Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it makes sense to offer it, but not at $2k. But we'll see. I think Tesla would rather you trade in your car toward a P model.

And why would they rather us do that?

Do you know how unlikely it is for most people to trade in? It's a huge financial hit and hassle. Not to mention the excessive depreciation already from all the price drops. Tesla isn't dumb and probably realizes this. I'm betting less than 5% of AWD owners would trade in and that's just a terrible financial decision to begin with for most people. A one time 5k charge is a much much easier thing for the vast majority of people to do (even more so if it can be put on a cc on your account). Tons more people will opt for that. The math makes way more sense.

I think that's kind of what he's saying - $2k is too small a price to extract from existing AWD owners. It's quite likely Tesla can charge more to these owners, since as you say, the cost of trading in (and paying sales tax on the entire vehicle price again, not to mention depreciation) is much higher for these owners.

So I think he agrees with you. Having a bit of a hard time following all of this though.

I think that's kind of what he's saying - $2k is too small a price to extract from existing AWD owners. It's quite likely Tesla can charge more to these owners, since as you say, the cost of trading in (and paying sales tax on the entire vehicle price again, not to mention depreciation) is much higher for these owners.

So I think he agrees with you. Having a bit of a hard time following all of this though.

Not sure I agree with $2000 not being enough, given the $2200 drop in price and lost residual value. In a sense, it’s like a $4400 upgrade to those owners of recent AWD owners who took delivery just before the price change. More for longer owners.

Not sure I agree with $2000 not being enough, given the $2200 drop in price and lost residual value. In a sense, it’s like a $4400 upgrade to those owners of recent AWD owners who took delivery just before the price change. More for longer owners.

I'm not going to parse the true loss in value for specific situations, as it's difficult to keep track of (I've only kept track of my own P3D+ price change).

I'm not suggesting what is fair...I'm just suggesting this could be Tesla's thinking on this topic. Realistically, they can probably extract more money from existing AWD owners. Anyway, it's easy enough for them to determine - they just have to offer it at a high price initially and see how many takers they have. This is assuming that it is even possible of course (binned motors, yada yada...I am not trying to start a discussion about that ;) ) . Anyway, the people who are buying new P3D Stealth now are the lucky ones who are getting good value (for now). Late bird gets the worm, I guess! Happy for them.

Reactions: jebinc
I'm not going to parse the true loss in value for specific situations, as it's difficult to keep track of (I've only kept track of my own P3D+ price change).

I'm not suggesting what is fair...I'm just suggesting this could be Tesla's thinking on this topic. Realistically, they can probably extract more money from existing AWD owners. Anyway, it's easy enough for them to determine - they just have to offer it at a high price initially and see how many takers they have. This is assuming that it is even possible of course (binned motors, yada yada...I am not trying to start a discussion about that ;) ) . Anyway, the people who are buying new P3D Stealth now are the lucky ones who are getting good value (for now). Late bird gets the worm, I guess! Happy for them.

Agreed!

Do you know how unlikely it is for most people to trade in? It's a huge financial hit and hassle. Not to mention the excessive depreciation already from all the price drops. Tesla isn't dumb and probably realizes this. I'm betting less than 5% of AWD owners would trade in and that's just a terrible financial decision to begin with for most people. A one time 5k charge is a much much easier thing for the vast majority of people to do (even more so if it can be put on a cc on your account). Tons more people will opt for that. The math makes way more sense.

I agree with you? I’m just saying it’s unlikely to be $2k.

Perhaps 2k is too little. I can't speak on that as I just know I'd pay more and I bet the uptake on the majority of others to pay say $5k would also be very high, especially if it's actually P level power and not something far short of that. And if the upgrade option remained open for a long period of time, that would also give people time to save money for it too.

Either way, it'd still be the biggest performance bargain out there for the money.

I went to Tesla gallery to chit chat with a rep there and casually asked about AWD to performance. He said he also reads forums and seen it asked a lot. He does not know if it’s possible. So he did not says it was impossible so there is still a chance. Since Tesla did not do so well in last quarter ( up for interpretation) maybe they will offer more of paid unlocking software as it is easy money.

Yup- including at least 1 guy whose delivered car has a dual motor badge without the red underline. More evidence these are just AWD cars being software flashed to P.

Let’s see what motors people have these days. There is a hint that perhaps recently there could be different motors installed on AWD (1120990) vs. P3D (1120980).

Of course that actually would maintain some hope for older owners (your point), but may leave new AWD owners SOOL.

We also don’t have nearly enough data yet. Need info from new owners, AWD and P.

Here you go, guys.....you want the P software push (if it's a real thing).
IMG_20190725_095251 (1).jpg

Let’s see what motors people have these days. There is a hint that perhaps recently there could be different motors installed on AWD (1120990) vs. P3D (1120980).

Of course that actually would maintain some hope for older owners (your point), but may leave new AWD owners SOOL.

We also don’t have nearly enough data yet. Need info from new owners, AWD and P.

I have a May 19 build AWD and will try to grab a pic tonight.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This sucks for TSLA and its shareholders. But it may provide some additional incentive for the company to pick up some easy cash over the next couple quarters.

Yep. Greater than expected loss of $400 million. Projected close to break even in 3rd Qtr and profit in 4th Qtr. This would be an easy $100+ million to push that 3rd Qtr into profit and make the investors happy(and us non-P AWD owners happy too).

I just wish we were talking about Model Y AWD => P upgrades. Tesla would be so much better off. Efficiencies wouldn't be quite so good, but there's no red-blooded American who can resist the pull of the crossover utility vehicle.

Was it really so important to spell out S3X before they got to S3XY? What would have been wrong with SXY? It even sounds like S3XY.

I hope they focus all their efforts on bringing Model Y to market ASAP, not booking the free but limited money from Model 3 AWD=> P upgrades. A little less focus on FSD as well. Tesla could be visionary, by giving up on FSD before everyone else does. It's an impossible problem. ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ISoGrumpy
I went to the service center hoping to trade in my AWD (November 2018 build with 10K miles and FSD) for a performance, and they offered me 36K for it, which is close to 50% depreciation, it's ridiculous!

So my only hope is that the upgrade becomes a real thing....