Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker ocean - UK forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A cash purchase is a general widely used term for a purchase that does not use finance.

So buying something with funds from a bank is still deemed a cash purchase even if it does not get paid in £ notes and penny coins.

Say you were a cash purchaser for a house, a solicitor would still want proof that you had the funds and potentially where it came from, but that would involve things like looking at bank statements rather than physically counting the cash. But it’s still a cash purchase.

This is quite different to going to a trade person and offering to pay cash, off the books, maybe to save VAT and paperwork.
I do understand that the term 'cash' is used for direct or non-financed purchases, but I said in my original post that I was referring to paper money or even coins not being accepted - meaning that part of the transaction may have been paid on a credit card with partial finance (even if both were paid off straight away) giving potential for some level of comeback via the CC provider. All are possibles of course, as there are many different methods and combinations that can be utilised when purchasing a vehicle. If the ultimate cost of the item is over £30k then Section 75 doesn't apply and if it's over £60k then neither does Section 75a and the consumer would need to try alternative routes such as small claims court or initiating a chargeback.

Yes that’s what I had thought as well, you then go after the finance company if can’t resolve with who you purchased from or they’ve gone out of business, what I had meant is if you put a deposit on credit card and then pay balance in cash (by cash I mean a bank transfer) it won’t apply
I think if there is any finance on the vehicle still remaining then the first port of call is the finance company. If that has been paid off then it's the credit card provider via 75a, even if the card balance has also been paid off.

I think if there is any finance on the vehicle still remaining then the first port of call is the finance company. If that has been paid off then it's the credit card provider via 75a, even if the card balance has also been paid off.
The credit card company isn’t liable for section 75a, it has to be a linked finance agreement to the product hence going to finance company, it’s not like section 75 where legally they are jointly liable

I've never tried - and other than for reasons of tax avoidance or some sort of paranoia I'm not sure why it would be a sensible method to purchase a high value item personally, however YMMV. But in conversations I've had with dealers where I've (hypothetically) suggested turning up with a bag of cash they've always said that they won't accept it.
Would wash the ink dye off the notes before you gave them the cash? 😉