TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First S85D sighting

Discussion in 'Model S' started by blaz, Jan 4, 2015.

1. blaz

blaz Member

Not sure if this is the first sighting of a production S85D in the wild, but right now there's a newly-built white S85D at the Hawthorne supercharger:

image.jpg

The VIN is 5YJSA1H20EFP68286. That seems to decode to an 85D. Probably good news for folks waiting for the first 85D deliveries.

Also next to this car there's a regular 85 and a red P85D that seems to belong to a very special someone:

image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Just goes to show EM is not above anyone else when it comes to getting the next gen seats.

3. Durkle

Durkle New Member

4. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

In the P85D tracking thread someone took pictures of these and noted that they had just two seats in the back with a console between them. You can't see the console in the pictures posted, but you can see just two back seats: Tracking P85D delivery thread - Page 405

5. bsbomber

bsbomber Member

I was told that a red P85D was headed to Denver to be a test drive vehicle.....but Elon wanted it for himself. It fits the description perfectly. Hey, I wanted to test that red Rocket!!!

6. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

This is not unexpected. Before P85D reveal we were going through vehicle codes and found NHTSA VIN codes that list a code for two seats in the back.

7. Yoda101

Yoda101 EM and TM Model3 Fan

There were some discussion of rich Chinese customers requiring 2 back seats as they will be chauffeured most of the time.

8. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I bet the two back seats are for Chinese deliveries.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Made me smile a bit. I don't know the guy, but based on what I've read this seems "in character" to me. "Give me what everyone else is getting."

10. Andyw2100

That may be his normal character, but it seems like if that is his car, this time he is getting something different. He has two back seats, with a console between them.

11. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I find it interesting that this car has a higher sequence number than my 85D order (67071) and also still sports a 2014 VIN. Yes I know they don't make cars in VIN sequence number order.

If this car has the 2 bucket back seats instead of the bench it also has an incorrect VIN. The 1 in the VIN should be a 3 for that. So I'd guess they put a different rear seat setup just for the car show than what the car was built with.

The most current up to date VIN decoding that Tesla has filed with NHTSA can be found here:
    ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG9130.pdf

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

They're new, but clearly have been in the pipeline for awhile. I thought we had Asian deliveries in this configuration already. There's even a VIN coding for them.

13. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I wonder why Tesla doesn't offer the two-rear-seats-with-center-console as an option for NA and European builds? I imagine they'd have some takers. Me, for instance. :wink:

14. JST

JST Active Member

There are pictures of the white 85D in several different threads but no one managed to grab a pic of the rear console?

15. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

If they're offering it it's something they're clearly doing on a case by case basis. Since it's not on the Chinese order form:
    Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

16. Andyw2100

Tesla could have also offered (or still could offer) this option to P85D owners who didn't get the Next Generation seats they ordered.