Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For reference, here in UK

SR+ is GBP £38050 includes £3500 for gov grant / £41550 excl gov grant
P- is GBP £48590 inc £3500 gov grant
PUP is GBP £3700 (so P3+ is £52290 inc £3500 gov grant)

LR AWD was GBP £47050 inc £3500 gov grant before it was 'discontinued'

For comparison purposes, gives differences of

SR+ to LR AWD of GBP £9000
LR AWD to P3- of GBP £1540
LR AWD to P3+ of GBP £5250 (at UK launch it was something like £10k)
SR+ to P3- of GBP £10540
SR+ to P3+ of GBP £18100

Suspect LR AWD is currently discontinued to maximise income during early take up - may have back fired as many P3+ owners downgraded to P3- as they didn't want 20" wheels). Basically at launch there was SR+, LR AWD and P3+, but within the month, the lineup effectively changed to SR+, P3- and P3+ (latter by virtue of the PUP offered on P3-). The big differentiator between LR AWD and P3- other than the obvious, is that only SR+ and LR AWD allowed the tow hitch, so by virtue of LR AWD disappearing, its just the SR+ that has that option - suspect its just a homologation timing issue with P3-, but doubt it will be offered on P3+ due to conflict in 20" tyre speed vs load conflict (PUP increases speed to 162mph over the P3- which may have been the same as LR AWD as both have 18" Aeros - no wheel upgrade other than via PUP).

Long and short of things in UK is that LR AWD to P3- is £1540. For reference FSD software unlock is £5800 at time of purchase so I suspect for software features, £ / $ is pretty much parity.

Last edited:
It's not clear from the petition whether you're expecting a free upgrade to your current car, asking for Tesla to offer a software upgrade for a price, a hardware upgrade for a price, or the configuration for new orders in the US not related to your current car.

Really?

"We are a group of EV enthusiasts and Model 3 LR AWD owners"

"We are simply asking you to make available for purchase a firmware upgrade to enhance our ownership experience"

Seems pretty clear to me.

Long and short of things in UK is that LR AWD to P3- is £1540. For reference FSD software unlock is £5800 at time of purchase so I suspect for software features, £ / $ is pretty much parity.

Thanks for sharing that information! Since P3D- is currently being sold in UK, I'll scratch that reason off my list for why Tesla might not offer a AWD to P3D- upgrade.

That said, I think it will open another round of issues if they allow any AWD to pay $5k to become P3D-:
- Possible cannibalization of new P3D+ sales by people purchasing AWD.
- Offering so much acceleration but not having the same stopping power as P3D+ (which has better brakes). Yes, P3D- suffers from this but that is a small, limited number and it is in the past now. Tesla may not want to have more of these out there.
- Negates what Elon said about "binned" motors. Many clear examples of AWD being switched via software to P3D- in 2018. If Tesla officially offers an upgrade path, it will give the naysayers another reason to attack him.

Last edited:
[nice dream]Hopefully when the new BMW 3M comes out Tesla will have some extra front motor power to update the Performance and also give us AWDers a "hit" too. Maybe like 2.9/3.9 0-60.[/nice dream]

Since the software update the AWD already does 0-60 in 4 flat in official magazine testing... (a couple of members have managed to even dip into the very high 3.9x range)

What speed rating are your tyres? What is top Speed of your P3?

In UK, the only P3D that has 162mph top speed is the full version, ie spoiler, red calipers, lowered, 20" wheels/tyres... The base performance (ie no PUP) is 145mph, same as LR AWD

Last edited:
What speed rating are your tyres? What is top Speed of your P3? Do you have spoiler and red brake calipers?

In UK, the only P3D that has 162mph top speed is the full version, ie spoiler, red calipers, lowered, 20" wheels/tyres... The base performance is 145mph.

The lowest speed rating of any tire ever sold for the Model 3 in the US is the Primacy MXM4 18s that is the standard wheel on everything but the P3D+ (indeed as noted- these exact tires came on the Performance model in the US too without the 20" tire wheel package as the P3D-)

Service rating is 98 W which means speed rated for 168 miles per hour. Higher than the top speed on any version of the Model 3.

When the pickup is available, I'll sell someone my P3D-. Upgrades in sig, below.

That's gonna be a while if it's not even announced until later this summer. Nice mods though.

You guys got robbed. My P3D- matches the "+" software in every way. Track Mode, Top Speed, all of that. Only differences are hardware.

The base UK P3 still gets you track mode. The 162mph top speed is not a value-adding feature for 99.999% of people, so I would hardly call it robbery.

Reactions: M109Rider