Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not clear from the petition whether you're expecting a free upgrade to your current car, asking for Tesla to offer a software upgrade for a price, a hardware upgrade for a price, or the configuration for new orders in the US not related to your current car.

Did you read the last paragraph?

We are simply asking you to make available for purchase a firmware upgrade to enhance our ownership experience and allow us to even further wow the world to what the Model 3 can do.

Are we back to the notion that a P is all software? Not sure I agree 100%....

The P3D- is all software.

Evidence in favor of this:

The PNs on all powertrain parts are 100% identical to AWD- both in the parts catalog and on every actual car owners have looked at and posted pictures of.

and

A number of folks who ordered Ps, but were delivered AWD cars, had the AWD software-flashed to a P on the lot.

And

Much above 60-70 mph the P and AWDs actual performance is nearly identical too despite the software differences.... and the dyno curves make it pretty clear the AWD is being software limited below that.

Versus...evidence against:

Literally nothing other than Elon making a vague tweet about binned motors before the first P was ever sold. (which isn't even evidence against if it turns out all motors passed the testing which would make sense given the PN thing- in contrast when Intel or AMD or Nvidia or...anyone... actually bins parts with significant performance differences they give them different part numbers after all)

Versus...evidence against:

Literally nothing other than Elon making a vague tweet about binned motors before the first P was ever sold. (which isn't even evidence against if it turns out all motors passed the testing which would make sense given the PN thing- in contrast when Intel or AMD or Nvidia or...anyone... actually bins parts with significant performance differences they give them different part numbers after all)

Not all the time do they receive different part numbers. Intel for example, issues different part numbers on processors that they deem "perform better" and many times are the same processors used for entry level processors (identified by batch number, such as what has been seen in the Intel I7 series). The "unlocked" processors are able to withstand the abuse of being unlocked, while hacking a locked processor to obtain overclocking capabilities with the same batches of that of the unlocked processor has yielded negative results - usually a burned out processor.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I think this is easy money for Tesla. I did not buy P3D- as I felt the original ~$10k price difference between AWD and P3D- was too much. With those original P buyers (both P3D+ and P3D-) getting $5k back, the AWD to P3D- price difference becomes ~$5k.

That said, I think it will open another round of issues if they allow any AWD to pay $5k to become P3D-:
- Possible cannibalization of new P3D+ sales by people purchasing AWD.
- Offering so much acceleration but not having the same stopping power as P3D+ (which has better brakes). Yes, P3D- suffers from this but that is a small, limited number and it is in the past now. Tesla may not want to have more of these out there.
- Negates what Elon said about "binned" motors. Many clear examples of AWD being switched via software to P3D- in 2018. If Tesla officially offers an upgrade path, it will give the naysayers another reason to attack him.

Last edited:
Signed even though I have no intention of upgrading. Just signed to support those that do. My LR AWD is already so much faster than any car I've ever driven I seriously wouldn't know what to do with the extra power.

Wouldn't the upgrade have to be $10k for price parity? Also, would it be a way of getting a Model 3 Performance under the radar of the insurance companies since technically still a LR AWD for insurance pricing purposes. Just curious.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Signed even though I have no intention of upgrading. Just signed to support those that do. My LR AWD is already so much faster than any car I've ever driven I seriously wouldn't know what to do with the extra power.

Wouldn't the upgrade have to be $10k for price parity? Also, would it be a way of getting a Model 3 Performance under the radar of the insurance companies since technically still a LR AWD for insurance pricing purposes. Just curious.

Parity would be ~$5k because P3D+ and P3D- buyers ~Oct 2018 had the opportunity to give up Free Supercharging to get $5k back.

Yeah but the price difference right now is $10k. Of course you get better brakes, bigger wheels and presumably better suspension in the P3D so maybe that makes up the other $5k?

Right! Back then, it was $5k for the Performance Upgrade Package (better brakes, bigger wheels, etc) which is what made the P3D- into a P3D+. Currently, the only P offered is the P3D+.

- Offering so much acceleration but not having the same stopping power as P3D+ (which has better brakes). Yes, P3D- suffers from this but that is a small, limited number and it is in the past now. Tesla may not want to have more of these out there.
Besides better brakes, you'd also need a rear spoiler and tires with Z-Speed rating if you want to unlock higher top speed.

Not all the time do they receive different part numbers. Intel for example, issues different part numbers on processors that they deem "perform better" and many times are the same processors used for entry level processors (identified by batch number, such as what has been seen in the Intel I7 series). The "unlocked" processors are able to withstand the abuse of being unlocked, while hacking a locked processor to obtain overclocking capabilities with the same batches of that of the unlocked processor has yielded negative results - usually a burned out processor.

Uh... you appear confused and are arguing the exact reverse thing....

What Intel does is test the chips and the "best" ones are sold with a different PN as unlocked chips that can overclock higher.

That's kind of the entire point of binning.

the locked and unlocked ones have different part numbers

What intel sometimes does is take a higher spec part and put a lower spec PN on it if they have too large a batch of the higher spec ones and need more inventory for lower spec...

But what Intel never does is use the same PN on a part that CAN hit a performance target for that PN{/B] and then use the same PN on another piece that CAN NOT hit that same target.

Since the drive units on the AWD and the P3 are exactly the same we know that AWD drive units are at least capable of hitting the spec required for a P.... since when your P drive unit fails you'll be getting the same PN replacement drive unit as an AWD owner will.

if AWD units were somehow incapable of doing the same thing as a P drive unit they'd have different part numbers so that warranty replacement didn't end up putting a lower-spec DU in a P.

That's not the case though. AWD and P have the same drive units per PN both in the catalog and physically inspecting both cars by a bunch of owners on here.