Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something else occurred to me regarding why it's completely reasonable for anybody buying a Model S to expect they are getting fog lights. If you place deposit and then finalize your configuration, you are invited to download the manual for your car.

Notice what's in the Owner's Manual on page 13:

Again I reiterate: I have sent Tesla $5000 on good faith for a car that I can expect based ONLY on what's presented to me. So far all of their collateral, including official documentation and showroom samples, state that I should expect fog lights.

In my TDI Jetta book there were instructions to turn on the foglamps too. No foglamps on my car. It also had oilchange information for the 2.5L I5 gasoling engine, and the 2.0T gas engine also.

The manual isn't perfect. My manual has the DRL button shown, but it isn't in the car. Canadian cars are not allowed to have a DRL override, so I fully understand this.

However:

1) Fog lights are not available AT ALL as we are being told.

2) The text explicitly calls out the circumstances when you should have them: if you have the Tech Package

Were this an isolated issue, that might be one thing. But it's yet an additional example of a number of places where Tesla has led people to expect their car comes with them.

Last edited:
Something else occurred to me regarding why it's completely reasonable for anybody buying a Model S to expect they are getting fog lights. If you place deposit and then finalize your configuration, you are invited to download the manual for your car.

Notice what's in the Owner's Manual on page 13:

View attachment 20750

Again I reiterate: I have sent Tesla $5000 on good faith for a car that I can expect based ONLY on what's presented to me. So far all of their collateral, including official documentation and showroom samples, state that I should expect fog lights.

Good catch... yet another place that makes it look like a bait-and-switch. I'll be waiting for Tesla's official response on this issue. I hope they make it right and either offer replacement fog lights or a partial refund at least to people who finalized before the change was made.

While I got the fog lights with my delivery last November, I recall signing a contract that stated something to the effect that things may change...

Trust me, there are plenty of features that have been added (and deleted) since my November delivery but oh well.

If you want a firm-fixed-price contract with no wiggle room, it will cost you.

@digitaltim, I completely agree with you. Tesla is continually improving the car and people need to lighten up a bit. We've seen mats added for free, numerous software updates, and big improvements in body panel alignment and driving performance, addition of super charging hardware to 60s, auto upgrade of the 40s battery and performance, and don't forget super chargers (and speculation of upcoming improvements in charging performance)! All but the super chargers we improved upon since I reserved my car.

What other car company does this without nickel and diming their customers for every little thing? I for one am a huge fan boy - and yes I didn't get the promised fog lights in my car too. Let's put things in perspective.

Last edited:
Perspective? Seems to me you've lost perspective. Just about everything you listed is not any unexpected, freebee enhancement. This was stuff promised all along. I got my car mid-December and I love it. But a lot of what Tesla has been doing just stinks and I doubt many here would put up with it from any other company.

I wonder why they were bad? I have them and they look cool. If they are not good or bad in actuality, better just to keep them as they look cool

The only problem I have had with fog lights (all cars that I have had fog lights on) is that you have to have your headlights ON for the fog lamps to be lit. I was driving in heavy fog one night and couldn't see a thing because the headlight light was being reflected back. If I could have only done fog lights I would have been able to see the road. I ended up opening up the drivers door and looking down at the yellow lines on the road. I would have been screwed if a car had been coming the other direction.

I received a reply from Elon last evening stating that he'd review the issue, and that the company is under pressure to be profitable.

I appreciate his frankness and accessibility. I know of only one other CEO like that: Jim Jannard of Red Digital Cinema (formerly of Oakley). It's refreshing to have those at the top willing to listen so directly to their customer.

I appreciate all those that have kept this respectful and constructive. It appears it has the attention of the Tesla brass. If you care about the larger issue of features being removed and communication (even if fog lights aren't necessarily important to you), you may want to voice your support.

I am hopeful that Tesla responds in a way that continues to engender our loyalty.

I can understand that response. And I'm actually ok with the change if they are pretty much useless and if they save a few hundred for them. But the lack of communication or notification that they were removed when people are expecting to get them just really irks me.

Has anyone heard any response from Tesla on the fog light removal?

I haven't as of yet. The email I got from Elon was last Thursday, and he said he was going to "review" the issue that evening. He's obviously a busy man, so I don't think it's unreasonable for it to take some time... as there are obviously a lot of moving parts in a complex manufacturing organization...

I do hope we are able to keep the issue alive until some conclusion is reached.

Thanks.

Received this e-mail from Corporate in reply to my prior e-mails as noted in the above thread:

Thank you for the note regarding fog lights in Model S.
Our design team’s discussion about the fog lights was primarily focused around their usefulness, especially given their functional overlap with cornering lamps. It was determined that cornering lamps offer greater overall functional utility to the vehicle.

Tesla has made several changes to Model S since product initially began almost a year ago. We continually evaluate ways to improve the performance, reliability, efficiency and cost of our products. With many Model S in customer's hands, we now have real world data to help inform our evaluations. Originally, the Tech Package included Fog Lights and Cornering Lights, but only the Fog Lights were listed as a Tech Package feature on the website. After reviewing functional illumination in real world driving, Tesla determined the Cornering Light offered greater functionality than the Fog Light and having both lights was redundant.

A few other examples of changes include adding the “Creep” functionality and “Range” driving mode to the software of Model S. Our engineering team also just updated the door handles for increased reliability and to provide a bit of mechanic feedback when used. Other changes include the design of the nose cone and adding heated seats as standard equipment for the textile interior. Tesla has also begun to add rear floor mats as a standard feature to Model S along with more robust production front floor mats. We will continue to make adjustments and improvements to the vehicle.

The goal is to delight customers with Model S. Unfortunately, the fog lights were removed from the production line some time ago and are not possible to add back into the vehicle.

...waiting for Elon to chime in.....

That does not bode well.

Not only do I disagree with several points, it does not address a significant issue: not only do showroom cars still have the lights, people have PAID for them, and in some cases have them listed on their paperwork.

One of my suggested remedies would seem to address this: Reduce the Tech Package price by an appropriate amount, and sell the lights as an option for an equal price.

I am going to be disappointed if this is Tesla's final stance after Elon's review.

Hate to say it, I dont think you are going to get what you seek. Their language that they replaced fog lights with cornering ones is going to be the way they wiggle out of it. In some ways it is true. And if Im being honest, I'm not particularly enraged by the change. While I wont say it's completely fair, I dont think it is reason for outrage. Now $30 3G service, lack of WiFi, and lack of access to the HDD, those are different stories...

Received this e-mail from Corporate in reply to my prior e-mails as noted in the above thread:

Thank you for the note regarding fog lights in Model S.
Our design team’s discussion about the fog lights was primarily focused around their usefulness, especially given their functional overlap with cornering lamps. It was determined that cornering lamps offer greater overall functional utility to the vehicle.

Tesla has made several changes to Model S since product initially began almost a year ago. We continually evaluate ways to improve the performance, reliability, efficiency and cost of our products. With many Model S in customer's hands, we now have real world data to help inform our evaluations. Originally, the Tech Package included Fog Lights and Cornering Lights, but only the Fog Lights were listed as a Tech Package feature on the website. After reviewing functional illumination in real world driving, Tesla determined the Cornering Light offered greater functionality than the Fog Light and having both lights was redundant.

A few other examples of changes include adding the “Creep” functionality and “Range” driving mode to the software of Model S. Our engineering team also just updated the door handles for increased reliability and to provide a bit of mechanic feedback when used. Other changes include the design of the nose cone and adding heated seats as standard equipment for the textile interior. Tesla has also begun to add rear floor mats as a standard feature to Model S along with more robust production front floor mats. We will continue to make adjustments and improvements to the vehicle.

The goal is to delight customers with Model S. Unfortunately, the fog lights were removed from the production line some time ago and are not possible to add back into the vehicle.

...waiting for Elon to chime in.....

what email address are you sending to for these? ownership@?

also, I would love to know their response regarding the missing cup cinchers and the change from glossy spoilers to matte spoilers

This is just weird. I actually don't find the cornering lights as useful as the articulating xenon lights were in my old Cadillac CTS. With the Caddy, I had the full power of the headlights "bending" around corners.

It still seems like it was more effort to remove a bulb and put a plug into the assembly than it would have been to have just left it alone, and as I've mentioned I believe they would still have to produce fog light equipped assemblies for accident damaged cars that had them.

My vote is that Tesla pulled the plug on what apparently were poorly designed / implemented fog lamps rather than spending the effort to sort things out properly.

Automotive lighting - Front fog lamps

I love the citation of "A study has shown that in the United States more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.", WOW is that ever true here in NC.

Although now I'm wondering, since Tesla yanked them from recently produced cars, as one with a Model S with the fog lamps, will Tesla attempt to pull some stunt where a required service bulletin will mandate they remove the fog lamps without my consent on my next service visit. Let the conspiracy begin now! ;)