Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fob replacement not detected but unlocks car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a service visit today and had the batteries replaced in both my fobs. One of my fobs had all three buttons exposed, so they replaced that fob. Got in my car and drove home. I separated the fobs and then had to go back to my car, but the new fob wasn't detected as I approached the car. I was able to unlock the car by double clicking the roof button, but once inside, the car stated that the fob was not inside the car. I was able to lock my car with this new fob as well.

My other (original) fob worked fine; it was detected and I was able to drive my car.

Any quick solutions before I contact Tesla tomorrow? Reset?

This one's a mystery to me. The car reacts to lock/unlock but doesn't detect it inside?

Only thing I can think of is that when you had it in the car it was in your pocket behind a cell phone or something, but I'm sure you considered that.

Yeah...it actually was the only thing I had with me, and it was in my hand. I noticed the car didn't auto-present the handles, so I waved the fob around (like it was a magic wand or something), and still no handles. When I unlocked it, sat down and depressed the brake, I got the message -- key fob not inside the car. I placed the fob down along the floor, then in the cup holder, and then I waved it around like it was a wand again. Got out, walked away and came back -- same result. Returned to my house and got the second fob -- no issue with this one.

Strange.

How does the proximity sensor work? Is it in the car, fob or both?

Yeah...it actually was the only thing I had with me, and it was in my hand. I noticed the car didn't auto-present the handles, so I waved the fob around (like it was a magic wand or something), and still no handles. When I unlocked it, sat down and depressed the brake, I got the message -- key fob not inside the car. I placed the fob down along the floor, then in the cup holder, and then I waved it around like it was a wand again. Got out, walked away and came back -- same result. Returned to my house and got the second fob -- no issue with this one.

Strange.

How does the proximity sensor work? Is it in the car, fob or both?

I had something similar happen to me with my original fob recently. A reboot fixed it. Don't know if it will work for you but worth a try ...

Well, it went through a service update last night, so I assume a reboot. Fob was detected if placed right next to the cigarette lighter, but no where else.

I'm going to drop it off at the service center this weekend I think for reprogramming.

My fob battery was low 5 months after delivery. And I only drive the car on the weekends (my wife drives it M-F). I also make sure the key is not too close to the car. I always have the fob with me, so the fob is about 70-miles away from the car during the day and several hundred feet away at night (bedroom to garage distance).