Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preparing in advance. I have a bad history with flat tires. I've had many in my past, and none have been repairable. (Feel free to judge my driving.) My old car has a full size spare wheel/tire, which was very convenient. It seems that when you call Tesla's roadside service for a flat, they're most likely to just tow you, which is no good. Some questions:

1) Has anyone purchased this for their trunk? 2017-2019 Tesla Model 3 Complete Kit - Carrying Case Included - Modern Spare Would you recommend? How many miles can you drive on a spare like this?

2) I would still need roadside assistance, because I'm not changing the tire myself, I just want to avoid being towed. I have AAA. If/when this happens, am I better to call Tesla's roadside service first or AAA? I haven't heard good things about Tesla's response time, whereas AAA is pretty reliably 30-45 minutes here (LA). Would AAA know how to properly jack up the car with the equipment included in that spare tire kit?

Thanks!

1) A large number of modern cars don't come with spares anymore. I don't have this kit, so can't comment on that, but regardless, no spare tire is meant for long distance, especially consider how heavy model 3 is.
2) I'd call both and cancel the one with the slower expected response time. The advantage of Tesla road side assistance is they may have a spare rental wheel for you. When I had a flat, Tesla contracted AAA to bring a rental wheel to me.
2A) It's best to grab one of those jack adapters. With that, anyone can jack up the car properly, AAA or no AAA.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
No experience with that kit, but it looks pretty complete and well thought out.

As for AAA knowing how to jack the car, it's best that you know, so you can supervise and inform. The four lift points are easy to find--look under the edge. There are two spots on each side, between the tires, with a circular hole big enough to stick a finger in. Those are your lift points.

The jack in the kit claims a rubber contact point. But AAA might prefer their own jack. Watch out for ones that are shaped such that the jack might contact the battery pack--a very bad thing. Get some lift pads and keep them with your spare. Hockey pucks will do, and they're very cheap.

Always good to be prepared before the storm comes.

The spare kit is a good system, definitely recommend it, sure beats running around locating parts hear and there. One more item you will need is a hockypuck or just use the Rerverse Logic Pads see link:

Tesla

I also recommend adding a pair of gloves, air compressor, flash light and reflective vest, and you will thank me later - a pair of athletic shoes. Going by your name I take it that you could get caught on a road trip in heels, not a good mix when trying to break the lug nut off with a swift kick with the foot. That's how I taught my wife to change her tires using the kung fu downward kick while bracing yourself against the car. Never know when the most qualified person to change the tire is YOU. Practice this at home once a month till you get confident with doing this. And always set the parking brake. You can do this.

Reactions: Sherlo
Buy a set of 4 hockey puck kits (many available types and cost if you do a search) and call AAA for a flat. They’ll jack up the tire and plug it right there and fill with air. Quick and easy fix. You can then, at your leisure, take the tire in to a tire place if you want a more permanent repair. Don’t bother with the Tesla or other flat tire kits with the goo or slime. If you use it, especially with the stock Michelin’s, most likely you’ll have to replace the tire because of the goo penetrating the inner foam lining.

The kit looks good to me, and I'm thinking of buying the tire as a spare, as I have all the other things already. Get yourself a hockey puck adapter, and some of the other safety things suggested, and you should be good to go.

I have the Model 3 version of the kit. I am very happy with the quality and completeness. The tire that came with my kit is rated to 80 MPH, plenty fast enough to get to the tire shop or Tesla Service Center via the interstate. To be honest, unless you are like me, where most of your driving is in a rural area without cell phone coverage and on poor roads, you may not need this kit. Most flat tires take a while to go completely flat, and your TPMS should give you plenty of warning so you can drive to a tire shop before the tire fails. Look into AAA or a towing rider from your insurance company, it may be all you will need if you experience a blow out in an urban area and Tesla is unable to respond. However, if you just want to have the piece of mind that this kit offers no matter where you drive, then I recommend it.

I got the Modern Spare. One other nice factor is that it is not a small spare. It is the same diameter (though not as wide) as a standard tire. So car will sit level and can travel up to 80 MPH. Takes up room in trunk, but saw some posts of folks who strap it up to the top of the trunk by the speakers to clear some space for trunk items to sit on floor (and to access trunk well more easily).

The ModernSpare kit for Tesla Model 3 has a jack with a rubber contact point...therefore the "pucks" aren't needed.

From the Modern Spare Kit description on Amazon:
"3000 LB TruLift Ratcheting Scissor Jack With Rubber Contact Point".

A 4000 lb upgraded jack is also available with the same rubber contact point.

FYI...you may find shipping from Amazon costs less than shipping directly from ModernSpare.