Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit and finish excuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new MYP last week. Took it to the SC yesterday to show them a few issues I found before my 7/1000 return period runs out. They mostly consisted of panels gaps and slightly bend fender and a pain blemish.

The SC manager said most were within spec, typical excuse.

He goes on to explain why Tesla’s “within spec” is much broader than other manufacturers. He said legacy manufacturers have had many many years to perfect their production line and Tesla is still working in it. So I can’t expect the same quality. That I should realize that the technology in the car is far superior to the legacys. That I am
paying for tech not fit and finish.

Hmmm.

Yeah I'd recommend an email being fired off to whatever support email address Tesla may or may not read these days. That's just unacceptable, especially if he asked if you were recording him. I think a lot of us Tesla owners have put up with some imperfections because we want these cool cars but like someone else said, it's time for them to start acting like the leader of the pack.

What a load of crap!

A bent fender is "within spec" really? Who's spec.. the local Sat night demolition derby specs :rolleyes:

At $60k the car should be flawless or have the ability to be made flawless without inconvenience to the customer.

Reactions: teko
They said they could replace and paint the fender and repaint the door panel. I just worry about the match. It's MSM.

They have a stupid rule that you cannot order the same trim for 1yr if you return the car. Why should I am penalized for poor quality because of their rush to deliver. I think to force you to keep an inferior car.

^ That's why you see members here refusing to accept cars, because once you accept delivery and return the vehicle the 1-year lockout clause kicks in.

If Tesla is playing hardball with the 1-year lockout rule, buyers need to start playing hardball too and get an agreement in writing before accepting delivery to fix any and all noted issues in a timely manner. If Tesla will not agree to fix something you consider a show-stopper before accepting the vehicle, refuse delivery. It may take a couple of weeks, but they will assign a new VIN to your account with no penalties or time-out wait period.

• Helpful
Reactions: VikH
They have a stupid rule that you cannot order the same trim for 1yr if you return the car. Why should I am penalized for poor quality because of their rush to deliver. I think to force you to keep an inferior car.

Yep, it sucks. The policy is in place to discourage returns. This is why refusing delivery at the point of purchase is important.

I picked up my new MYP last week. Took it to the SC yesterday to show them a few issues I found before my 7/1000 return period runs out. They mostly consisted of panels gaps and slightly bend fender and a pain blemish.

The SC manager said most were within spec, typical excuse.

He goes on to explain why Tesla’s “within spec” is much broader than other manufacturers. He said legacy manufacturers have had many many years to perfect their production line and Tesla is still working in it. So I can’t expect the same quality. That I should realize that the technology in the car is far superior to the legacys. That I am
paying for tech not fit and finish.

Hmmm.

Haha, sounds almost word for word what the SC advisor in California told me. I think Tesla must have issued all their employees a standard response to memorize, since so many of these fit and finish complaints are coming in.

Considering the fact that the plant was closed for half of Q2 and they still cranked out a pretty high volume of cars, I am just happy that my car has all of its parts ...! ;)

As for $60k perfect vs not ... where else will you get a vehicle with this engineering, drivetrain and performance ... anywhere? The way I see it we don't have a choice if we want the experience of owning/driving one of these. If you don't like it, go get a Nissan Leaf ... I'm sure the fit and finish is a bit better on those ... just tell me where you are so I can run circles around you on the freeway :)

I hear Tesla's service department is responsive, so I'm just planning to work with them until all of the notable issues with the car are resolved. Warranty expiration is a long way away.

-- John