Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the HVAC set to "range mode" and the power defrost off, AC off, mode set to allow in outside air, fan set to 3, vent modes set to foot (to keep feet warm) and windshield and temperature set to 72, with Climate control on pretty much all the time, I do not have fogging. if I leave the climate control off, and fog forms, it's too late, it kind of takes over and takes a while to disappear. compared to the Leaf, the S's climate control is much more efficient and can be left on pretty much all the time. I wouldn't dream of doing this in the Leaf, it would eat half the range. around here with all the damp air, people typically have quite a struggle with fogging in the Leaf. the fogging issue is mostly an EV thing, related to the lack of waste heat coming from the ICE which is constantly drying an ICE car out.

I've been dealing with Toronto since 2010... I don't know if they're planning on switching me over to Laval, but I am in Ontario despite being somewhat closer to Montreal.

Ranger service has always been fantastic. Eli was needed in Toronto this week because they just hired TWO new technicians and it's their first week on the job. Not a good time for him to be away from the shop.

I guess after loosing Mark to Vancouver they needed to double down to replace him! :wink:

Ok. I agree Ranger Service has been fantastic in the last two years. Mark and Eli were amazing. I just feel that Laval is as little bit disorganized and somewhat slow to answer requests.

Today a brand-new "off the truck" Model S dropped by for a charge, and it has the mod. The difference is plainly visible:

IMG_1561.JPG

My car.

IMG_1560.JPG

New car.

As you can see, there is now a physical vent sticking through the grille. So there should be no confusion about whether you have the mod or not - you can see it!

Today a brand-new "off the truck" Model S dropped by for a charge, and it has the mod. The difference is plainly visible:

View attachment 18359
My car.

View attachment 18358
New car.

As you can see, there is now a physical vent sticking through the grille. So there should be no confusion about whether you have the mod or not - you can see it!

Woah, sorry but that is a seriously ugly mod. That front dash part was so sleek and flat. Now with this venting insert it really kills the look. I thought they were going to change the angle of the ductwork under the panel and have it blow more sideways. Here everything is visible and the front dash no longer has that smooth line.

Last edited:

Was this a factory install or an upgrade from the service center? Do you know if we are supposed to ask for the mod explicitly or will they just call us for the upgrade when its our turn?

- - - Updated - - -

Woah, sorry but that is a seriously ugly mod. That front fash part was so sleek and flat. Now with this venting insert it really kills the look. I thought they were going to change the angle of the ductwork under the panel and have it blow more sideways. Here everything is visible and the front dash no longer has that smooth line.

To be fair, I'd like to see it from further back so I can see it with more context before passing judgment.

Was this a factory install or an upgrade from the service center? Do you know if we are supposed to ask for the mod explicitly or will they just call us for the upgrade when its our turn?

No way to be sure, but the truck literally dropped off the car at the guy's house yesterday morning. Either the factory put it in, or it was installed on the way through Toronto. If I think of it I'll ask Eli when he drops by to install mine.

To be fair, I'd like to see it from further back so I can see it with more context before passing judgment.

It looks just fine. Honestly, I don't think most people would notice it, especially since most cars have things like that on their dashboard.

No way to be sure, but the truck literally dropped off the car at the guy's house yesterday morning. Either the factory put it in, or it was installed on the way through Toronto. If I think of it I'll ask Eli when he drops by to install mine.

I'll bet it was done in Toronto. When I picked mine up last Saturday, there was a stack of the old unmodified pieces on one of the workbenches, which I presume must have come out of the cars that were delivered. At the time, I didn't know if they were new pieces or old, but based on your picture, they were definitely the old unmodified style.

I never thought to look into any of the other cars that were there on the shop floor. Not sure why mine wasn't done if others were. Perhaps it's because they know I live very close to the SC and could easily have it done later...

Gents,

For those who have had the upgrade done (Doug), does it also fix fogging on the driver's-side window? Mine is always fogged up and there's no air coming out of the side vent closest to the window. I have to blast the fan at 7 or 8 and put the shoulder-level vents on manually, etc... it's a pain. Just wondering if the vent upgrade helps that?

That is what the upgrade is for. I haven't got enough real world data yet to pronounce on its effectiveness, but it looks promising.

Hi Doug, sorry for being thick. :) I thought I'd read somewhere that it's for the driver's side of the windshield (which also fogs up).

Did you happen to notice if they did the same mod on the passenger side in order to have some symmetry in the dash?

I'm getting my mod done next week at the Laval service center, just curious...

Hi Doug, sorry for being thick. :) I thought I'd read somewhere that it's for the driver's side of the windshield (which also fogs up).
It's supposed to help with *both* the driver's side of the windshield *and* the driver's side window. Looking at it, it probably will.
Did you happen to notice if they did the same mod on the passenger side in order to have some symmetry in the dash?
Good question.

I'm getting my mod done next week at the Laval service center, just curious...

Yes it's apply on both side in order to have a symmetry.

Last edited:
Yes, both sides.

The original grille has a solid back, except for two rectangular cutout areas that have seals that connect to ducts in the dash. It looks to me like it was originally designed to include these vents. Probably at some point they decided to go for a "clean look", but unfortunately didn't retest it in severe winter conditions (probably couldn't retest if the change was made after last winter).

Outside view of S-defroster diy ez fix. May help you until the real thing comes along. Whenever I notice a thin haze developing across the windshield, I turn enviro ON usually just @ LO, fan speed=2, and it goes away before becoming an issue. Fan=3 is the most I've ever had to use, and just briefly. Originally planned on spraying it flat black but its now firmly in position so wth, left passersby turn up their noses. :rolleyes:
--

S-defroster2.jpg

More content from the High Country Test Station - distribute freely.

So I was just contacted by my local service centre to ask if I have had the defroster vent retrofit. (I have not).

From what I've read on various threads, I've seen people complaining about the reflection in the windshield. Any other issues/complaints with the retrofit? I do like the clean look of the mesh grille so I'm just trying to decide whether I want to proceed or not.

From what I've read on various threads, I've seen people complaining about the reflection in the windshield. Any other issues/complaints with the retrofit? I do like the clean look of the mesh grille so I'm just trying to decide whether I want to proceed or not.

I'm asking to have it done. Like you, I prefer the "clean" look of the original grille, but I don't think the new louvers are any worse than on any other car. For me, it's more important to have the windows clear and not have to use a scraper on the interior glass like Doug_G had to do last winter!

The only "issue" that I've heard about is rattles and squeaks after the retrofit is done. They actually have to tear the dash down pretty far. Hopefully by now they've "perfected" the retrofit process and this won't be an issue.

So I was just contacted by my local service centre to ask if I have had the defroster vent retrofit. (I have not).

You definitely want the grilles. And complaints about reflections are ludicrous. Unless you spend all your time staring at your hood while driving, or have never driven almost any other model of car in existence, you won't even notice it.

I had a rattle at first, but it was because they hadn't quite perfected the installation procedure yet (mine was one of the first done). Eli fixed it and no problem since then.

You definitely want the grilles. And complaints about reflections are ludicrous. Unless you spend all your time staring at your hood while driving, or have never driven almost any other model of car in existence, you won't even notice it.

+1 ... I had the grill updated last spring and I noticed the reflection on the 1st day and then promptly forgot about it until reading this thread reminded me of it ... not an issue.