Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Foam bag installation fender and a pillar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone try that foam bag install as discussed in that recent you tube video on a 2016 X? I have the materials and was going to try it to see if reduces some road/wind noise. I guess you take a 10 lb bag and put in the a pillar and a 40lb underneath that. its very hard to get in those spaces. I was going to spray paint mine black to match my car color

Was seeing if anyone else has advice after doing this?

Actually after closer inspection mine came with them too, I decided to still try the foam in the fender area, it worked and went in there, if it did anything more placebo effect. Now the problem is , is it reversible? When it comes to time to trade in the car is Tesla going to give me a problem about it. Does anyone know why a 2020 is so much more quiet then the 2016, is it simply the newer suspension?

Actually after closer inspection mine came with them too, I decided to still try the foam in the fender area, it worked and went in there, if it did anything more placebo effect. Now the problem is , is it reversible? When it comes to time to trade in the car is Tesla going to give me a problem about it. Does anyone know why a 2020 is so much more quiet then the 2016, is it simply the newer suspension?

The 2019 "raven" and on Xs are supposed to be quieter and have a more efficient motor.

When it comes time to trade in the car, I can guarantee you Tesla is NOT going to take apart the car looking for things in the wheel wells or pillars. You get the trade-in value via email after you send pics in to them. I traded my Model 3 in and I pointed out to them that the rear glass (the BIG piece) was cracked. They just shrugged their shoulders and sent me on my way.

Did anyone try that foam bag install as discussed in that recent you tube video on a 2016 X? I have the materials and was going to try it to see if reduces some road/wind noise. I guess you take a 10 lb bag and put in the a pillar and a 40lb underneath that. its very hard to get in those spaces. I was going to spray paint mine black to match my car color

Was seeing if anyone else has advice after doing this?

Can you post a link to the video?

I am sorry to hijack this subject, but has anyone had success at adding a handle to the passenger side A pillar to help small girlfriends out of the passenger's seat? I would love to add this matching handle from a Ford Escape to the A pillar, but there seems to be a lot of hardware and electronics there. Of course, I have asked the service centers at appointments if they could try, but they laugh good-naturedly and say no.
Mike P
IMG_6487.jpg

Ok I believe that the foam bag install has helped significantly with my wind noise on the highway, especially the A-pillar even tho I already had foam in there, I think there was still room for air to circulate in these open spaces. Still the road noise/tire noise is there depending on what surface Im driving on, and the ride is still stiff and hurts my neck (a recent loaner newer model had none of this, it was like bliss)

You can find them on amazon, just search for it. I dont get that weird wooshing noise anymore when cars drive past me and are in front of me on the highway. I still get loud truck noises and uncomfortable stiff ride, but I believe this has made decrease in decibels.. wish I had a meter beforehand.
I feel ridiculous, but I can't seem to find these foam bag inserts. What are they specifically called? Better yet.... Can someone just attach a link with an example of where to buy it. I'm really curious about this, but for the life of me can't find it anywhere.

Ok update!
First I think I figured out a large portion of my wind and road noise. I would NOT recommend putting the foam bags in. They are pain in the butt to get in there, and then when you do I dont think they will come out easily.

This is what I did:

1) I had some old sound dampening foam lying around the home. I cut it into pieces and stuffed it into the A-pillar on both sides. Even tho my Apillar already had some foam all the way up there I could see with a flash light I think this still cut down on some vibration and noise. This is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3Y6QDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) I also bought this strip and put it against my windshield. It only took a few seconds and I think it really helped. Its so simple to install. I noticed that my 2016 X had a piece of foam I could visibly see in between dash and the wind shield, but my loaner 2018-2019 model did not, the windshield directly contacted the dash, there was no gap. I think this has made a difference
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q864QBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

let me know what u guys think! I decided not to trade in at this time because I do not want to loose lifetime supercharging and I have a 2y/o she will just make the new one dirty in a matter of days too. Might as well wait until shes older. :)