Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in your MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I'm wondering if I should invest in a CHAdeMO adapter. Where would these come useful while traveling?
If the Superchargers exist for your road trips, there may be no need for the CHAdeMO. Planning a trip in advance will help answer the question.

I used it in Albuquerque and OKC in 2015. Now the Superchargers exist in those cities.

It could be very convenient in Seattle, WA since the Superchargers are located away from the city center.

UPDATE: A topic has been posted that the CHAdeMO adapter is sold out: CHAdeMO adapter sold out. New adapter coming?

Last edited:
Reactions: xkwizit
Here's a handy spreadsheet that I've made and been using to know the exact distances between all of the SuperChargers that I would encounter on my normal trips.
Tesla SuperCharger Location Distances Calculator

I know the EV Trip Planner and others exist but I like seeing the exact miles between lots of different superchargers and making the decision of how much SOC I'll need and which SCs I should stop at along the way.

Here's a handy spreadsheet that I've made and been using to know the exact distances between all of the SuperChargers that I would encounter on my normal trips.
Tesla SuperCharger Location Distances Calculator

I know the EV Trip Planner and others exist but I like seeing the exact miles between lots of different superchargers and making the decision of how much SOC I'll need and which SCs I should stop at along the way.
I think EV Trip Planner let's you download the trip plan into excel and has miles and other data in it. But I like your simple and intuitive spread sheet.

Reactions: loganintx
We went from Eugene, OR to Victoria, BC. There's a thread in the Canada section about charging in BC. We took the Subercharger route on the way up and it was fantastic. There's a 70amp charger in Port Angeles and the ferry ride is relatively short. The other option is to drive all the way to Anacortes and take the ferry through the San Juans. That's the prettier trip but we went with three little kids and speed was of the essence.

Autopilot makes the trip easy.

Any idea where you'll be staying in Victoria?

We went from Eugene, OR to Victoria, BC. There's a thread in the Canada section about charging in BC. We took the Subercharger route on the way up and it was fantastic. There's a 70amp charger in Port Angeles and the ferry ride is relatively short. The other option is to drive all the way to Anacortes and take the ferry through the San Juans. That's the prettier trip but we went with three little kids and speed was of the essence.

Autopilot makes the trip easy.

Any idea where you'll be staying in Victoria?
We are thinking about riding the morning ferry from Anacortes and spend the previous night I believe it's the Fairfield Inn that is next to Burlington SC. And in Victoria, we plan to stay at the Chateau as they said they have destination charger.

Thanks for the tip on reading up the Canada section for charging in BC.

We are thinking about riding the morning ferry from Anacortes and spend the previous night I believe it's the Fairfield Inn that is next to Burlington SC. And in Victoria, we plan to stay at the Chateau as they said they have destination charger.

Thanks for the tip on reading up the Canada section for charging in BC.

Victoria is fantastic. Lots of great places to eat and a great city to walk around. Enjoy it!

I am making a roundtrip drive from Denver to Dallas and further east into east Texas on Mother's Day weekend. (Week after next for non-US readers). I've had friends make the trek in Model S's over the last year and have told me it is easy to do with superchargers, though one has to go non-SC once in the Dallas area. I will let you know how it goes.

Our plan is to go to Multnomah Falls from Seattle. EVTripplanner estimated 3hrs of drive with about 0.5hr supercharging. Then we spend couple of nights at the Skamania Lodge which has a destination charger.

And I agree with you. I also don't understand why there are no superchargers in SF or Seattle downtown. They can limit the use to 45min per vehicle. But yeah I agree, lack of superchargers in major downtown areas is a bummer.
There are all sorts of really great falls in the park. A few need a bit of hiking. There is two upper and one lower Multnomah Falls and be sure to get a picture of the Tesla at Vista Point. The building is cool and the view up river is to die for.

Almost home from a round trip Chicago to Orlando with a stop in Michigan on the way back. We had an issue with a supercharger in Knoxville (it wasn't working). My original post is here: Knoxville Supercharger Not Working
You may want to get this Chademo adapter that I keep hearing about. We learned a lot from our trip. Don't drive over 75 and keep your average wh/mi at 450 or below. In Michigan we left our car to charge at a chargepoint overnight.

• Informative
Almost home from a round trip Chicago to Orlando with a stop in Michigan on the way back. We had an issue with a supercharger in Knoxville (it wasn't working). My original post is here: Knoxville Supercharger Not Working
You may want to get this Chademo adapter that I keep hearing about. We learned a lot from our trip. Don't drive over 75 and keep your average wh/mi at 450 or below. In Michigan we left our car to charge at a chargepoint overnight.
Thank you Dalia. I read the entire thread on Knoxville charger and I am getting more firm in my mind about getting the CHAdeMO adapter.

Also, from the trips in our MS thus far, I have learnt that speed, temperature and headwinds make a huge difference to the Wh/mile. Did you use the trip planner on the MX? I find it to be pretty useful in knowing how good/bad I am doing.

I think in couple of threads I have read thus far, the recommended method is to charge about 20% more than what the car tells you is needed to reach the next SC or destination and not wait for the slow drip to charge up to 100%. The SCs definitely start slowing down when the charge is about 50%.

Reactions: engle and Dalia
Our plan is to go to Multnomah Falls from Seattle. EVTripplanner estimated 3hrs of drive with about 0.5hr supercharging. Then we spend couple of nights at the Skamania Lodge which has a destination charger.

And I agree with you. I also don't understand why there are no superchargers in SF or Seattle downtown. They can limit the use to 45min per vehicle. But yeah I agree, lack of superchargers in major downtown areas is a bummer.
In New York City many parking garages have EV chargers. Yes you have to pay but its available. Does anyone know if that's the case in other cities?

• Informative
Lumberton Supercharger.JPG
Just completed a 3,00+ mile trip from Central PA to Key West and return. We used nothing but superchargers

At Charleston Place.jpg

and destination charging. The valets here at Charleston Place presented us with a fully charged car each morning.

FarmerDave: Nice pictures and I assume your trip was fairly problem free? Did those valets wash your car every night too? It looks gorgeous.
The trip was problem free. We were having some difficulty with the charge port door before we left, but we could deal with it. Dropped the car off at the Service Center on the return leg to get the charge port door replaced.

Pictures are funny... look closely at the car in the Charleston Place photo and you'll see a yellow tint on the hood. The State's trees decided to release their pollen the day before. I never thought to ask the valets for a wash - had to drive a dirty car until Key West where I found a detailer to do it.:)
P1020630.JPG