Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens if you don't use your turning signal? Cornering lights don't come on? I like the fact that they come on as you go into the turn instead of relying on a turn signal.

Well, you should always use your turn signals when turning or lane changing, but aside from that I find my Model S cornering lamps don't come on until I'm already committed to my turn. At least with turn signal activation, you can light up the area to the side of the car before you actually turn.

Put on a lawyer's hat for a moment:

What they're saying is they made a promise of fog lamps, and now they're substituting a promise of turning lights. The fact that they were already shipping turning lamps alongside fog lamps is not relevant. It's what they were promising before, and now they're promising something else.

Unfortunately, that does not agree with what customers are being told/shown.

Well, you should always use your turn signals when turning or lane changing, but aside from that I find my Model S cornering lamps don't come on until I'm already committed to my turn. At least with turn signal activation, you can light up the area to the side of the car before you actually turn.

Lol. So is Elon's solution to driving in the fog to drive in circles or squares?

It's a foggy day today. I'm glad I have my fog lights to help!!! lol

image.jpg

Fog lights (or lack thereof) on new Red

I picked up a Red S on Saturday May 4 at the factory and went on the tour. A funny story is that there were so many Reds there that the first one they introduced to me as mine was in fact the wrong car (the first thing I checked was the VIN and then had to convince the befuddled delivery guy who said he was sure he drove the right car inside and someone else must have moved it). We eventually found mine after it emerged from a sea of other Reds. When I inquired about the fog lamps, my delivery person said they had the "lights guy" around and he later came to talk to me. [By the way, the guy they introduced to me as the lighting expert is the same guy who does the official Model S walkthrough video on vimeo--my father who I brought along recognized him as the "video guy" earlier milling about.] The "light/video" guy told me a story similar to one relayed by a poster at TM forum, although my interpretation of what he was trying to say was that the fog lamp directional beams crossed with the normal headlamp low-beams, thus producing a bright spot or spots. In any case he said quite emphatically that "many people complained about it" and it was removed because they decided the cornering lights were better. Of course he verified that the cornering lights are never both on at the same time, so I don't see how they can be a complete substitute.

Regarding VINs, I personally saw VIN 10050 and 10031 in final assembly in the factory, including one with the elusive "cold weather" option.

Had a fantastic drive home from sea level to 3000'. The car is awesome, fog lights or not. But I was still hoping they would be on the car since I configured with them in place.

So... I've had a bit of a dialog with Elon about this... and Elon has made good on his promise to review the issue, and Tesla is committed to making this right. From what I’ve been told, new-and-improved fog lights will make a re-appearance in the future as an option. People who ordered cars with the understanding that they would have fog lights will be entitled to receive the upgraded version at no cost.

I have to say the guy is a class act. I feel like I'm buying in to a philosophy about car building a much as I'm buying a car. My thanks to him for taking customer feedback in to account.

I'd also like to thank folks here for being measured and constructive in their postings on this thread. My goal was to come across as an enthusiast community that wants to partner with Tesla for their success, and I hope we did that.

So... I've had a bit of a dialog with Elon about this... and Elon has made good on his promise to review the issue, and Tesla is committed to making this right. From what I’ve been told, new-and-improved fog lights will make a re-appearance in the future as an option. People who ordered cars with the understanding that they would have fog lights will be entitled to receive the upgraded version at no cost.

I have to say the guy is a class act. I feel like I'm buying in to a philosophy about car building a much as I'm buying a car. My thanks to him for taking customer feedback in to account.

I'd also like to thank folks here for being measured and constructive in their postings on this thread. My goal was to come across as an enthusiast community that wants to partner with Tesla for their success, and I hope we did that.

Nice work. Congrats.

Please update this thread if/when that ever happens. I would like to take advantage of this, and I assume they won't proactively contact us all to say "Come get your missing fog lights."

I would like the fog lights. Now, if Tesla wants to add the fog lights to a new LED light assembly, I would be willing to pay for that upgrade. That cost, I'm sure, could easily pay for cost Tesla is going to incur to swap out the lights. Basically, turn a disappointment and a cost to Tesla into an opportunity at incremental revenue.

Please update this thread if/when that ever happens. I would like to take advantage of this, and I assume they won't proactively contact us all to say "Come get your missing fog lights."

Sure thing. While I don't want to unduly set expectation for timing and method (things Tesla will obviously want to do), my understanding is that this may take a little time to occur... so we might need to be patient, and when the time comes I'm sure they will either let us know, and/or we can raise some awareness here...