Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First roadtrip with X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are on our first road trip with the Model X. The car is a pleasure on a long drive. The 6 seat config really comes into its own on a trip an the kids loved hanging out back there. Although I miss The 22" rims every time I look at the car, I really appreciated the ride quality on this trip (and the range). Have never felt less fatigue (ok its only a short trip to Canberra).

However, I am pretty disappointed in the AP (2.0). When available and operating, I would say it is doing better than before, but it is still not close to the performance of the AP1 cars I have driven. Furthermore, south of Bowral on the Hume and all the way to Canberra, autosteer was unavailable. The greyed out steering wheel vanished and when I tried to engage I get message saying "autosteer is not available on this road.". Has anyone else experienced this? I am worried my AP may have packed it in. I restarted the car several times and the problem persisted.

And, newbie question: we pulled into the supercharger in Goulburn and it was empty. Started charging and it quickly went up to 112kW at 488 km/h per hour. But, 15 mins later than rate had dropped to about 65kW (there was another car charging when I returned so this may have been part fo the reason - though he was several bays always (the battery had a sufficiently low soc that I don't think the charger was tapering... )). So, my questions: I pulled into bay "4B". Are the "A" bays any faster (I thought I might have read something to that effect)? And, is that max rate of 488/ 112kW about what I should expect from an empty supercharger station?

Lastly, we are staying at the Hotel Kurrajong in Canberra - which we chose for its two 22kW HPWCs. But, you guessed it, they are both ICE'd. Grrrr...

Thanks much

JD

However, I am pretty disappointed in the AP (2.0). When available and operating, I would say it is doing better than before, but it is still not close to the performance of the AP1 cars I have driven. Furthermore, south of Bowral on the Hume and all the way to Canberra, autosteer was unavailable. The greyed out steering wheel vanished and when I tried to engage I get message saying "autosteer is not available on this road.". Has anyone else experienced this? I am worried my AP may have packed it in. I restarted the car several times and the problem persisted.

I can't comment on the parity question with AP1 as I didn't drive an AP1 car for long enough, but what you describe matches what I have experienced. I have got the same message on random roads that really seem like autosteer should have been available. I wondered if the car was still "calibrating". I have just done Sydney to Bowral and return in my X on the trip to Bowral autosteer wasn't available above 80km/hr but pretty much all the way home it was available at 115km/hr

Quick update: autosteer became available again on the Hume heading north, just where I had lost it on the way down. About 10km south of Bowral where the road (temporarily) expands to three lanes, the auto steer icon reappeared as if by magic. Remained available all the way back to Sydney (including on the two lane stretches). I guess Tesla has decided it doesn't have enough data from AP2 cars traveling further south to have confidence in autosteer.

One issue I had when using autosteer is that the system had a lot of trouble recognising that I was holding the steering wheel. I would get the warning and flashing lights and I really had to squeeze the wheel to get it to acknowledge. And on two occasions it completely failed to sense my hands and disengaged AP and then barred autosteer until I reengaged park.

Oh, and, the air conditioner completely failed. Compressor had been making noise then it just gave up. Was a long trip back with no a/c.

The are some stretches past Bowral where even AP1 has trouble. The road crests sharply and the camera is pointing too high to see the road. Maybe that's why your AP2 system just vetoed the whole leg?

As for charge speed at Goulburn, I had an issue charging there a few weeks ago. Started charging at 92kW (SOC 20%). I went to get dinner and as soon as I ordered checked app and charge rate was 23kW. Annoyingly I couldn't leave restaurant and by the time I got back to car it was only about 45% charged. I moved to a different bay and got full speed. Note: I also tried restarting charging from the app but it kept returning to 23kW.
The Sydney SC guys told me it was a fault with the charger that was already scheduled to be fixed.

As for the ICE'd destination chargers, I hope you got the hotel to get the ICErs to move.
Try the line "the charger is the only reason I chose to stay at this dump".

Shock - thanks for the tip on the chargers at GLB. A pity they don't have a way of letting you know. Just my luck I picked the dud out of all the other available ones.

And yes, with the hotel I said something very close to that and yes they eventually sorted it out. Even coned off the area when we were out for the day. They were actually quite good about it after the initial problem.