Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix the Fold [auto folding mirrors]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love fold on reverse but not at home. I enable this if I am parking somewhere other than home, especially if I know I have to parallel park.
I don't lock my car at home in the garage, so no auto-folding there.

I would love to be able to fold my mirrors using my phone just to use less space in the garage.

Reactions: haggis444
I want my mirrors to fold at home but soon as I arrive the Mirrors fold and then I have to back into my driveway to to connect charger. Mirrors should not fold until car is put into PARK and unfold when taken out of PARK.

Turn OFF auto fold, and push the button to fold them before you get out of the car. Issue fixed. Mirrors folding the minute the car is taken out of park would not necessarily work for places where its too tight for the car to pass through with unfolded mirrors.. There is no way to anticipate every persons needs, which is why there is the option to NOT do it automatically.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Am I missing something here? On my 1Q 2020 Model 3's, the mirrors turn down for looking at the parking stripes (I think that's user enableable?) but the entire housing doesn't fold in until the car auto locks.
I had the look down feature enabled on my Buicks, and didn't see any reason to change.

Turn OFF auto fold, and push the button to fold them before you get out of the car. Issue fixed. Mirrors folding the minute the car is taken out of park would not necessarily work for places where its too tight for the car to pass through with unfolded mirrors.. There is no way to anticipate every persons needs, which is why there is the option to NOT do it automatically.

What button are you talking about?

I want my mirrors to fold at home but soon as I arrive the Mirrors fold and then I have to back into my driveway to to connect charger. Mirrors should not fold until car is put into PARK and unfold when taken out of PARK.

Then as other suggested, you should just turn off auto-folding at home if that's the behavior you want. Auto-folding specifically folds the mirrors just BEFORE you park so that if you have a tight garage door opening the mirrors are already folded in. There's pretty much no other reason to auto fold the mirrors that I can think of.

Now I do understand your situation. Most of the time I pull in forward to my garage, so auto-folding is fine. But I need to back in to charge, and for that I need the mirrors unfolded until the door is right at the garage opening. So my routine is that as I shift into reverse, I press the right scroll wheel and say "Unfold mirrors" and viola, the mirrors unfold. As I approach the door and no longer need the mirrors I issue the command "fffffffffold mirrors". Why the "fffffff"? Even though I've found the voice recognition to work exceptional well, for whatever reason Tesla thinks I'm saying "old mirrors" and decides to bring up the mirror adjustment screen. I wish they would just create a synonym for "fold mirrors" of "old mirrors", but until then, it's "fffffffold mirrors". (I use "fffffffold mirrors" at drive throughs and ATMs too).

Reactions: Spacep0d and GLM3
Am I missing something here? On my 1Q 2020 Model 3's, the mirrors turn down for looking at the parking stripes (I think that's user enableable?) but the entire housing doesn't fold in until the car auto locks.

Yes, there is an auto-fold option that will auto-fold the mirrors as you approach a geographical location (if you need to pull into a tight garage opening for example). The OP apparently has this set.

Reactions: drdumont
Then as other suggested, you should just turn off auto-folding at home if that's the behavior you want. Auto-folding specifically folds the mirrors just BEFORE you park so that if you have a tight garage door opening the mirrors are already folded in. There's pretty much no other reason to auto fold the mirrors that I can think of.

Now I do understand your situation. Most of the time I pull in forward to my garage, so auto-folding is fine. But I need to back in to charge, and for that I need the mirrors unfolded until the door is right at the garage opening. So my routine is that as I shift into reverse, I press the right scroll wheel and say "Unfold mirrors" and viola, the mirrors unfold. As I approach the door and no longer need the mirrors I issue the command "fffffffffold mirrors". Why the "fffffff"? Even though I've found the voice recognition to work exceptional well, for whatever reason Tesla thinks I'm saying "old mirrors" and decides to bring up the mirror adjustment screen. I wish they would just create a synonym for "fold mirrors" of "old mirrors", but until then, it's "fffffffold mirrors". (I use "fffffffold mirrors" at drive throughs and ATMs too).
I have auto fold set up at the local walgreens drive through, at the military gates i go through (have to run ID card under a card reader to open gate) at the local bank drive through ATM, at the local fast food drive throughs. What a great feature. Many uses for it.

Reactions: RTPEV

Stow mirrors, deploy mirrors! Fixed. :D

Same terminology is used for aircraft landing gear; stow and deploy.

They’re supposed to fold at the location. We have three single wide garage doors so mine fold as I’m pulling into the driveway and I have added clearance pulling into the garage. Perfect.

I too like the originators idea of auto fold in Park. And I believe in the “having cake and eat it too” principle. I also need to back into a tight garage to charge. I want to use both the backup cam and the mirrors and have them folded so I can squeeze by with that 40 lb bag of garbage.
So how much trouble would it be to add auto fold at this location with a slide switch “when in park” feature? I think everyone on this thread would be happy. I do appreciate learning about the “ffffffold mirrors” voice command. Is somebody a fan of “Th Who” song, My Generation?

but you have to fold out manually when driving away from home right?
They auto unfold at what, 30mph?
The annoying thing for auto fold at this location is they fold about 15 feet before the garage and on approach while backing in. I use the right and left mirrors to line up. Backup cam view doesn’t do it for me. Now I think I will be happy with the freaking “ffffold mirrors” voice command. Much better than having to pull up the quick settings and hit the button. I am sometimes forgetting to do this before getting out of the car. But I also forget to retrieve me cell phone from the charge pad. I don’t expect Tesla to fix my own foibles. I am actually afraid that they’ll try.

From m3 owners manual.
You can fold the mirrors inward for parking in tight spaces by touching Controls > Quick Controls > Fold. The mirrors remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h), or until you touch Fold again to unfold the mirrors.

Another thing is setting up the mirrors to fold on locking. I would guess most do this and I do as well. But I do want to lock my car when in my own lock garage as I want easy access there. But you could if as unlocking is pretty fast/seamless if you have your phone in your pocket. But then here car wake up for a couple of seconds potentially . I love this car and all of the possibilities:

Mirror Auto Fold
Both exterior mirrors can automatically fold inward whenever you exit and lock Model 3. When you unlock Model 3, the exterior mirrors then automatically unfold.
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Quick Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Fold.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
From m3 owners manual.
You can fold the mirrors inward for parking in tight spaces by touching Controls > Quick Controls > Fold. The mirrors remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h), or until you touch Fold again to unfold the mirrors.

Another thing is setting up the mirrors to fold on locking. I would guess most do this and I do as well. But I do want to lock my car when in my own lock garage as I want easy access there. But you could if as unlocking is pretty fast/seamless if you have your phone in your pocket. But then here car wake up for a couple of seconds potentially . I love this car and all of the possibilities:

Mirror Auto Fold
Both exterior mirrors can automatically fold inward whenever you exit and lock Model 3. When you unlock Model 3, the exterior mirrors then automatically unfold.
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Quick Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Fold.

no way to adjust the driving speed reaches 31 mph right? The speed limit is 25 around here till i leave the 'hood