Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a video of ICE cars burning after the Japanese Tsunami: [video]http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=240033#p240033[/video]

So, it apparently does happen to "normal" cars as well.

Infinitis after flooding
destroyed_cars_japan.top.jpg

Would be nice if pure EVs did not do this

Aren't all cars that get submerged in water declared a total loss and generally considered unsalvageable? In these situations, whether they caught on fire or not, from an insurance perspective it is a mood point.
Yes. And the fire may have nothing to do with the EV specific components. It's just some seriously bad luck for Fisker, though. When are they not in damage control?

It would be curious to know how long they were submerged, was it a total submersion, etc. I could see a problem with your car sliding off the road into the water, it'd be nice to know that you didn't have to worry about explosions in that case, though I can see a problem for any Li battery then.

Only if you're a dealer...

The manufacturer has already made it's cash.
I'm not in the industry but I had heard that most dealerships don't pay for the cars until they sell them. The factory "loans" them the cars at a super-low interest rate and the dealer pays off the "loan" when the car is sold. Also, I would assume the have insurance for such things - especially after Irene last year, it's not like they didn't have a heads-up.

I'm not in the industry but I had heard that most dealerships don't pay for the cars until they sell them. The factory "loans" them the cars at a super-low interest rate and the dealer pays off the "loan" when the car is sold. Also, I would assume the have insurance for such things - especially after Irene last year, it's not like they didn't have a heads-up.

With more information in, it seems as though Fisker may be on the hook, as the cars caught fire at the dock, prior to being delivered to dealerships.

@Strider, you're right that insurance will pay for the cars, whether they are a dealer's loss or a Fisker loss. As far as dealership acquisition of new cars goes, it depends on whether Fisker finances the sell of the new units to each franchised dealer or not. In essence, the dealership either pays full sale price (wholesale) to OEM upfront, or finances the sale through a special financing division of the OEM. They must pay a finance charge and payment to the dealership, and receive incentives for paying the loan early as bundled in dealer hold back. It's why dealerships must sell their inventory early or risk losing money daily as the cars sit on lots. The OEM gets its money no matter what. Either insurance or the dealer will pay them if the fires happen on the dealership's watch.

We're viewing not only a failure in design, but a failure of their logistics crew to exercise common sense in the face on an oncoming hurricane.

Same failure of the taxi company that left behind a hundred or so taxis to get flooded, I'm sure you've seen the picture. Same as the lot of school buses that weren't moved out of the way of Katrina.

Some people are apparently too naive or lazy to bother ensuring the safety of moveable assets.