Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flufferbot, 'Hollowgate' and the hollow floor noise

Do you have the hollow sound?

• No and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • No and my cars post May 2018

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Yes and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Yes and my car's post May 2018

Votes: 154 82.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just dropped the car off at Tesla, didn’t ask them explicitly if they have to drop the battery to fix this, but they implied it.

The tech had me recreate the noise and said it was a known Tesla issue and that they add structural support to the floor to fix it. They did tell me that the Model 3 has thinner floors than the S or the X.

I’ll report back when I get the car and know the full story

Got my car back last week after tesla applied the fix.

My car had to stay with them for a week since they had to order parts. They did not have to remove the battery but they did need to remove back seats to get to the floor. Service involved adding additional reinforcement between the carpet and floor.

However after the “fix” was completed, the noise was still present. I asked why that was and their response was they can only dampen the noise. The fix they have for this issue does not completely prevent the hallow sound when stepping on it. Soon as they have a better solution, they’ll let me know. Service rep also mentioned its the way the car was manufactured and this issue should be present in all Model 3’s. This was very disappointing.

Agreed - it's embarrassing that a luxury car sounds like Yugo made their floorpan. The floorpan is the foundation for the car so if that's crappy build quality, it's hard to not be suspect of other parts. Even the backseat floor of my cousin's Cutless Surpeme, which was rotted out and you could see the highway - that didn't sound as shoddy as my floor does. If the Tesla 3 had a history of no issues despite the sound, it wouldn't bother me. I'm nervous about what the future holds.

Not every model 3 does this...so yes it matters, and I don't think Tesla meant to make their model 3 this way.
Are you suggesting this might be some kind of manufacturing defect? I'm guessing they simply changed the manufacturing process somewhere along the line, whether it be the removal of the "flufferbot" step or something else. Probably to save production time / costs. There have been other examples of this between early and late cars.

Whether it actually matters is another question entirely, and I don't think one that anyone except the engineers that designed the car can answer.

My SC said my car was not affected. It's definitely super loud. I can't imagine what an affected car sounds like. I did check out the showroom Model 3 and it made the same loud noise. I am guessing it was a cost saving measure. All for the sake of profitability and to prove those damn shorts wrong.

I'm genuinely curious why this bothers some of you so much?

I have it too, and agree it sounds kinda cheap... but it's not really going to affect my life in any way.

My kid steps on it all the time, and every time she does it sounds like she's gonna go through the floor. I know that she isn't, but I don't like that something on this otherwise really nice car sounds so cheap.

It'll be what it will be, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it or anything, but it bugs me. I definitely would not have brought it in just for that though.

Reactions: chinnam3
Are you suggesting this might be some kind of manufacturing defect? I'm guessing they simply changed the manufacturing process somewhere along the line, whether it be the removal of the "flufferbot" step or something else. Probably to save production time / costs. There have been other examples of this between early and late cars.

Whether it actually matters is another question entirely, and I don't think one that anyone except the engineers that designed the car can answer.
at least it's not work as intended, that's why they are willing to fix it for free.

Just got my car back this morning. When I picked it up they told me they had to pull up the carpet and replace the “clips” in the floor and that there was a service bulletin out for it.

I would say the sound has improved only marginally. If anything I’d say it’s still as loud as it was only now it takes more force before the thud becomes a clang.

I’m not planning on doing anything more about it, it is what it is. Hopefully it’s improved enough where my kid won’t trigger it anymore.

For others I’d say mention it if you’re already bringing it in, but I definitely wouldn’t make an appointment just for this.

My 4 year old has discovered it and loves it. When he's not buckled in the backseat, he's stomping on the middle section, giggling maniacally.

(I only notice it in the middle section between the two rear passenger footwells. In the actual footwell sections, not so much empty clanging noise.)

EDIT: I have an upcoming service appt, waiting for some parts to come in (left turn signal); I could add this on, but the fix sounds like more hassle then it's worth and I'm not going to bother. Risk of more issues popping up because of the fix and extra time in service is not worth it over (to me) minor sound issues. Maybe the sound of a happy 4 year old is also worth the clanging. :)

Last edited:
I picked mine up Tuesday and it has the issue (VIN 5YJ). I discovered it by lightly dropping (maybe a foot) one of those emergency battery jumpers onto the rear foot well. It sounds as if grabbing a piece of sheet metal and shaking it. It is absolutely crappy to have a 60k car make that sound when someone drops something or puts their foot down fast.

I called Tesla and there are going to send a mobile unit since I'm 3 hours from a SC.