Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time riding in a Waymo Driverless van

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marketing stunt from Nov 2019. Is the video taker associated with Waymo? My bet is yes.

This should be a stark reminder that there is only one company in the world that can do this.
A stark reminder that only one company is doing regular marketing stunts.
I'll make this more blunt: only one company is regularly lying to the public.
Did you notice the Waymo princess dialog? Suggests strongly to me a Waymo employee. The Waymo lie: We are regular doing marketing stunts, to fool the public into thinking these are regular people getting driverless rides.

Last edited:
being a mtn view resident, I see the waymo vans ALL the time around here. day and night, they are omnipresent.

I don't know if all of them are 'hands off' (hard to see the people in them, sometimes) but the cars are very smooth and seem to follow the road rules well. when I'm behind one, it does not seem to do 'tesla things' (braking, odd steering, etc).

I'm not a fan of google, not by any means; but waymo does seem to be a leader in this tech.

Marketing stunt from Nov 2019. Is the video taker associated with Waymo? My bet is yes.

Did you notice the Waymo princess dialog? Suggests strongly to me a Waymo employee. The Waymo lie: We are regular doing marketing stunts, to fool the public into thinking these are regular people getting driverless rides.

Wow. Conspiracy theory much? Even if this is a Waymo employee, there's still nobody in the driver seat. Are you suggesting this is faked with some kind of remote control, or hidden driver?

I'm rooting for Tesla, because I have a Tesla, and will never own a Waymo. But seriously, give credit where credit is due. Tesla may get nationwide FSD before Waymo does if their generalized strategy works out, but denying demonstrable progress by non-Tesla companies seems irrational to me.

Wow. Conspiracy theory much? Even if this is a Waymo employee, there's still nobody in the driver seat. Are you suggesting this is faked with some kind of remote control, or hidden driver?

I'm rooting for Tesla, because I have a Tesla, and will never own a Waymo. But seriously, give credit where credit is due. Tesla may get nationwide FSD before Waymo does if their generalized strategy works out, but denying demonstrable progress by non-Tesla companies seems irrational to me.
You obviously didn't read very well. Here is the last sentence again:
... The Waymo lie: We are regular doing marketing stunts, to fool the public into thinking these are regular people getting driverless rides.

Where is the Waymo lie? Where is the marketing stunt? Even if it is a Waymo employee in the backseat which you have no evidence for, the ride is still driverless. The video is not faking the autonomous driving part. And you can't fake 20M autonomous miles.

Let me remind you what a marketing stunt looks like:

You obviously didn't read very well. Let me requote my last sentence:

According to Waymo's own report to the California Public Utilities Commission, they transported 6,299 passengers in the first month alone. So did Waymo lie then to this Commission? Where all those passengers Waymo employees?

"Waymo transported 6,299 passengers in self-driving Chrysler Pacifica minivans in its first month participating in a robotaxi pilot program in California, according to a quarterly report the company filed with the California Public Utilities Commission.

In all, the company completed 4,678 passenger trips in July — plus another 12 trips for educational purposes. It’s a noteworthy figure for an inaugural effort that pencils out to an average of 156 trips every day that month. And it demonstrates that Waymo has the resources, staff and vehicles to operate a self-driving vehicle pilot while continuing to test its technology in multiple cities and ramp up its Waymo One ride-hailing service in Arizona."

Waymo’s robotaxi pilot surpassed 6,200 riders in its first month in California – TechCrunch

So yes, there are a lot of regular people riding in Waymo robotaxis. I don't agree with you that it is a lie.

According to Waymo's own report to the California Public Utilities Commission, they transported 6,299 passengers in the first month alone. So did Waymo lie ...?
You won't find a single video from California with a waymo driverless, no employee in the car. These are taxi rides with not one but two employees or contractors in the car.
So yes, there are a lot of regular people riding in Waymo robotaxis. I don't agree with you that it is a lie.
Riding expensive taxis with paid safety driver in the car, yes. Without an employee in the car, no. Hopefully I'll be proven false in the future. Would love for Waymo to be successful, but I know they are losing nearly a billion dollars each quarter. Google funding is drying up and they need to drum up external funding for continued operations. I'm impressed with the technology, but the long tail is very long and I have first hand accounts that Waymo is unwilling to spill blood. I don't see how they can be successful unwilling to spill blood, with an infinitely long tail.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
Correct. That pilot program is in Arizona, not California. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Nice enthusiasm. It does exist in tiny quantities to fool the foolish. These are what I call marketing stunts.
Lets see when we get regular videos from unaffiliated third parties in the car of difficult left hand turns, congested lane merges without an affiliated person in the car.

Last edited:
Nice enthusiasm. It does exist in tiny quantities to fool the foolish. These are what I call marketing stunts.
Lets see when we get regular videos from unaffiliated third parties in the car of difficult left hand turns, congested lane merges without an affiliated person in the car.

Ok, here are two videos by unaffiliated 3rd parties:

Ok, here are two videos by unaffiliated 3rd parties:
Videos for the media from last year. Definitely fits the category of irregular. I'll have to add to my statement, unaffiliated and non marketing stunts for media sites, like the verge and forbes. Let us know when everyone works for them, then we can all ride driverless, yeah right. Oh yeah, they also make fools of believers with sport stars.