Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all. I dont a X, I have a 3, but I'm posting for a friend.
I didnt know friends of my family had the model X. Yesterday I asked if they had ever had problem
with the Falcon doors and they replied no, 'but our tires get flat constantly'. This doesnt seem right to me and I was wondering if having the 'wrong' set of tires, or the wrong size would cause this. I know this isnt much to go on, and I'll try and get more information but just wanted to put it out there.
Thanks.

I have gotten three flat tires in one year on my X from nails and screws which is about two more flats than I had on my 2009 Highlander Hybrid in 10 years (I ran over a spike on the interstate). You may be talking about leaking tires, but I am talking about flats. My theory is that there is a suspension piece that rides about 1/2 inch above the surface of the rear tires. If a nail or screw is picked up and "rides" on the rubber, it might normally just fly off without puncturing the tire. With the X I think the errant spike hits the suspension and is jabbed into the tire. I have nothing to base this theory on but I have never seen part of the suspension so close to the tire tread in any other vehicle.

Anyone else having a similar experience with flats?

I have gotten three flat tires in one year on my X from nails and screws which is about two more flats than I had on my 2009 Highlander Hybrid in 10 years (I ran over a spike on the interstate). You may be talking about leaking tires, but I am talking about flats. My theory is that there is a suspension piece that rides about 1/2 inch above the surface of the rear tires. If a nail or screw is picked up and "rides" on the rubber, it might normally just fly off without puncturing the tire. With the X I think the errant spike hits the suspension and is jabbed into the tire. I have nothing to base this theory on but I have never seen part of the suspension so close to the tire tread in any other vehicle.

Anyone else having a similar experience with flats?

My X had one flat tire the other day. A friend was driving it and the rear tires inside tread were worn through. Had it towed to my house from where it will be towed tomorrow to get new rubber. Now I need to figure out what tires to buy. 20 inch rims. I guess it's not going to be cheap.

I agree with the hundred, but not so much the "few" part. lol

Any idea why the inside tread wore out? Last time this happen to me was a car that had been whammed in the rear which the Tesla has not. Does the rear get aligned like the front? Could that be out? Alignment centers talk about measuring the rear alignment, but I've never had one be able to adjust anything.

I agree with the hundred, but not so much the "few" part. lol

Any idea why the inside tread wore out? Last time this happen to me was a car that had been whammed in the rear which the Tesla has not. Does the rear get aligned like the front? Could that be out? Alignment centers talk about measuring the rear alignment, but I've never had one be able to adjust anything.
I had all four tires wear to the belt on the inside. It was because I had adjusted the ride height down and apparently the suspension lowering system does not compensate the camber of the tires and it wore them out pretty quickly.

I'm confused. My oldest Tesla 2016X never had a flat time on either the original set no on the newest set. Original set lasted 27,000 miles and when they came off, they were wearing evenly. Newest set now has 12,000 miles and still wearing evenly. No flats. Never needed an alignment either.

But you can't align the rear wheels, no? If Tesla actually designed a ride height system that mucks up your wheel alignment they should not be in the auto manufacturing business.
You can adjust toe, just not caster.
it's not something tesla designed...it's just how an air suspension works
I actually work at a tier 3 automotive manufacturer, and I was told by a car enthusiast in upper management here that adjustable suspensions can and should designed to maintain alignment in all ride heights.

Reactions: Master Chief
I actually work at a tier 3 automotive manufacturer, and I was told by a car enthusiast in upper management here that adjustable suspensions can and should designed to maintain alignment in all ride heights.

i don't disagree with you there. but that sounds...expensive and complicated having to align a car for multiple ride heights when you really only drive in one. hell, tesla removed lumbar adjustment becvause "not enough people used it" lol

i don't disagree with you there. but that sounds...expensive and complicated having to align a car for multiple ride heights when you really only drive in one. hell, tesla removed lumbar adjustment becvause "not enough people used it" lol
The suspension would maintain alignment, you wouldn't have to "align it in all heights," but it would instead always have the same alignment because the hub geometry wouldn't move with the height changes. IIRC, he said something like "other manufacturers do it and it only requires a couple more joints."

ETA: To be clear, this discussion likely occurred in 2017, and I've completely forgotten the minutia.