the wait is probably a good investment for all of us.

Order 10,307 here. I finalized my 85kW, Multi-Coat Red w/ Pano roof, Shocks & Sound on December 17th. I also got the April/May timeline, i think most people are getting that. I'd wager their ability to meet that timeline for all the reds depends on how much of a backlog they've got. I still haven't heard anything though. Solar cells are going up this month though, can't wait to have my sun-powered Tesla!

Order 10,307 here. I finalized my 85kW, Multi-Coat Red w/ Pano roof, Shocks & Sound on December 17th. I also got the April/May timeline, i think most people are getting that. I'd wager their ability to meet that timeline for all the reds depends on how much of a backlog they've got. I still haven't heard anything though. Solar cells are going up this month though, can't wait to have my sun-powered Tesla!

That's great Bperry. I should be getting my PV install just in time too!

Elon was whetting our appetite today on the shareholder call..."It's a really great color".....

Dan Galves - Deutsche Bank
Okay. Great. And one other one on, how much in terms of deferrals are you experiencing as you go through your reservation book. And just wondering like how many people are really looking for U.S. leasing option and if you could provide us any update on the likelihood of the U.S. lease this year, that would be great. Thanks.

Elon Musk - Chairman, CEO and Chief Product Architect
Yeah. Well, we do see some deferrals taking place because there is a red color coming out which is actually a really great color. I have to admit it’s a really great color. We spent a lot of time on the red but I’m not suggesting any one delay that order but it is an awesome red. So we got lot of interest in that. There is a segment of people that don’t want the air springs even -- I think that’s actually, I mean, people should really, it’s worth getting but some people don’t want to get it.

And so there is a little bit of deferral on that but we’re not really seeing deferral. It first needs to focus. Certain options aren’t available right now as opposed to other reasons really. And then sorry, what’s the second question.

Nice to hear something about the "red" on the call.

Based on the earnings call, they want to focus on efficiencies and they have a lot of demand. Adding the red color to the production mix is probably not top of their mind and might distract them from gaining efficiencies. I suspect that to hit their Q1 numbers and profitability, they might start the reds only in April and we should see earliest deliveries mid April or so. Also since the "red" is the most expensive paint revenue wise, they are not going to delay it further. That is my guess.

I also worry about corners that they are going to cut to increase profitability over time... if it also includes cheaper parts etc. Anyway hopefully they don't reduce the quality of the product by April/May.

Nice to hear something about the "red" on the call.

Based on the earnings call, they want to focus on efficiencies and they have a lot of demand. Adding the red color to the production mix is probably not top of their mind and might distract them from gaining efficiencies. I suspect that to hit their Q1 numbers and profitability, they might start the reds only in April and we should see earliest deliveries mid April or so. Also since the "red" is the most expensive paint revenue wise, they are not going to delay it further. That is my guess.

I also worry about corners that they are going to cut to increase profitability over time... if it also includes cheaper parts etc. Anyway hopefully they don't reduce the quality of the product by April/May.

You could be right but I don't think so based on....

1). Several of us have been told consistently by the factory team that production would start in March - but no indication of early or late.
2). The changeover to Red has been planned from the beginning, and is a one time switch that should not represent a significant efficiency hit.
3). The big push is not just efficiency, but profitability - red represents $1500 of high margin revenue per car.
4). The 'untapped potential' of the current reservation list consists of either red, 40kWh, or non air suspension. Elon noted that both of the last two items are a very small percent. That would seem to indicate that red represents the majority of the 'not yet buildable' US pipeline.

In the mean time, we wait..... and speculate.

You could be right but I don't think so based on....

1). Several of us have been told consistently by the factory team that production would start in March - but no indication of early or late.
2). The changeover to Red has been planned from the beginning, and is a one time switch that should not represent a significant efficiency hit.
3). The big push is not just efficiency, but profitability - red represents $1500 of high margin revenue per car.
4). The 'untapped potential' of the current reservation list consists of either red, 40kWh, or non air suspension. Elon noted that both of the last two items are a very small percent. That would seem to indicate that red represents the majority of the 'not yet buildable' US pipeline.

In the mean time, we wait..... and speculate.

And the waiting seems to be getting more difficult, as we see Model S deliveries to those who ordered in December and even January. But, each day is one day closer.