Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FML: Defroster ribbon sheared during tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all due respect to the above, I think a replacement screen is the way forward, because:
  1. There’s no reason to assume that a replacement screen, fitted by Tesla, will be any worse or better in fitment than the factory screen. This is Tesla remember.

2. You’ll have a warranty on the glass in line with the car. If you’re not happy with the fit you can complain about it.

3. Access to the affected area is very limited, and the job of trying to expose the copper and apply solder very fiddly. Who is going to take that job on with confidence? Certainly not the tinters, who I wouldn’t trust to fit a cup holder rubber liner at this point, so who?

4. What risk is there of additional damage being done to surrounding areas from attempting to solder etc in such a tight space. I’d suggest it’s quite high risk.

5. The aforementioned power problem. Can you fully isolate it on a Tesla?

6. How robust and long lasting is this fix going to be? Is it going to be as resilient in different weather conditions?

7. Sticking bits of foam on to fix the brake light bleed.. really? :(

8. Some early M3s are exhibiting spontaneous pressure cracks in the rear screen, replacing the screen resolves that.

9. Early M3s don’t have the lip seal around the bottom to deflect water away from going in to the boot, this resolves that too.
At the end of the day this outcome was avoidable. If it wasn’t forums etc would be littered with people complaining of the same problem. As it is this is the first I’ve read of it, which points to it being singularly incompetent (seriously how do you not see these wires whilst cutting?). Did it seem to you like they were rushing the job?

From the sounds of it you may need to file a small claims to get them to pay. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: CMc1 and ACarneiro
We just had our roof glass refitted. Lets just say, if your car was assembled on the assembly line where manual intervention was needed (the other one is automated) to fit roof glass, then "reasonable care and skill" probably didn't come into it otherwise there wouldn't have been gaps in the adhesive. So you may well end up with a better job with service centre fitted glass.

Early M3s don’t have the lip seal around the bottom to deflect water away from going in to the boot, this resolves that too.

Is this the narrow flip up lip that runs along the bottom edge of the glass? Our new glass is no different in that respect from our old one so I think we may have had the modification from original. We are fairly early VIN as far as UK deliveries concerned. I do know of a mod in very early cars (don't know what the exact fix was hence me querying) but it was very early in the global production run so quite possible all UK cars have this mod.

1. There’s no reason to assume that a replacement screen, fitted by Tesla, will be any worse or better in fitment than the factory screen. This is Tesla remember -This was not an assumption, the process of cutting out the existing glass and replacing with new is quite intrusive, very likely the aperture paint will be damaged, the glass won't be aligned quite as accurately as the factory, again if this were me I would avoid a glass replacement (if you have no issues with that regard, I assume the owner was happy).
  1. You’ll have a warranty on the glass in line with the car. If you’re not happy with the fit you can complain about it True, and there would be the factor if you owned the car or leased it etc. An example would be damage to the paint can go unnoticed for years, until you start getting a leak ;) , remove the glass and find you need considerable bodywork to repair the rust caused by the paint damage.
  2. Access to the affected area is very limited, and the job of trying to expose the copper and apply solder very fiddly. Who is going to take that job with confidence? Certainly not the tinters, who I wouldn’t trust to fit a cup holder rubber liner at this point, so who?
    An auto electrician, window tinting requires a good level of skill, this was an accident.
  3. What risk is there of additional damage being done to surrounding areas from attempting to solder etc in such a tight space. I’d suggest it’s quite a high risk.
    less risk than fitting new glass IMO
  4. The aforementioned power problem. Can you fully isolate it on a Tesla?
    yes, you disconnect both sides of the glass, the same as if you were replacing
  5. How robust and long-lasting is this fix going to be? Is it going to be as resilient in different weather conditions?
    If done correctly, the life of the car
  6. Sticking bits of foam on to fix the brake light bleed.. really? :(
    The same as the factory originally did (self-adhesive foam)
  7. Some early M3s are exhibiting spontaneous pressure cracks in the rear screen, replacing the screen resolves that.
    Pressure cracks are due to the glass being too close to the body of the car, this is not a fault of the glass.
  8. Early M3s don’t have the lip seal around the bottom to deflect water away from going into the boot, this resolves that too.That is not the issue here

• Disagree
Reactions: pow216
This was my first thought, but then Tesla will simply say it’s a rear glass change and that’ll be several 0000’s for the tinter not to mention hassle for me without a car for several days. Plus the nearest service centre is 100+ miles away. And it wasn’t malicious, it’s an honest mistake. Seems a little excessive to demand for less than 10cm of wire.

Then I’d still be down a tint.

If I can restore functionality with the least hassle for me I think this will be the best outcome.

I appreciate you empathy. However, the installer probably has insurance for this, albeit with a $500 -1k deductible. Perhaps you talk to him and work out a deal? His insurance pays for the new glass, you and he work out splitting the deductible and new tint job. Your aim is to cover his bare costs of materials and labor. I think my tint job was $800+/- at what I suspect was 65% Gross Profit. He should be willing to kick in at least that much and maybe redo the tint for cost.

Just an update. I took the guy/company to small claims court under the consumer rights act after they were denying responsibility, refusing to to carry out a full repair and wasn’t happy I wanted/had it fixed in a short time frame after the damage occurred.

Anyways after a long process (roughly 9 months) I won based on the balance of probability of the damage occurring whilst the car was in their possession and the money was paid back.

This post was referenced in their evidence. Not sure what the relevance was, but guess it supported my view of exploring all available options and seeking other avenues. They found it after matching the photos.

I got back full refund of tinting, rear glass replacement by Tesla and court costs including interest.

It would have saved them time and money if they just worked with me to resolve it from the beginning.

If you know you’re in the right, the law is on the consumer’s side. Stick to your guns and follow it through.

Well done. If you don’t mind me asking, did it get all the way to a court date (I suppose that’s virtual now) or was it settled before it got to that point?

Can’t see how the company could deny responsibility. It went in with a working heating element and came out with a sheared off one.

Shame you had to go through that whole process. Even if you believe you’re in the right it’s still a bit of a pain to go through.

Glad it worked out for you in the end. Its sad that we have to go down these roads sometimes.

The fact that they referenced this post just goes to show that naming and shaming a company, prior to resolution, can be a dangerous move.

So well played OP - think you handled the whole thing perfectly. As someone much like yourself that would always lean towards the, honest mistake and not have the first instinct to sue them for every penny, I'm pleased to see you didn't end up out of pocket.

Reactions: Wol747 and pow216
Wierd they fought it. Now instead of a £700 glass replacement they're down court costs and legal fees too. I bet their insurance isn't impressed either.

Normally things are settled long before it gets that far.. it's both cheaper for the company and good service has a chance of redeeming the reputation of the company somewhat.

Wierd they fought it. Now instead of a £700 glass replacement they're down court costs and legal fees too. I bet their insurance isn't impressed either.

Normally things are settled long before it gets that far.. it's both cheaper for the company and good service has a chance of redeeming the reputation of the company somewhat.
Don’t assume the business owner was logical or smart when it comes to these things. Court can sometimes bring surprises!

If you don’t mind me asking, did it get all the way to a court date (I suppose that’s virtual now) or was it settled before it got to that point?
Yeah it was teleconference court hearing. Judge read the evidence prior to the hearing. Asked if we had anything to add since the evidence was submitted and then passed judgement. Was over in about 20 minutes and other party paid at the last possible moment 2 weeks after the hearing.

Thanks everyone for the support

This might be of use to someone that stumbles upon this thread and is looking for an answer.