Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix-it Ticket : No Front Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a "warning" for speeding and of course issued a fix-it since I refuse to put on the front plate on my model 3.

Should I just pay it in full or any recommendations for "looks permanent but actually removable" front plates? Do the cops actually buy those?

What happens if I get another one in the future?

Get it signed off and submitted before you get fined. This is usually 30 days. The factory plate holder for the front is with tape only. Just uncover a little of the tape get it signed off and then remove it. If you get another fix it, you will have to do the same again. I've taken the front plate off in the police parking lot immediately after getting signed off! :D

Numerous solutions that attach to the lower grill.

I order The Bandit because A) it looks good, and B) appears to be one guy on the board that's making a quality product, and I want to support their independent side business. .... Just hope nobody taps the front end and ruins the front grill.

I don't know if this will pass the inspection, but for those who want to temporarily install a front plate, nothing is easier or cheaper than this. And because it tightens against the back of the grill, it won't damage the grill if someone backs into it while parking.

Once you drill two holes into the license plate frame, it takes 3 minutes to install and 12 minute to remove. Couldn't be easier. I install when I might have to park at meters (meter maids in SF aggressively ticket for missing front plates).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...oncrete-Anchors-Drill-Bit-Included/1000103105

Reactions: Magnets!
Numerous solutions that attach to the lower grill.

I order The Bandit because A) it looks good, and B) appears to be one guy on the board that's making a quality product, and I want to support their independent side business. .... Just hope nobody taps the front end and ruins the front grill.

I also got the bandit and and pretty pleased with it.

I had the service dept mount the bracket when picked up. It is the law to have one. No one goes around and gives you demerits for having one.
I wonder about that, given the number of Teslas I see without front plates in states that I know require one (such as mine). Must be some sort rationale for going though all this trouble just to have a cleaner looking front end!

upload_2019-2-11_11-27-38.png

States that do not require a front plate

I wonder about that, given the number of Teslas I see without front plates in states that I know require one (such as mine). Must be some sort rationale for going though all this trouble just to have a cleaner looking front end!

Mostly because it is normally no trouble at all. If even 10% of the cars with no front plate get pulled over, you will see a lot less cars with no front plates. And sometime it is a good thing to have no front plate when you get pulled over. In the case of OP, if he actually had a front plate, it could have been a speeding ticket instead of a verbal warning on speeding. You get pull over for speeding, and get off easy for a fix it ticket for no front plate or tinted front windows. Now if everything else is up to code.. the officer may just have to give you that speeding ticket instead....

is it really worth the hassle to not have a front plate?

Absolutely! I have not had one for about the past 15 years. Average about a fix-it ticket every 2.5 years. Usually get a cop buddy to sign off on it. Totally worth it for me to have a clean looking front end. Plus, I see no point in a front plate if you've got one in the rear already. If it was that crucial, it would be law in every state.

Need makes a good point. Let's get down to the root cause: Here in California, not having a front plate is illegal . Meter maids aside, I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over solely for not having a front license plate so it would stand to reason that if one never does anything illegal that would compel a cop to pull them over, then one could drive your car without a front license plate with impunity. Right? :)

Or you could just make friends with a cop and have him sign off everytime it happens like I do with my window tint. :) .

is it really worth the hassle to not have a front plate?

Yes. My cost for not having front plates is $0.71 per month since I've gotten one ~$60 ticket in 7 years of no plates on three vehicles. As long as you don't have stacked illegalities (no plates, excessively tinted windows, and speeding) it's usually a non issue.

Last edited:
upload_2019-2-11_12-8-11.png

Pink states explained:

Some common exceptions include trailers, which are issued only one plate, even in states that otherwise issue two plates to all passenger vehicles, while certain other non-passenger types, such as apportioned, may be issued in pairs even in states that otherwise issue only rear plates to passenger vehicles. Pennsylvania, for example, requires a front plate for semi-trailer trucks.[31] Some vanity and specialty plates in Arizona and Kansas are issued in pairs, but only the rear plate is required on the vehicle; the front plate is free and fully optional.

In January 2012, the Texas legislature inadvertently removed the penalty for driving without a front license plate. As a result, the law required front and rear license plates on passenger vehicles, but stated no penalty for non compliance. Realizing the mistake, the legislature eventually reinstated the $200 fine in September 2013.[32]

Massachusetts is a unique case for license plate mounting. Before the introduction of the current "Spirit of America" base starting in 1986 for commercial vehicles, as well as vanity plates in 1988 for all other vehicles, the state issued only a single green-on-white plate to be mounted on the rear bumper. With the current-issue base, two plates are issued and are to be mounted on both the front and rear bumpers. Since all license plates issued since 1978 are currently valid, most passenger vehicles registered in Massachusetts display two plates, but those with the older green-on-white plates display only one.

In Nevada, all motor vehicles, with the exception of motorcycles and trailers, are issued two license plates. According to state law, most standard passenger vehicles issued two plates are required to display them on both the front and rear bumpers of the vehicle. Display of the front license plate, however, is optional for vehicles that either were not designed to have a front plate, or the manufacturer did not provide a plate bracket or other means for front display of a license plate.[33] As a result, the law to display both the front and rear plates is rarely enforced, and it is not uncommon for owners of vehicles with Nevada license plates to remove the manufacturer-supplied front license plate brackets from their vehicles and display only the rear plate.[34] In 2015, Wyoming passed a law, similar to Nevada, that does not require a front license plate on vehicles that either are not specifically designed to have a front plate, or the manufacturer did not provide a plate bracket or other means for front display of a license plate.[35] Nebraska passed an identical law in 2016.[36] In 2017, Montana also passed a similar law, exempting such passenger vehicles from displaying a front plate but requiring motorists to first obtain approval from the Montana Highway Patrol.[37]

South Dakota will issue passenger vehicles a single rear plate for a $25 fee, but only if the vehicle will be driven less than 6,000 miles (9,700 km) every year.[38]

In 2016, Iowa attempted to pass a law that exempts "vintage" vehicles and two-seat, low-profile sports cars, like Corvettes, from the front license plate requirement. Originally, the bill was meant to repeal the front license plate requirement for all vehicles, but was amended as a compromise.[39] The bill was later withdrawn.[40]

I don't know if this will pass the inspection, but for those who want to temporarily install a front plate, nothing is easier or cheaper than this. And because it tightens against the back of the grill, it won't damage the grill if someone backs into it while parking.

Once you drill two holes into the license plate frame, it takes 3 minutes to install and 12 minute to remove. Couldn't be easier. I install when I might have to park at meters (meter maids in SF aggressively ticket for missing front plates).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...oncrete-Anchors-Drill-Bit-Included/1000103105
Care to share a picture of exactly where you attached? This is intriguing.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
If you are driving in an area where they use cameras for car pool lanes or monitoring speed, then the police are usually very active in issuing tickets. Beach areas often have police cars scanning all parked and oncoming car plates to look for vehicles with outstanding warrants or multiple parking tickets. They too will issue no plate citations. Not sure in California no front plates are still a fix it ticket after Jan 1.