Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I have a LR AWD.

my exact config is $8000 less today than when I bought Q3/18.

Of course I got a $5625 larger tax credit than a buyer today will, and I've saved roughly $2000 in gas over the time I've had it...and I don't have to pay another $300 to add homelink after the fact... and I got the $14 phone cables and the $35 14-50 adapter all of which I use daily....so net cost for getting to drive an excellent car for about 10 months compared to "waiting" for it be cheaper turns out to be... $26.

Oh, wait, I also paid $200 less destination charge.... so I suppose I'm actually $174 ahead versus having waited...

Oh, wait, again.... I also got lifetime free premium connectivity- which means if they ever actually get around to charging new buyers for that I come out even further ahead...

I can get a guy who bought a white P3D on July 2nd 2019 being upset by this change, but 2018 AWD buyers have done ok.

If you've already saved $2000 in gas, that's impressive.

How much you were impacted does vary depending on your tax liability though. For me, it was right around $3700 for 2018.

Also, are you including Autopilot purchase? I didn't buy but it's still an additional $3k for me instead of being free and built in the car price like it is now. So $3635 difference if you include tax credit, $6635 if you include AP.

Lifetime Premium connectivity is definitely nice, though wouldn't be any kind of deal breaker for me.

If you've already saved $2000 in gas, that's impressive.

It costs about $2 to "fill" the Tesla versus ~$50 to fill the Lexus it replaced, and we drive 400-500 miles a week on average... we do still have one ICE Acura, but drive it a minority of the time so the bulk of our gas costs have gone away.

How much you were impacted does vary depending on your tax liability though. For me, it was right around $3700 for 2018.

Yeah- we are DINKs so 7500 tax liability was no problem

Also, are you including Autopilot purchase?

I bought EAP, so paid 5k for the stuff current buyers have to drop 6k for FSD to get....which I suppose would make my #s look even better until FSD-unique features become a thing.... but being more apples-to-apples I was comparing my car with FSD (which I have and which was 3k more on top of EAP) to the same config today with FSD.... which is an $8000 total price difference in the configurator, and as per my previously listed math actually more expensive for me today if I'd waited versus buying when I did.

Cheaper to purchase, sure, but you also don't get as much of a tax incentive.

But yeah I'm feeling the sting bad, too. Last month I paid $49,900 + $1,500 for white pearl paint = $51,400

That same car now costs only $47,990 since it's cheaper and pearl white is standard now.

Almost $3.5k less.

*gut punch*

Also, I thought the new standard white was supposed to be a plain white and not pearl white.

I got you beat... $16,310 hit for me as of today:pwowzerr! But just remember, Tesla doesn't discount or play those shady dealership games :p

That being said, I've saved $2000 in 10 months because of free supercharging (over paid supercharging), or about $4000 over gas.

If you remove the Tax credit difference, I am at about 11k over.... Guess I gotta keep up my SC habits for the next 5 years!

Well damn.

I just saw the price adjustments. We are now at UK price parity here in the US.

The Performance+ is now just $7k more than the LR AWD. With the PUP value at $5k that puts the software at $2k.

I paid $51.9k for my AWD and could have had a full P for an extra $3k had I waited a few weeks.

That stings.
yes it ****ing sucks but one of my main things against the P3d was the 20s

If anything, we'll get that performance upgrade sooner than later.

I just got my lr awd on 6/29

With the 7/15/19 price change, I'll upgrade immediately if they offer the LR-AWD to P3D- software unlock for $2k since this seems the be the "market value" of the software. I probably won't upgrade if it's anything higher.

Offering this upgrade for $2k will make me feel like I offset my loss of paying $8k for EAP+FSD at delivery when I could have paid $5k later. You win some and you lose some.

Reactions: Scott7 and TyH2009
With the 7/15/19 price change, I'll upgrade immediately if they offer the LR-AWD to P3D- software unlock for $2k since this seems the be the "market value" of the software. I probably won't upgrade if it's anything higher.

Offering this upgrade for $2k will make me feel like I offset my loss of paying $8k for EAP+FSD at delivery when I could have paid $5k later. You win some and you lose some.

Since the hit to our LR AWD is north of $2000, perhaps they will do something special for us as they have done in the past with other models? Here's to hopin'! o_O

Okay, I'm not whining, but no longer would be willing to pay the $2000-$5000 for the software upgrade (signed petition), given the price drop announced yesterday. So, I wouldn't sign the same petition today. Perhaps, like I heard was done in the past, Tesla will offer something for recent LR AWD purchasers to easy latent unhappiness with the recent value "hit"? Maybe free software upgrade to P3D 0-20 acceleration only? Here's to hopin'! :p

Same.

Even if it's only to 3.5 seconds vs. the 3.2 that the P3D gets, I'd do that for $2,000. Going from 4.4 to 3.5 would be a nice jump.

Pretty sure it went from 4.5 (maybe 4.6?) to 4.4.... even on Tesla's website it says 4.4 seconds.

Tesla lies though.

They use 1 foot rollout for testing the P cars, but not for non-P cars. It's dishonest as hell- everyone else uses the same testing for all their cars.

Measuring the AWD the way the P is measured gets you 4.0

As confirmed by not just several users here with calibrated test devices, but car magazines as well.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor First Test Review - MotorTrend