Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Solar Roof Insurance problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty safe to say that insurance claims for roof damage are a lot different in Florida than Northern California.
True. We have a home in Austin and shingle roofs down there don't seem to last long due to hail damage. The one our home lasted less than 10 years. With that said, the home insurance prices in Austin seem reasonably priced. I wonder how a solarroof will do down there and its impact on insurance costs?

Knowing that most insurance company in Florida DO NOT insure Tesla solar glass roof, I got my new Tesla roof done in Mach 2021 And I am looking for a insurance companies to insure my house at a reasonable price…. Very few options. So I understand making a claim would probably end up in insurance company dropping you in the near future. I would suggest that you order a new power wall from Tesla and keep your defective Power wall and sale it has is on eBay or market place that would offset some of your cost. There is a market for used Tesla lithium batteries.

PS I am interested to know what are insurance company that insured Tesla solar glass roof tile in Florida in 2022?
I am getting my home insured with a Tesla Roof from AAA. Didn't know they do homeowners insurance but luckily found them. There price was reasonable too!

Reactions: sunwarriors
I had the "Mortgage Insurance Coverage" for Solar tiles with my insurance agent for the last two months and in the end, She could not find any company that will cover solar tiles due to being "New". I ask the vendor that Tesla direct me to for my location and they refer me to an insurance broker, but still no dice.
It is ridiculous that in Florida "The Sunshine State" does not have any incentives for Solar and for Insurance companies to cover or for insurance companies to stay.
I start researching Tesla Solar tiles a few years ago when it was announced, and I figure by the time I need a new roof it should be no brainer to get the tiles and get coverage. Now I am at that point.
PLEASE, let me know if anyone has found coverage for Solar tiles.

I am located in Fort Lauderdale.

I had the "Mortgage Insurance Coverage" for Solar tiles with my insurance agent for the last two months and in the end, She could not find any company that will cover solar tiles due to being "New". I ask the vendor that Tesla direct me to for my location and they refer me to an insurance broker, but still no dice.
It is ridiculous that in Florida "The Sunshine State" does not have any incentives for Solar and for Insurance companies to cover or for insurance companies to stay.
I start researching Tesla Solar tiles a few years ago when it was announced, and I figure by the time I need a new roof it should be no brainer to get the tiles and get coverage. Now I am at that point.
PLEASE, let me know if anyone has found coverage for Solar tiles.

I am located in Fort Lauderdale.
I ended up having to go with Citizens since nobody else would cover my solar roof up here in Jacksonville.

Just thought I'd chime in here. I recently switched insurance carriers to Tower Hill Insurance. While I don't have solar roof, I do have solar panels. They added a specific rider in my insurance covering my panels up to the amount I paid for them, there was zero concern from the underwriter. I'm up in Jacksonville Florida.