Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FML: Defroster ribbon sheared during tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CMc1

supercharge.info editor
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2019
North, UK
Ughhhh. It is what it is. Defroster ribbon sheared during tint. Tinter thought the FM radio ribbons (up top) were for the defroster / defogger, so assumed down low was safe. Also 3rd brake light foam has been pushed/snapped causing light to bleed when brake light is on.

Any UK solutions? Think I’m going to try and solder direct on but access is very poor. It’s sheared right at the male spade connector from the glass before connecting to car’s earth.

Anyone recommend any conductive adhesive? Soldering iron on glass in limited area, isn’t exactly the best plan.

I’ve partially stripped out the parcel shelf for more access (cant figure out how to disconnect speakers or rear head airbag cover bungees).

I’ve got some left over weather seal I think I’ll use for for the brake light

FML

AA0916C1-7416-4564-9DA4-F344936F60CF.jpeg
49594A09-89E7-4EBE-8AE6-AEF918C8A645.jpeg
92200995-D7C6-462C-B4D3-630F8C77BD57.jpeg
96BCC85A-4A85-4BF0-B262-2DA4E7B4BA5E.jpeg
13E68316-D23C-4E85-B3E4-BACFDE119DFA.jpeg
757033FC-EE0D-4C06-AB6C-AC911A64D38C.jpeg

(Model 3)

Get Tesla to fix and Tinter to pay.

This.

He shouldn’t have taken the job on if he didn’t know or wasn’t confident about the location of these things.

This was my first thought, but then Tesla will simply say it’s a rear glass change and that’ll be several 0000’s for the tinter not to mention hassle for me without a car for several days. Plus the nearest service centre is 100+ miles away. And it wasn’t malicious, it’s an honest mistake. Seems a little excessive to demand for less than 10cm of wire.

Then I’d still be down a tint.

If I can restore functionality with the least hassle for me I think this will be the best outcome.

This was my first thought, but then Tesla will simply say it’s a rear glass change and that’ll be several 0000’s for the tinter not to mention hassle for me without a car for several days. Plus the nearest service centre is 100+ miles away. And it wasn’t malicious, it’s an honest mistake. Seems a little excessive to demand for less than 10cm of wire.

Then I’d still be down a tint.

If I can restore functionality with the least hassle for me I think this will be the best outcome.
Admirable thoughts.

My feeling is, it was an honest mistake yes but ultimately it's the tinter's fault right? If so, exhaust all possible options to fix for minimal cost and if still not possible, you then should go to Tesla and charge the paint guy. Fairness is fairness.

Unless, you can live with it not working properly

If the tinter is a bona fide business then surely he’ll have some sort of insurance for these sort of mishaps?
I’m sure it was just an honest mistake but you’re the consumer and he runs a business. Let’s not revert the roles here.

Plus.... he’s gained something out of it: experience and knowledge. You seem to be the only one who’s gained nothing other than a headache.

If the tinter is just “this guy” whom you’ve heard about from someone who know someone then... caveat emptor.

Either way, I’m sorry to hear of your troubles and good luck fixing it all!

I’m of the same mind. If I pay a professional to do do something and it goes wrong, I would also look at easy options that cause me the least inconvenience and him the least cost.
However, I’d bear in mind that:
1) any repair has to hold good for a long time.
2) if the rear screen is replaced it will be properly attached.
3) If Tesla had done the job, you’d be after their hide!

I do feel for you. At the end of the day, the guy’s insurance may have to cover this one.

Plus.... he’s gained something out of it: experience and knowledge. You seem to be the only one who’s gained nothing other than a headache.
Wise words.

As tempting as it might be, and I'm far too soft myself, he's running a business (I presume, and hope), he did a job for money and messed it up badly, either due to not scoping out the job beforehand, and spotting all of these cables, ribbons, etc or not doing that at all and just jumping straight on it assuming that it wouldn't have these things. Either way, this is entirely his fault.

It was an accident, but he's still responsible for what happened.

To be blunt the list of problems sounds like an amateur at work. People have had tints done on Model 3s and this is the first I've read of someone having their heater element sliced off and foam damaged, etc. It's not beyond the wit of man to tint this window, but it may be beyond this man.

You need to stop thinking of this as trying to do him a favour, to be perfectly blunt. I'm sure he'll appreciate you making excuses for him and finding ways for him not to have to shoulder the cost of repairs, but as @ACarneiro eruditely put it, he's gained experience and knowledge from this mistake and you'll have paid twice over for it.

Incidentally from what I can gather the replacement windscreen cost is circa £770. It will certainly include the heating element, and - on a more positive note - if your car didn't have the lip at the bottom to stop water rolling off the windscreen into the boot, it'll have that too.

• Helpful
Reactions: M3noob and CMc1
I think someone in a different thread said £700 for rear glass replacement. As others have said, fitter should have insurance.

Tesla did our windscreen and two roof panels within 48 hours, although we didn't have time to collect until 3rd day. Overall, they did a good job, better alignment than factory although we have ranger due to call for a few minor follow up issues.

But I can understand any conundrum of whether to get it re-tinted. Hopefully they will have learned from their mistake or, go elsewhere if you are not confident - we did this with our ppf which was not the cheap option but happy I went with that option and cut my losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidmc
This is a cost of doing business, sadly.

I'd have every sympathy for the guy, but at the same time I'd be of the mind that he's the professional, I paid him to do a professional job and have ended up with a car with serious issues.

Tesla won't fix the cable, and I'm not entirely sure you can fix a sliced ribbon cable, there's pretty much nothing to solder to. And would you want to? How robust will the fix be?

I think your only option realistically is going to be a new rear windscreen, and then get that re-tinted (by someone else).

This is a cost of doing business, sadly.

I'd have every sympathy for the guy, but at the same time I'd be of the mind that he's the professional, I paid him to do a professional job and have ended up with a car with serious issues.

Tesla won't fix the cable, and I'm not entirely sure you can fix a sliced ribbon cable, there's pretty much nothing to solder to. And would you want to? How robust will the fix be?

I think your only option realistically is going to be a new rear windscreen, and then get that re-tinted (by someone else).

Agree with this. Your intentions are admirable but ultimately, he's responsible.

Thanks everyone for responses. Weighing up the options; I had 3 auto electricians mention they wouldn’t touch it due to the risk of cracking the screen when soldering the connection. So this affirms that Tesla should do it.

Where do I stand legally? I see consumer rights mention “reasonable care and skill“ under section 54 and that I can ask for payment. But would this include the cost of the tint too? (Original Tint cost + glass replacement) ie; “what I’m out of pocket”.

I believe the tinter has high excess of around £1500 so doubtful this will be going through their insurance.

The tinter searched forums prior to the job and we discussed risks prior such as potential glass crack as result of tint, or defroster lines being an issue. But never a cut wire.

Unfortunately I don’t think this will get resolved quickly and can see them fighting it.

imho, thats not "reasonable care and skill".

Reasonable care and skill would not result in a car with brake light foam missing and I think that attitude/ability probably contributed to the broken connection. The potential issues that you mentioned being discussed are side effects of the tint being fitted (they could have refused the job) but a broken connector is a direct consequence of the fitters actions. The fitter was negligent.

Thanks everyone for responses. Weighing up the options; I had 3 auto electricians mention they wouldn’t touch it due to the risk of cracking the screen when soldering the connection. So this affirms that Tesla should do it.

Where do I stand legally? I see consumer rights mention “reasonable care and skill“ under section 54 and that I can ask for payment. But would this include the cost of the tint too? (Original Tint cost + glass replacement) ie; “what I’m out of pocket”.

I believe the tinter has high excess of around £1500 so doubtful this will be going through their insurance.

The tinter searched forums prior to the job and we discussed risks prior such as potential glass crack as result of tint, or defroster lines being an issue. But never a cut wire.

Unfortunately I don’t think this will get resolved quickly and can see them fighting it.

You can't let him get away with it. You are right to quote consumer rights and I would take them all the way to ensure you get what's owed which is only fair.

I also think you should name them on here so people can avoid like the plague/Coronavirus

imho, thats not "reasonable care and skill".

Reasonable care and skill would not result in a car with brake light foam missing and I think that attitude/ability probably contributed to the broken connection. The potential issues that you mentioned being discussed are side effects of the tint being fitted (they could have refused the job) but a broken connector is a direct consequence of the fitters actions. The fitter was negligent.
100%

If this were me, I would avoid the factory glass being re/installed & replaced. (replacement screens are never quite as good as the factory original, and you will risk further damage to the aperture and interior of the car along with risks of leaks and misalignment. (I have years of experience in this trade)

This is all unfortunate, but its one of the risks when having a tint performed, accidents happen to try not to kill the guys business.
I don't think it would be unreasonable asking to cover the cost of an auto electrician.

The ribbon can be repaired, the leading edge will need to be prepared for soldering as you will need to expose the copper to solder this.
A new spade connector should be soldered onto this and correctly insulated with heat wrap so you do not eat into the factory wiring.

Again, any decent qualified auto electrician should be able to perform this for you, again being careful with heat/soldering iron near your new tint.

With regards to the foam, see if you can find the old bit and glue back on, or clean up the surface and apply some new foam. Smaller strips can be found on eBay etc. (just be careful of your new tint, superglue will react with the tint if even close to it. So avoid that)

Oh, and when soldering (as this is a Tesla, disconnect the other side of the screen heater element before doing this, as there is no way to switch off the car once inside you don't want to be soldering on live connections etc)

If you go careful you should get this resolved without much pain, my main worry would be around working on live electrics due to this being an EV/Tesla, Maybe better to leave to a professional if you are considering doing this yourself.