Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are coming to me. I'm over 400 km from the service center.

I'm on the fence about paying extra for the "Anywhere" plan since I live very close to the Service Center. Do these kinds of retrofits and warranty repairs incur the $100 fee if you don't opt for the Anywhere Plan?

The reason I ask is that it is terribly inconvenient for me to get my car (any car) in for service as I have no other way to get to work, job sites and such. If these visits are not covered, I may opt in, and simply have them come to my workplace for these types of things.

I can deal with taking the car in for annual service visits, wheel swaps and so forth, but it's a different matter if it becomes much more than that.

The reason I ask is that it is terribly inconvenient for me to get my car (any car) in for service as I have no other way to get to work, job sites and such. If these visits are not covered, I may opt in, and simply have them come to my workplace for these types of things.
Does Tesla give loaners when cars are in for service? I thought they did, although Enterprise rent-a-cars rather than Teslas.

You could come to the montreal service, no? Less than 400 Km! But anyway, if they are going to you then why not! At least it's an indication that it's not necessarily a complicated retrofit.

If you are ever in the Montreal area btw, would be happy to meet up and say hi in person :)

Yes, I could probably go to Montreal if I needed to. But I'd rather get the anywhere plan. I do come to Montreal once in a while, though, and it would be fun to meet some more Montreal owners.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on the fence about paying extra for the "Anywhere" plan since I live very close to the Service Center. Do these kinds of retrofits and warranty repairs incur the $100 fee if you don't opt for the Anywhere Plan?

As I understand it, "due bill" items are excluded, but warranty repairs incur the fee.

Might well be worthwhile.

- - - Updated - - -

Does Tesla give loaners when cars are in for service? I thought they did, although Enterprise rent-a-cars rather than Teslas.

Yes, I got an Enterprise rent-a-car when I visited Toronto recently. Unfortunately the car was something of a horror story (no fault of Tesla's). See Winter Ice Adventure

In my case, I'd have to drop the car off the night before and get the loaner car then so that I could get to work the next morning. Probably too much to ask. Whenever I take my current ICE in for maintenance I use a dealer about 1/2 mile from my office rather than the dealer I bought it at for this very reason. I used to use the selling dealer where I live, and they always provided a free loaner, but by the time I got there after they opened in the morning I still ended up being late for work.

Ah, yes, I see the problem. I have the same one, now that I see that the Tesla service center is only open from 9 AM to 6 PM. So, I'll also have to drop off the car the night before. My BMW dealer used to be open from 6 AM to midnight, which worked much better for me.
In my case, I'd have to drop the car off the night before and get the loaner car then so that I could get to work the next morning. Probably too much to ask.

sent via Tapatalk

So is the retrofit generally available now? Or are they prioritizing only customers in really cold areas?

We have fairly mild weather wear I live, but even when the inside of the car is warm, the defogger doesn't keep the windshield clear really. Though I have to admit, cleaning the inside of the windshield once every couple weeks (I just wipe it with a towel, no chemicals or water) helps a lot for some reason.

We had heavy rain all day yesterday with temps around 40 F. I had no windshield fogging, but the drivers side window did start to fog up. I found directing airflow to the dash vents, and then aiming the far left and right ones towards the side glass helped a lot. Had to turn the fan speed up a bit too.

I asked about getting the retrofit when at the service center today, after substantial driver's window and left edge of windshield fogging during a drive in snow to NYC Friday. They told me they have some of the parts but not the revised grille so can't do the retrofit yet.

Under more extreme conditions there's nothing you can do about the driver's side window. Pointing the side vents at it isn't enough; it inexorably frosts over.

That's not encouraging because I don't thing the front defroster retrofit is going to address that. For years now, cars have had separate vents for the side windows, sometimes on the A-pillar, sometimes on the top edge of the dash and sometimes actually ducted to the door itself.

Doug,

I assume you're using the Laval service center? Are you having issues getting service and/or ranger service?

I've been dealing with Toronto since 2010... I don't know if they're planning on switching me over to Laval, but I am in Ontario despite being somewhat closer to Montreal.

Ranger service has always been fantastic. Eli was needed in Toronto this week because they just hired TWO new technicians and it's their first week on the job. Not a good time for him to be away from the shop.

I guess after loosing Mark to Vancouver they needed to double down to replace him! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

That's not encouraging because I don't thing the front defroster retrofit is going to address that. For years now, cars have had separate vents for the side windows, sometimes on the A-pillar, sometimes on the top edge of the dash and sometimes actually ducted to the door itself.

It might be okay, actually. Currently the right-hand window stays clear even as the left-hand window frosts over completely. So if they can make it just as good on the left side all should be okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if the cars they are building now have the revised vent design?

Most likely yes.