Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, tangent I realize but who knows what the difference is between 980 and 990 motors and will tell me...

I definitely don't know. There is speculation, based on circumstantial evidence, that it is the max current spec on the inverter that is different (840A vs. 630A). There is some posted information piecing together the evidence for that speculation in the Model 3 Motors Thread .

Keep in mind it is entirely speculative. I haven't seen any teardowns, and it's not even clear whether it would be evident from that. It's entirely unclear why Tesla would choose to start using a different part number now (now meaning beginning of 2019...not clear exactly when it started).

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
I like this thinking! But I also like to think the LC Tesla's part catalog showed for the 990 could mean Ludicrous Compatible, not that I really believe that.

If any of that were the case they'd be using the 990 in Ps- and thusfar they don't appear to be.

Previously all Model 3s got the 980. P, AWD, RWD, LR, SR, didn't matter.

Sometime in the last 3 months (I think April is the earliest confirmed, but I guess it could be earlier) at least some number of AWD non-P cars began getting 990s, for reasons unknown.

I think April is the earliest confirmed, but I guess it could be earlier

That is correct for the US. We also have no US AWD non-P data for cars built from 1/2019 to 3/2019.

However, we do have data from AWD non-P cars shipped to Europe, build dates or arrival (not sure which) around 2/2019. They were (for the reported motors) 990 motors.

It's also possible there were zero AWD cars built for the US market in Q1, which may be why we lack data; seems fairly unlikely, but I can't remember, and that was time for the push into other markets. In any case, it may explain the relative paucity of data on US AWDs in that timeframe if a lot were going to Europe.

One of these days I expect we'll have some US AWD non-P owner report with a built date in that timeframe, assuming those vehicles exist.

If any of that were the case they'd be using the 990 in Ps- and thusfar they don't appear to be.

Sometime in the last 3 months (I think April is the earliest confirmed, but I guess it could be earlier) at least some number of AWD non-P cars began getting 990s, for reasons unknown.

Perhaps we could start a similar 990/980 discussion on the Tesla forum? There might be a Tesla employee lurking who could explain the difference between the 990 and 980 DUs?

This thread has almost 30k views. I feel like if there was a lurking Tesla employee, they would have spoken in this thread by now if they wanted to provide some insight on any of this - such as motor or model specific hardware differences.

Was just a suggestion... more eyes, more chances of getting a Tesla read. So far, we have 29 pages of just speculation here...

I don't know how Tesla does things of course, but I could imagine maybe they had many more 980 DU's set aside for the P3D line inventory than they were actually getting orders for, before the price drops and stealth stealth reintroduction. So maybe they started using that same inventory for building the AWD/P3D-. And maybe the P3D line is just working through their inventory of 980's before changing over and making the 990 official for the P3D too? Right now it doesn't seem like any 990's have been used for P3D, and inventory cars with 990's don't seem to be able to be sold as P3D-. Maybe 990's are lesser and will never be used in models above the AWD, or maybe it just hasn't happened yet. There just isn't enough confirmed info for me to give up hope for the 990's potential yet.

I don't think Tesla employees would be able to freely post about these things.